New Year's Eve in New York

*Legends!

The only bar in the world I can walk into and the barman recognises me and gives me a free pint. I went in in 2019 for only the second time in four years since repatriating, Jack was working, saw me and sure enough "how are you mate, this one's on me".

Intrepid A&S Museum is incredible, and you can walk around and under a BA Concorde floating on the Hudson there as well.

One summer weekend at a loose end on my own when the wife was back in Blighty, I spent my entire Saturday at Intrepid and on the Sunday drove to Washington and spent the day at the main Smithsonian A&S museum in central DC and its bigger annex the Udvar-Hazy Center, near Dulles Airport. I am not kidding, it was one of the best weekends of my life :lol:
It was Nevada Smiths in my day. Is that even open now?

It was Nevada Smiths in my day. Is that even open now?
I think the management changed around about 2011 which ended an era. I think it closed at least once back then. It was about the time I moved over, I went a couple of times but the main supporters groups had started basing themselves at Legends/Football Factory including us.

Probably mainly because @njmackem was coming in from NJ into Penn and couldnt be arsed to schlep down to the village ;) :lol:

Nevadas seemed to close on and off for years and go bankrupt a couple of times. Now appears to be permanently closed.

Last edited:
*Legends!

The only bar in the world I can walk into and the barman recognises me and gives me a free pint. I went in in 2019 for only the second time in four years since repatriating, Jack was working, saw me and sure enough "how are you mate, this one's on me".

Intrepid A&S Museum is incredible, and you can walk around and under a BA Concorde floating on the Hudson there as well.

One summer weekend at a loose end on my own when the wife was back in Blighty, I spent my entire Saturday at Intrepid and on the Sunday drove to Washington and spent the day at the main Smithsonian A&S museum in central DC and its bigger annex the Udvar-Hazy Center, near Dulles Airport. I am not kidding, it was one of the best weekends of my life :lol:
Ah yes - thanks for the correction!!

I think the management changed around about 2011 which ended an era. I think it closed at least once back then. It was about the time I moved over, I went a couple of times but the main supporters groups had started basing themselves at Legends/Football Factory including us.

Probably mainly because @njmackem was coming in from NJ into Penn and couldnt be arsed to schlep down to the village ;) :lol:

Nevadas seemed to close on and off for years and go bankrupt a couple of times. Now appears to be permanently closed.
I used to schlep down to the village on the regular back in the day.

Moved to Legends/Football Factory because Jack who is the manager was our guy at Nevada Smiths and we followed him.

How can you agree that it's underwhelming then ;)

I actually liked the fact there was no razzle dazzle. It's run by the National Parks Service and staffed by people wearing green Ranger hats and everything.

I enjoyed lingering in the museums and having a picnic on the lawns, a photo opp with the Financial District in the background and taking in some of the history of the two islands, but not everyone wants the same experience of NY and that's fine.
It just didnt hold any appeal to me or the Mrs, we were happy to sail by it. Im sure if we do go back then we will pay it a visit. Last time we were there was in 2012 so im sure a lot has changed.
Also agree that Legends is quality. I was in for our game against Man Utd on the day Man City won the league with that Aguero goal, the atmosphere was something else :lol:

Last edited:
It just didnt hold any appeal to me or the Mrs, we were happy to sail by it. Im sure if we do go back then we will pay it a visit. Last time we were there was in 2012 so im sure a lot has changed.
Also agree that Legends is quality. I was in for our game against Man Utd on the day Man City won the league with that Aguero goal, the atmosphere was something else :lol:
@Beau Peep I think we were in Legends for that game right?

I used to schlep down to the village on the regular back in the day.

Moved to Legends/Football Factory because Jack who is the manager was our guy at Nevada Smiths and we followed him.
I do remember that now. Was arnly joshing
Then chances are I owe you an apology for my drunken actions.
Was that the time other Andy left his card behind the bar, and we tipped Jack at 80% at his expense :lol: Happy days mate.

Last edited:
I do remember that now. Was arnly joshing

Was that the time other Andy left his card behind the bar, and we tipped Jack at 80% at his expense :lol: Happy days mate.
I think that was the time you needed to go to the bank after and walked through those to large guys like you were the Rock....

One of my best nights out ever was a random bar crawl through Midtown. Eventually fell out of an Irish bar at 4am, went to a 24 hour diner for corned beef hash then back to the hotel to crash.

The good thing about the Manhattan grid system is that no matter how drunk you get it is always easy to find your way home.

Thanks for all your suggestions .... Think we are going to do an all inclusive boat trip and do a meal with times Square view another night . Please keep them coming, enjoying reading about the bars

Thanks for all your suggestions .... Think we are going to do an all inclusive boat trip and do a meal with times Square view another night . Please keep them coming, enjoying reading about the bars
Good call I reckon, that will be unforgettable

We have booked up and have a hotel on times Square. Only there for 4 days. What would people put at the top of the "must do" list.
Plus any recommendations of how to celebrate New year? Roof top bar? Be on the street? Go somewhere else to see fireworks?

Assuming everything will be open by Xmas but no where is taking booking yet for any parties.

Cheers

Forget Times Square. Book one of the Hudson cruises. Open bar, Parked up to see the fireworks go off over the Statue of Liberty. Zero hassle and nice and warm! Thank me later!

You won’t regret it!

Back