Newcastle in tier 3

Yes.
And the people who have succumbed to the virus might agree too.
Sadly the ones who died from it can't.
But you must agree that not everyone has played the game - and the virus has spread because of them.
I'd love you to do a historical review of the 'Black Death' I'm sure it would be an interesting view "it was the peasants fault for being selfish and spreading the plague"

It doesn’t ! They are just rewarding Liverpool for having mass testing ! London was never going above T2 the Tories would not have it ! But NE and NW especially nasty burnham were always going to be kicked
Liverpool tier 2 as their reward for doing what the government asked straight away.
Manchester tier 3 because Burnham caused problems so they’ve put him back in his box

How does testing reduce cases ?

In Liverpool they had mass testing of everyone. That identified every one who had covid regardless of whether or not they showed symptoms. By repeatedly testing and isolating covid cases they were able to target areas with high concentrations of cases and help to prevent new ones. It clearly worked in Liverpool as their cases dropped by two thirds over the few weeks of the testing.

I'm not wound up that we're in T3 as I thought we'd be borderline anyway.

What annoys me is that
A) London isn't when it should be.
B) they've included Northumberland in with the rest of the NE when there's hardly any cases there
C) they've managed to make an exception for Slough to keep the rest of Berkshire in T2, so why cant they do similar up here?

It's usual southern bias
Exactly this, well said

In Liverpool they had mass testing of everyone. That identified every one who had covid regardless of whether or not they showed symptoms. By repeatedly testing and isolating covid cases they were able to target areas with high concentrations of cases and help to prevent new ones. It clearly worked in Liverpool as their cases dropped by two thirds over the few weeks of the testing.

To be fair they tested less than half the city.

Actually, I checked.

From the council website:
Cases per 100,000 people in Canterbury (so not total) in the last week, 224.3.

University Of Kent cases in the same 7 day period 23 on campus, 14 off campus, 3 staff = 40. 286 cases total since 7th September.

Christchurch is a smaller University, with smaller numbers:
142 total, 36 in the last week.

The BBC checker says:
390 total for Canterbury in the last week and 2,393 to date.

That gives 76/390 for the last week = 19%
or (275+142)/2393 in total = 17% total

That is a long way from your 90% claim. I.e. 83% of cases are not from the University.
Do you work for the council Dave? ;)
Seriously though I’m going from school figures and figures supplied by the university. Essentially I’m just a bit off. Given I e been in doors for weeks hoping for a nice walk down to my local for a bite to eat and a beer

Do you work for the council Dave? ;)
Seriously though I’m going from school figures and figures supplied by the university. Essentially I’m just a bit off. Given I e been in doors for weeks hoping for a nice walk down to my local for a bite to eat and a beer
Not the council, but you are more than a bit off!

Not the council, but you are more than a bit off!
Sorry I wasn’t talking about my figures. I meant to say I’m a bit pissed off. Not a bit off. I’ve been indoors for weeks. I just happy take my mrs ‘fake news’ as she works in education down here and all I kept hearing about was the number of students testing positive.

Sorry I wasn’t talking about my figures. I meant to say I’m a bit pissed off. Not a bit off. I’ve been indoors for weeks. I just happy take my mrs ‘fake news’ as she works in education down here and all I kept hearing about was the number of students testing positive.
I don't know where she gets her numbers from, but they are wrong. I understand about being frustrated though, just seems the students are not the group to be frustrated at this time. I think it is a bit of everything. Some pubs, some schools, the Universities, house visits etc. Same as the rest of the country, only we have been lucky so far that numbers have been low down here until the last few weeks.

I was quite surprised when I looked at the figures though. 17-19% is quite high for an area, just to be students so I started looking at population numbers. The last census had the Canterbury population at 43k. UoK student numbers are 19k and 17k at CCCU. That means when the students are in residence, the population of the city swells by 83%! Or put another way, during term time, students make up 45% of the local population. That is almost every other resident you meet will be a student.

I know Canterbury is small and student numbers are high, but I was quite surprised the ratio was so high. Made me realise what a massive difference both universities make to the local economy.

It was still sufficient to bring the numbers down. Imagine if everyone had got off their arses then they could have done even better. Something for all of us to consider when mass testing is rolled out in this area.
Unless testing centres are rolled out in Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham. Some of us have to work and cant spend 2 hours travelling there and back plus queueing time to get daily tests
I'm not wound up that we're in T3 as I thought we'd be borderline anyway.

What annoys me is that
A) London isn't when it should be.
B) they've included Northumberland in with the rest of the NE when there's hardly any cases there
C) they've managed to make an exception for Slough to keep the rest of Berkshire in T2, so why cant they do similar up here?

It's usual southern bias
London cases per 100,000 are 177. North East is 340.

From these figures, why would we not be in a higher tier than London

Last edited:
Unless testing centres are rolled out in Newcastle, Sunderland and Durham. Some of us have to work and cant spend 2 hours travelling there and back plus queueing time to get daily tests

London cases per 100,000 are 177. North East is 340.

From these figures, why would we not be in a higher tier than London

I never said we should not be higher than London, we should be in the same tier

There's areas of East London in the 500's

Rates in London are on the increase

Back