Next Durham Head Coach

Think it’s fair to say the whole board wants a change, not just in the man but also in the daft title that is being ‘worn’ by the bloke calling the cricketing shots.

So who do you want and who is realistic?

Me?

Colly first choice, but more realistic is probably Dale Benkenstein.

I’d have both in a heartbeat. Two lads who know what it is all about to be Durham CCC.

Benks has went to Gloucester recently but I would like him as well

Colly too involved with England at this stage

It’s going to be a tough one

Benks has went to Gloucester recently but I would like him as well

I know, but compared to us they’re nobody ;)

Make him an offer he can’t refuse, pay him whatever he wants.
Colly too involved with England at this stage

That’s why I said Benks was more realistic, I reckon Colly could walk into just about any job in international cricket and so a gig with us will be fairly small fry by his current standards.

I know, but compared to us they’re nobody ;)

Make him an offer he can’t refuse, pay him whatever he wants.

That’s why I said Benks was more realistic, I reckon Colly could walk into just about any job in international cricket and so a gig with us will be fairly small fry by his current standards.
I agree. I think benks has gone to Gloucester at the season start. Getting him would be difficult I think and not welcomed by them

I want him back though.

Would love to see Colly in the role but realistically can't see it. Although would be more than happy with Benks or maybe as an outside bet my avatar.:lol:
They've all currently got better jobs so dream on. Actually I'd be happy with Walker, Gidman and Raine as captain. They all know what the old Durham is all about. Bring in expert coaching expertise as necessary in a consultant capacity.
But that's a pipedream -Franklin is leading us to oblivion.

Last edited:
You think the Gloucestershire job is better than Durham?
I wouldn't know. But what I do know is that Benks was overlooked for the Head coach position when Cooky stood down in favour of Lewis even though it had been intimated that the coaching position was his.
Presumably,also, he either didn't apply or was overlooked when Franklin was appointed.
He's less than 1 year in to a 3 year deal with Gloucester so why would be be interested in the car crash of a club like Durham is at present?

Last edited:
I wouldn't know. But what I do know is that Benks was overlooked for the Head coach position when Cooky stood down in favour of Lewis even though it had been intimated that the coaching position was his.
Presumably,also, he either didn't apply or was overlooked when Franklin was appointed.
He's less than 1 year in to a 3 year deal with Gloucester so why would be be interested in the car crash of a club like Durham is at present?

Exactly this.

Whether it's a bigger job is irrelevant, benkenstein is a class act and doubtful he'd jump ship like that, especially to a club that overall I'm.sure he loves but there was a sour taste left in the mouth over how it all ended
So who do you want and who is realistic?

Me?

No offense me old mate but I'd prefer someone with a bit more experience

Last edited:
Killeen seems well regarded as a coach. Who knows, Rushy giving it up and try coaching?

these outside lads they’ve got are just passing through, will never have the passion that Durham used to have in them

got to be a known Durham man or ex player next in charge

Killeen seems well regarded as a coach. Who knows, Rushy giving it up and try coaching?

these outside lads they’ve got are just passing through, will never have the passion that Durham used to have in them

Kyle Coertzer 🤔

Well on honours Durham is the bigger club, but for this season at least Gloucestershire are in cc division 1 and doing OK in the Blast unlike us. I'd also expect they're in a better financial situation.

They’re out of the Blast, like us.
They won’t be in Division One next season.

Yes, honours we piss on them. As does our youth development. Not sure on the finances but I suspect we’re better placed to earn more than they are on a longer timeframe…
No offense me old mate but I'd prefer someone with a bit more experience

You don’t know what experience I have 🤷‍♂️

The strong rumour is that next season will be a top division of 12 with a 2nd division of 6. The fall back is 3 divisions of 6. Either way Durham will be in the lowest. Our hitherto excellent academy system has gradually been dismantled with youngsters no longer being given the opportunity to progress. Our location also mitigates against us attracting a high calibre coach. All conjecture though, can't see Franklin going anywhere.
We're doomed.

The strong rumour is that next season will be a top division of 12 with a 2nd division of 6. The fall back is 3 divisions of 6. Either way Durham will be in the lowest. Our hitherto excellent academy system has gradually been dismantled with youngsters no longer being given the opportunity to progress. Our location also mitigates against us attracting a high calibre coach. All conjecture though, can't see Franklin going anywhere.
We're doomed.

How can a competition have any credibility when constructed like that? A top division where I'm guessing they play each other once, for 11 games to be randomly decided which will be home and which will be away and some teams get 6 homes and 5 away and others get 5/6...? Sounds farcical

How can a competition have any credibility when constructed like that? A top division where I'm guessing they play each other once, for 11 games to be randomly decided which will be home and which will be away and some teams get 6 homes and 5 away and others get 5/6...? Sounds farcical
What's credibility got to do with it so long the holy cow of the Hundred is protected and takes place in the prime time of the season?

Would've been nice to be able to promote kills and have bunny step into his role as bowling coach...

Although walker and gidman taking charge of the whiteball team not Killeen suggests he's not at the head of the queue internally

Back