Newcastle Arena Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

The arena is pants like. The sound is rubbish and it's tatty inside.

Seems a better use of space putting it on the land that's earmarked and it's closer to nicer pubs and restaurants on the quayside for before and after gigs.

Newcastle Arena was always going to struggle with Leeds arena opening . Might help having a refresh and it not being a shit hole.

The Leeds one is superb compared to Newcastle's but it's a totally different set up. All of seats standing face the stage for a start. It's designed with music in mind whereas the Newcastle one was primarily for sport (ice hockey) and is awful for music. I think it's a great spot to put it - between Sage and Baltic

Reactions: PTR
Sunderland should have built one YEARS ago :lol:, yet more revenue/tourism going to Newcastle/Gateshead, because lets be honest Gateshead's gain is Newcastle's gain.

Newcastle/Gateshead is far better placed with transport links etc.

It isn't the case of just building a venue as such then off you go. You need all of the behind the scenes infrastructure aswell. Most of the arenas in the UK are ran by big global companies who own a load of similar venues across Europe. They will have long standing relationships with the promoters, and probably negotiate packages to put touring acts on across their venues.

Sunderland don't have a chance in this field because Newcastle have all bases covered. You have the Arena, Academy and 2 university's - all reputable for putting on gigs. Oh, we did have the stadium gigs - but seemingly sacking them off because they were loss making is a great selling point.

Isnt the space the car park for the Baltic and the Gateshead quayside?
The car park and a huge bit of land above it as well.

ps Newcastle arena is a complete dump. Never had a more uncomfortbale 2 hours than the other month in there watching Micky Flanagan

When was the last time a big/decent act was on at The Arena?

Dinnit think I've read on here of many lately.

Ed Sheeran was on three months ago like. I'm not a fan of his to be honest but he's about as big as they come at the minute.

Killers playing there in 5 months anarl, who're also pretty big.

Ed Sheeran was on three months ago like. I'm not a fan of his to be honest but he's about as big as they come at the minute.

Killers playing there in 5 months anarl, who're also pretty big.

2 biggies in 8 months doesn’t sound a lot mind.

The Leeds one is superb compared to Newcastle's but it's a totally different set up. All of seats standing face the stage for a start. It's designed with music in mind whereas the Newcastle one was primarily for sport (ice hockey) and is awful for music. I think it's a great spot to put it - between Sage and Baltic

It'll definitely be an improvement if it's purpose built for music.

Still think due to location and transport links to other cities and catchment area, a lot of arena size tours will chose Leeds over Newcastle/Gateshead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back