Newcastle pollution charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Cat

Winger
"Newcastle, Gateshead and North Tyneside Councils are to consult on plans which could see tolls on key bridges, or charges of up to £50-per-day for the most polluting vehicles.
The councils say charging will be needed to help tackle what they say is a "public health" crisis."

Robbing bastards.

Do we think think this would have any effect on the Sunderland city centre economy driving people to go to Sunderland rather than Newcastle?

Nah, we go shopping in The Bridges, they've got Eldon Square
That doesn't make any sense.
What I mean is, will people be put off by this and opt to go to Sunderland? The likes of South Tyneside folk.

Will this then have a knock-on effect and benefit Sunderland and Newcastle will lose out. Or as they've claimed it as the capital of the North East anyway will Newcastle continue to roll on like a juggernaut?

Last edited:
Like the Tyne bridge isn't a rush hours car park already without sticking toll booths on it.

Even if they do an ANPR type system where you pay as you pass, the diverted traffic to other routes will bring the region to a standstill.

Idiots man.

The council are proposing a toll for crossing the Tyne, Swing and Redheugh bridges. £1.70 each way from 2021.

I genuinely hope our council jump on this and begin to offer attractive access schemes for our city centre. Free parking, no pollution charge and make the offering more attractive than the local competition. It’s far from rocket science.

I genuinely hope our council jump on this and begin to offer attractive access schemes for our city centre. Free parking, no pollution charge and make the offering more attractive than the local competition. It’s far from rocket science.
^This. I wish I could quadruple 'like' this.

Only a matter time before councils see this as a money making opportunity and introduce city centre tariffs for cars say over 10yr old etc or all diesel or summit ... or increase company parking rates in the centres
I drive a relatively new car paying £20 a year road tax which gives an idea of it’s emissions, if councils start pollution charges I will simply stop going there.

Which is counter to what every progressive city is doing in the world. Fantastic idea.

The council are proposing a toll for crossing the Tyne, Swing and Redheugh bridges. £1.70 each way from 2021.
Seems a lot mind, if you have to travel work 5 days a week , straight quid make more sense .
Also what about all those travelling into Newcastle from north of the city and from the coastal areas , seems to just be penalising those who live or work south of the Tyne ?
Either way , I think some form of tariff will come in if they can push it through

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back