NHS Volunteers

DH still doesn't have a system to allocate volunteers to actual work yet, and no target date for when that will happen

No volunteers deployed anywhere in the North

It's great that people volunteered, but the way DH are handling it is a shambles

The "returners" are just as bad. Only 2 Drs allocated to the North so far. A mate of mine with a CCST in aesthetics has been sent to answer the phones at NHS 111

Is this a government issue, NHS management issue or a bit of both?

Received an email saying they're filtering people through at a 1000 a day, so it'll take a 2-3 weeks to get everyone on board.

I have a DBS certifiate.

What are they volunteering in? If I cannot get a job as a shelf stacker in a supermarket which is very likely as the world would have to be coming to and end for someone to be willing to employ me I only have right now the NHS as neebody else is taking anyone on as they are all closed. That is what I hate about the COVID-19 virus if you are unemployed. You still have to job hunt but it has severely restricted the number of places one can realistically apply to. The only sectors open is the NHS and retail. But I have no experience of the NHS and slightly more experience of retail.
Finding a job is more important than yer health marra 😮

Is this a government issue, NHS management issue or a bit of both?

Both. Ministers made an announcement without thinking it through because they wanted some positive to dominate the news cycle and distract from stories about lack of kit

senior people at NHSE want to take the credit so they get a gong

None of them are good with detail

Finding a job is more important than yer health marra 😮

Yes. You still have to actively job hunt. The internet is surely the primary way in which job seekers apply. We now must spend most of our lives at home. Job seekers have no greater chance to get online and apply. But apply to what? COVID-19 has made it hard for us jobseekers to find a place because so many places are closed. If you have a PhD in medicine or have worked in retail before you are laughing. But what if you haven't.

Yes. You still have to actively job hunt. The internet is surely the primary way in which job seekers apply. We now must spend most of our lives at home. Job seekers have no greater chance to get online and apply. But apply to what? COVID-19 has made it hard for us jobseekers to find a place because so many places are closed. If you have a PhD in medicine or have worked in retail before you are laughing. But what if you haven't.
If you're thinking of volunteering for the NHS, just remember you'll still have to put in your 35 hours a week job search. Make sure you get your priorities right.

Shops are taking anyone one, even with no experience. Shelf stacking isn't really a skilled job and I'm sure you will pick it up quickly.

Has anyone tested the app with a simulated alert? I didn't expect it being so loud and nearly dropped my phone in fright 😂 😂

Shops are taking anyone one, even with no experience. Shelf stacking isn't really a skilled job and I'm sure you will pick it up quickly.

Has anyone tested the app with a simulated alert? I didn't expect it being so loud and nearly dropped my phone in fright 😂 😂
I heard it in Stanley :lol: Aye nearly papped me pants

Received an email saying they're filtering people through at a 1000 a day, so it'll take a 2-3 weeks to get everyone on board.

For clarity, the email says that they are putting less than 1,000 referrals through a day as they are in ‘soft launch’, for the next 2-3 days.

This number relates to people needing help, not volunteers applying.

Last edited:
When I turn mine on to put me in duty, it says that this option will not have any effect. Im presuming that they're not ready to get going, but will at some point soon.

When I turn mine on to put me in duty, it says that this option will not have any effect. Im presuming that they're not ready to get going, but will at some point soon.

That’s because the app was originally designed and deployed for another usage. They have adapted it for NHS volunteers. Just leave the empty box empty and click on-duty when you’re available, it’ll still work.

'Think I've downloaded the wrong app. Mine is GoodSam alerter and not GoodSam responder. It lets me sign in with my details, but the screen that comes up is nothing like the screen in the guidelines they mailed me.
/.
Anyone else had problems downloading the app? I'm on a pretty basic phone and I reckon that may make a difference?

Back