Newcastle pollution charge

It's not as if the NE is known for it's pollution. Even the worst parts will be low grade in comparison to other areas in the country.

They're extremely high in parts, significantly above the legal limit. Its not exactly surprising, everyone drives everywhere for everything.
Central Government has identified areas of air pollution and tasked Council's with coming up with solutions. The solutions are ultimately less vehicles and / or cleaner vehicles. Government appears to favour a clean air zone rather than tolls on bridges. The clean air zone would charge high emission vehicles entering certain areas but would disproportionately hit poorer families because they are more likely to be driving older more polluting vehicles. However, the Council's have absolutely no real appetite for either. Local politicians who face the electorate at the ballot box every year are not clamoring to introduce these charges. They do however have to develop the options as mandated by Central Government.

The poorest people in society do not own cars, but are often disproportionately affected by them due to living closer to horrible main roads, junctions etc. You simply can't keep going on with the status quo, it's not sustainable, and it's bloody horrible for urban areas.

There is one flaw in this rather bizarre story (probably more actually) that I am aware of. None of the authorities mentioned, have the power to enforce a toll on the Swing Bridge - because none of those authorities own or maintain it.

They're extremely high in parts, significantly above the legal limit. Its not exactly surprising, everyone drives everywhere for everything.

The poorest people in society do not own cars, but are often disproportionately affected by them due to living closer to horrible main roads, junctions etc. You simply can't keep going on with the status quo, it's not sustainable, and it's bloody horrible for urban areas.
I'm not advocating for the status quo, I was merely noting that this isn't Council's chomping at the bit to make these changes as an income generating measure, rather, it is in direct response to Government requirements. Truth be told, the Council's would prefer to not have to act because the options being discussed could be deeply unpopular at the ballot box.

There is one flaw in this rather bizarre story (probably more actually) that I am aware of. None of the authorities mentioned, have the power to enforce a toll on the Swing Bridge - because none of those authorities own or maintain it.
who owns\maintains the swing bridge?

The BBC article mentioned 2021 air pollution targets not being met. If they make it the same for Newcastle as London I.e. 2021+ it’s 12 quid a day unless you have a relatively recent car, it’s disproportionately harsh. London has an infinitely superior public transport system and a typical Londoner who needs to drive in London every day will be wealthier than a typical NE person. Easier for them to suck up the cost of upgrading the car.

Back