NHS provokes fury with indefinite surgery ban for smokers and obese

Status
Not open for further replies.
You clearly smoke then.

Cameron started the cost cutting, did he not?
Then people voted tory in again.
Whether it was him or his stooges (Landsley, Hunt) i dont know but its no great suprise that a tory government like to pull back on public services through "efficiency"

We basically need more cottage hospitals that are like a halfway between hospital and home, or hospital and residential care.
The likelihood of that happening however...

Black, mate. You don't say "coloured" these days.

Well that's just a ridiculous thing to say. Give your head a shake
It's was a post designed to show people prejudices. It illustrates how things spiral out of control in these message board. Weather your fat black a smoker or gay there should be no preference over hospital treatment. They just selling papers

It's was a post designed to show people prejudices. It illustrates how things spiral out of control in these message board. Weather your fat black a smoker or gay there should be no preference over hospital treatment. They just selling papers

*people's
*whether
*you're
*They're

Other than that, I see where you're coming from. Don't have to scratch the surface deep on here sometimes to find people's prejudices

Granted the tax they pay on cigs somewhat goes towards the NHS, but nowhere near enough.
I think it costs something like over £750 for a bed per day in hospital.

You'd end up smoking yourself to death (ironically) before you'd paid enough in to get treatment, shirley?

The last figures I saw, which admittedly was about 8-10 years ago, tax from smoking was generating 10Bn per year income for the government and smokers were costing 1Bn per year on the NHS. That's ten times as much that smokers have been paying in to the system than they have been taking away.

I can't see them having changed proportion dramatically in that time.

And that doesn't even take into account how many more years the non-smokers will live and therefore end up taking more money from the NHS and from pensions that the smokers on average don't ever take out.

Smokers are propping up this country. Have been for years. And still we get shit from non-smokers and the government alike, when in reality we should be getting applauded in the streets for it.

thoughts are with the families of fat and smelly bastards denied treatment for being fat and smelly there mate. hopefully this news will prevent obese foreigners who smoke from travelling here for health tourism purposes anarl.

The last figures I saw, which admittedly was about 8-10 years ago, tax from smoking was generating 10Bn per year income for the government and smokers were costing 1Bn per year on the NHS. That's ten times as much that smokers have been paying in to the system than they have been taking away.

And that doesn't even take into account how many more years the non-smokers will live and therefore end up taking more money from the NHS and from pensions that the smokers on average don't ever take out.

Smokers are propping up this country. Have been for years. And still we get shit from non-smokers and the government alike, when in reality we should be getting applauded in the streets for it.

I posted this 3 pages back with more up to date figures. Not quite 1/10th anymore but still a surplus
In 2015 tax revenues from tobacco were c. £12 billion. Cost to NHS of smoking was c.£5-6billion.

Bring hamlet adverts back, encourage people to smoke to save our country.

Or we could live healthier lives, thus having a knock on effect of not using NHS resources so much.

Either way...

Bring hamlet adverts back, encourage people to smoke to save our country.

Or we could live healthier lives, thus having a knock on effect of not using NHS resources so much.

Either way...

Thus denying the NHS of the additional 9Bn per year being supplied by smokers but spent on non-smokers.

I posted this 3 pages back with more up to date figures. Not quite 1/10th anymore but still a surplus

And that's just the cost to the NHS. When the total cost to the economy from smoking (lost productivity due to illness, lost taxes due to early death etc) is calculated then the figure is much higher. In 2010 the total cost of smoking was estimated to be 14 billion. Smokers are certainly not propping up the country.

And that's just the cost to the NHS. When the total cost to the economy from smoking (lost productivity due to illness, lost taxes due to early death etc) is calculated then the figure is much higher. In 2010 the total cost of smoking was estimated to be 14 billion. Smokers are certainly not propping up the country.
True but the issue was simply NHS costs

I'd love to see the figures for the cost of non-smoking on the NHS. Years and years of extra life, needing more and more operations, procedures, medication and visits to doctors and hospitals as they get older and older, meanwhile also contributing to the pensions crisis.

Non-smokers must cost the country an absolute effing fortune.

I'd love to see the figures for the cost of non-smoking on the NHS. Years and years of extra life, needing more and more operations, procedures, medication and visits to doctors and hospitals as they get older and older, meanwhile also contributing to the pensions crisis.

Non-smokers must cost the country an absolute effing fortune.
They should shoot a non smoker as soon as a smoker dies. Even the finances up a bit

And what are the figures for how much not smoking costs in extra pensions payed out, and all those additional years of needing doctors and hospitals later in their lives?

And what are the figures for how much not smoking costs in extra pensions payed out, and all those additional years of needing doctors and hospitals later in their lives?
So we should have a cap on age limits, restricting use of the NHS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back