NHS budgeting idea

The current method works providing all the pissheads, fatties and smokers reign it in a bit.
Exactly what I thought.
Just add more tax onto Fags, Fast food and Wine, but not beer, I do like a few pints now and then.
Addction knows no barriers I'm afraid, and high taxes hit the moderate.
Hasn’t this fucker been arguing on the Covid board against passports as too much government intrusion?
I make a genuine effort for the greater good and I'm a fucker.

ps. I don't argue, but you can go through my posts if you need to prove something.
Shite bait marra.
Never had hospital food so cannot comment...I tend to look after myself to not burden the NHS.

Last edited:
This is all about personal responsibility.

Here is my proposal.

Every working adult will have a set amount, say £40 per month taken from their wage at source. Every year on the 1st of December everyone’s medical records will be examined and any treatment that has been administered for self-inflicted illness will be costed against said contributions.

Any ailments resulting from over eating, alcoholism, smoking and other destructive drugs will be charged from your account. If, however, none of your treatments are related to the aforementioned categories, a full rebate plus associated interest will be forthcoming...£500 would make a decent Xmas I think.

It would also be useful to install a worldometer type database to show daily deaths, amputations from obesity etc.

Carrot and stick can work well together.

Also charge folks for:

- treatment of any injuries gained while doing any kind of sporting activity
- treatment of any injuries gained while travelling in or on a motor vehicle or cycling
- treatment of any respiratory illness gained by anyone that has ever travelled by petrol-driven car or motorcycle, diesel train or aircraft
- treatment of any injuries due to personal stupidity
- childbirths
- vasectomies
- hysterectomies
- birth control
- treatment of sexually transmitted diseases and infections

Sounds class. Once the Government take their £35 admin fee for looking at your records I’ll be minted if I stay healthy for the next 20000 years

Also charge folks for:

- treatment of any injuries gained while doing any kind of sporting activity
- treatment of any injuries gained while travelling in or on a motor vehicle or cycling
- treatment of any respiratory illness gained by anyone that has ever travelled by petrol-driven car or motorcycle, diesel train or aircraft
- treatment of any injuries due to personal stupidity
- childbirths
- vasectomies
- hysterectomies
- birth control
- treatment of sexually transmitted diseases and infections
Nothing on your list could be classed as self inflicted or has the cost acceleration of the conditions I mentioned.

How do you know the illness caused by over eating isn't a result of a side effect of treatment of other non self inflicted injury.

For example many antidepressants have weight gain as a common side effect.

How do you know the cancer was caused by smoking and not some other factor?

That's before the cost of the annual review of health data wipes out the income generated

Far too simplistic to have any merit (oh and the proposal isn't well thought out either)
I worked for the NHS mental health team for years and loads of people with mental health problems end up in A/E with self harm / overdose type actions because of mental distress and lack of community services. I wouldn’t like to be making that decision about what they pay and come to think of it most of them can’t work because of their condition. Think we should leave it the way it is.

Could save money by raising free prescriptions age to 66 (or state pension age as it changes) instead of 60 and even then possibly charge 20%
Aye it doesn't make sense to give free prescriptions to people quite likely at the peak of their earning power. ( if you are entitled to free prescriptions for other reasons that is different, but turning 60 isn't really a good reason).
... Every year on the 1st of December everyone’s medical records will be examined and any treatment that has been administered for self-inflicted illness..
Everyone = 60 million or so.

Who will undertake this mammoth task and make the decision to refund or bill on one day?

Last edited:

Back