New Zealand test squad announcement

Don’t really know. Takes his first class wickets at 21 mind
I've never really see the relevance of County Championship stats in Test Cricket. Plenty of batsmen who succeeded at the highest level had moderate First Class records (and vice versa).
I'm always a bit suspicious of good first class stats for a bowler of Robinson's age - for generations, good county pros were the ones who dropped their pace, shortened their run ups and bowled a nice tight line at about 80mph which gets you wickets in most championship games, especially early season when the ball is moving all over on a green top.

I'm probably talking bollocks - I just like seeing a bowler with a bit of the x factor - express pace like Wood, or swing and seam like Anderson

Had my gut fill of Mallendar, Watkins, McCague, Illot, Muillally, Pattinson, Smith, Overton etc etc

Standard SMB - write the lad off before he's even bowled one ball :lol::lol:

I've never really see the relevance of County Championship stats in Test Cricket. Plenty of batsmen who succeeded at the highest level had moderate First Class records (and vice versa).
I'm always a bit suspicious of good first class stats for a bowler of Robinson's age - for generations, good county pros were the ones who dropped their pace, shortened their run ups and bowled a nice tight line at about 80mph which gets you wickets in most championship games, especially early season when the ball is moving all over on a green top.

I'm probably talking bollocks - I just like seeing a bowler with a bit of the x factor - express pace like Wood, or swing and seam like Anderson

Had my gut fill of Mallendar, Watkins, McCague, Illot, Muillally, Pattinson, Smith, Overton etc etc

Standard SMB - write the lad off before he's even bowled one ball :lol::lol:
Kind of agree. Interesting views of Cook in the Sunday Times yesterday on Overton, reckons he has come on leaps and bounds this year.

Don't know anything about the lad. Is he fast? Swinger? Seamer? Typical county plodder that we picked test after test in the 90s?
Robinson is a tall, strongly built lad who bowls medium quick. Bowls good lines and lengths, similar in style to Angus Fraser.
Made his debut for Sussex against Durham, at the Riverside, came into bat at no.10 and scored a century !!
Do I think he can crack it a Test Level ? Not sure, but deserves a chance to shine.

Robinson is a tall, strongly built lad who bowls medium quick. Bowls good lines and lengths, similar in style to Angus Fraser.
Made his debut for Sussex against Durham, at the Riverside, came into bat at no.10 and scored a century !!
Do I think he can crack it a Test Level ? Not sure, but deserves a chance to shine.
Fair enough. Good synopsis. If he plays, I hope he takes his chance.

Dom Sibley
Rory Burns
Zak Crawley
Joe Root
Dan Lawrence
Ollie Pope
James Bracey (W)
Stuart Broad
Mark Wood
Ollie Robinson
James Anderson

I think Leach will play but if probably play my team, think Overton and stone would replace Wood and Anderson 2nd test

Leach will end up missing out which is harsh. Top 7 picks itself then it will probably be:
Robinson
Wood
Broad
Jimmy

Thought they might rotate Broad and Jimmy but they have a big break before the India series so I imagine they’ll play both of these tests.

What do we reckon the team will be then? Do I count 4 openers in the squad? Seems a bit excessive - assuming they'll put Crawley at 3 and it's 2 from 3 for the openers slot

Dom Sibley
Rory Burns
Zak Crawley
Joe Root
Dan Lawrence
Ollie Pope
James Bracey (W)
Stuart Broad
Mark Wood
Jack Leach
James Anderson

Bit of a long tail. Any of these bowlers bat a bit?

Olly Stone
Haseeb Hameed
Sam Billings
Ollie Robinson
Craig Overton
Must admit that Lawrence and Pope at 5 & 6 do absolutely nothing for me. Hopefully I'm wrong and they both get plenty of runs, but I'm not overly optimistic, which isn't good news when as you say it's a fairly long tail.

Missing Test matches for the IPL was disgraceful in the first instance, missing them for an IPL that isn't happening is just ridiculous.

New Zealand with the first XI would be a good match, with half a team they could well turn us over.
Are their IPL players playing?

On a related note, the Edgbaston test has been given special dispensation to be a Covid pilot event and capacity set at 18k instead of about 5k-6k. I might still get there for the Saturday yet.

I've knocked my tickets for Day 1 on the head.

It's still not decided (I think it's done today) who are the lucky 18,000 and there are other conditions attached.

That coupled with England players missing and the fanny on getting a train (no cheap tickets at this late stage) meant it was too much of a chew.

Hopefully easier come August 6 and Trent Bridge

Last edited:

Back