Newcastle pollution charge

i wouldn't have a problem with this if there was a reliable alternative, and electric light rail system for example :lol:

Does not make any sense this. It just penalises people who come into Newcastle from the South, while there is no charge for people coming from the North, or indeed the East and West. Are they really going to force people to drive out to the Scotswood Bridge and back into Newcastle, thereby doing more miles and creating more emissions? These things only work if its a complete zone and everybody pays it.

Does not make any sense this. It just penalises people who come into Newcastle from the South, while there is no charge for people coming from the North, or indeed the East and West. Are they really going to force people to drive out to the Scotswood Bridge and back into Newcastle, thereby doing more miles and creating more emissions? These things only work if its a complete zone and everybody pays it.
Fund raising to cover the losses forced on them by the Tories.

It's tough for people like me who drive into the city centre for work. I can't do my job by public transport. Been to Silverlink today so would either have to pay tolls on the bridges or tolls on the tunnel as I can't get there without crossing the river.

Just checked my log book and my car was registered in 2015 but it's a Euro 5. Bugger!

That's all it is
Highway robbery
Newcastle now has some of the most contrived and rediculous road and bus lanes
There're just reduced the road going past the cathedral and then Up to the station to one lane with the most stupid bit of bike lane by the castle
They've halved the road space which causes congestion that backs right up to the Tyne bridge
At times when city centres need to encourage people to come in they are doing their best to alleviate them
It will kill footfall and business in the city centre
Fenwicks will leave and followed by John Lewis as well as office based business
They should targetting pot of town shopping and retail parks with free parking that a rivalry encourage car use and do nothing for town and city centres

The current labour council are a shambles though.

Remember they spent over 120k of council funds lobbying against the name change at the wonga dome for example

The mess they’ve made of gosforth high street as well.

Westgate Road, past the O2 to the station. The bus lane is on the left and car lane is on the right. Then suddenly it changes sides and you have a few yards of road to move left, while keeping an eye on the lights ahead, pedestrians crossing and taxi's flying out from the left where The Assembly Rooms are.

That's all it is
Highway robbery
There're just reduced the road going past the cathedral and then Up to the station to one lane with the most stupid bit of bike lane by the castle
They've halved the road space which causes congestion that backs right up to the Tyne bridge
At times when city centres need to encourage people to come in they are doing their best to alleviate them
They should targetting pot of town shopping and retail parks with free parking that a rivalry encourage car use and do nothing for town and city centres

This 100% I would rather go to the silverlinks shit shops than have a day out with the missus and bairns in Newcastle because of parking charges and retarded bus lanes cameras etc.

Total shame. But we live in a cash grab shortsighted political council whatever.

Westgate Road, past the O2 to the station. The bus lane is on the left and car lane is on the right. Then suddenly it changes sides and you have a few yards of road to move left, while keeping an eye on the lights ahead, pedestrians crossing and taxi's flying out from the left where The Assembly Rooms are.

John Dobson street camera top 5 earning cameras in the UK had to refund loads of money a couple years ago for inadequate signage not much better now taking it in.

Last edited:
Build a park and ride near Gateshead stadium
There's a huge bit of land opposite where Clarke chapman was that's stood empty for years I think it an old railway marshalling yard

also round by the Gateshead college large area of under utilised land as it round team valley and off scotswood road
These council show absolutely no imagination and use sledgehammer approach to solving issues as most are self inflicted by stupid road systems

Sunderland's proximity to the coast provides cleaner air....i.e. Not surrounded on all sides by vehicles....less vehicles and sea air.
The air quality in Newcastle is notably bad. I think the problem is the volume of cars stuck in traffic jams. The access at peak times is particularly bad.
It's a tricky one....either push more people to public transport, make more park and ride schemes....or wait for electric cars to become the norm

Last edited:
It's as if they are trying to punish residents from the South of Tyne councils because we didn't want to join the North of Tyne Cartel.
I think Gateshead council would need to agree to a toll and at the moment they are refusing to do so.

It's as if they are trying to punish residents from the South of Tyne councils because we didn't want to join the North of Tyne Cartel.
I think Gateshead council would need to agree to a toll and at the moment they are refusing to do so.

I think it's been driven by (pardon the pun) health reasons rather than political ones

I think it's been driven by (pardon the pun) health reasons rather than political ones
That would be easier to accept if they were announcing a toll for the A167 where the air pollution was highest. Anpr cameras to manage it from the junction with the Coast road, then at the South Side of the Tyne bridge.
The other option would to be to introduce a congestion charge for entering the city centre. From Blackett Bridge and Percy Street at the North, right the way down to the Quayside. St James Boulevard would be the western boundary and A167/A186 to the East.

That's all it is
Highway robbery

You don't seem to understand, they do not want to encourage car usage. Contrary to popular belief, the world doesn't fall in when you restrict car usage, in fact it often thrives.

So we have to pay to get to the train station, then pay to leave your car there and then pay for your actual train fare, rediculous !!!!

Back