New Year's Eve in New York

Cyrus

Winger
We have booked up and have a hotel on times Square. Only there for 4 days. What would people put at the top of the "must do" list.
Plus any recommendations of how to celebrate New year? Roof top bar? Be on the street? Go somewhere else to see fireworks?

Assuming everything will be open by Xmas but no where is taking booking yet for any parties.

Cheers

I did times square years ago. Got there at mid day and was the last block to be let in. No toilets. Was freezing cold. No sets If you left the block you weren't lowed back in again (though this might have changed now). It was a massive amount of noise, everyone celebrates like mad, then suddenly it's all over and people just wandered off looking for toilets. I'm so glad I did it. It was a real experience. But I'm never doing it again.

If you can find a rooftop bar do it. I did that at least twice... it was great.

Last edited:
I did times square years ago. Got there at mid day and was the last block to be let in. No toilets. Was freezing cold. No sets If you left the block you weren't lowed back in again (though this might have changed now). It was a massive amount of noise, everyone celebrates like mad, then suddenly it's all over and people just wandered off looking for toilets. I'm so glad I did it. It was a real experience. But I'm never doing it again.

Any recommendations of which bars to try and book when we can? Just worried in case some that claim to have a view don't really

We were there a few of years back, was when they had the mega cold snap and it was -18.....am surprised neebody froze to death at the ball drop!

Not my idea of fun being stuck in a pen for hours. We were stopping in Brooklyn, went for a nice meal and drinks, back to the hotel bar and saw the NY in there. Was canny.

The coverage on the telly, and a good bar with a decent atmosphere and flowing drinks and a toilet within weeing distance would be my choice.

Is Times Square still dry, I’m certain it was the few years I lived there in the early noughties, unless I’ve got that wrong. I never did it as I couldn’t be chewed standing for 12 hours in -12c sober as a judge.

We have booked up and have a hotel on times Square. Only there for 4 days. What would people put at the top of the "must do" list.
Plus any recommendations of how to celebrate New year? Roof top bar? Be on the street? Go somewhere else to see fireworks?

Assuming everything will be open by Xmas but no where is taking booking yet for any parties.

Cheers
go to Rudys Bar - ask for a hot dog with your beer and say Big Jeff sent you - you will get it free of charge I promise

We arrived at 4pm having been to a Broadway show, got put in a pen 11 blocks from the ball, froze our tits off in sub zero temperatures, couldn't piss or drink, were rammed in with some more pleasant and some less pleasant other people, saw the British new year in at 7pm, decided we'd got enough of the experience and buggered off back home to Hoboken to get pissed! Didn't regret that decision at all!

I'm not saying I wouldn't recommend doing it if you're in New York for new year, but be aware what you're getting yourself into! Tickets for rooftop bars will be pricey, elusive and might not even get you much of a view of anything. If it was me doing it again maybe I'd try to be on the river at midnight, or just walk the city, dive into some bars, you'll get more atmosphere IMHO

Last edited:

Cheers
The 'Top of the Rock' (Rockefeller Centre) is great for panoramic views over Manhattan. But I went in September, and the weather was good. Might be a different prospect at the end of December :)

NYC is fantastic but I don't see the attraction of being in Times Square on NYE. There are many better areas of the city to spend time. It would be like going to London and stopping in Leicester Square.

If there is an SAFC game on while you're there go to Champions and look for the MLF's. Include a meal in an old-fashioned diner like the one on Leonard street, Wander Central Park, Natural History Museum is impressive, take a ferry past the other SOL to Staten Island (Go to a bar for a drink and then get a ferry back!!). Ride the subway of course, and take a look at Grand Central Station. I enjoyed the aircraft carrier museum USS Intrepid, just beyond Broadway, used as a air and space museum with a space shuttle and nuclear sub. If it's not heaving the Empire State rooftop for the pictures looking 'down' on the skyscrapers. Loads to do, but NY is damned cold in winter!!

I was on a boat party on the Hudson one NYE. All drinks included in price, singing, dancing, chatting to all nationalities. Stopped near Statue of Liberty for midnight fireworks, then off again watching the skyline getting pissed. 100% recommend this over times sq.
Done this before but not NYE imagine it was a few $

Back