New Year's Eve in New York

Did it years ago. Was absolutely baltic so swerved times Square, ended up in a run of the mill dive bar and can't even remember midnight.

Guess that's what happens with zero planning and first time in NYC. Bit of prep and you will have a great time im sure.

New York is now open to tourists . Just waiting for the NYE ferry packages to go on sale. Going to do a helicopter flight but will book it when there

We went 2017/18 when it was minus 18/21 and didnt help that our luggage was lost for 2 days. We stayed Room Mate Grace Hotel 125 W 45th St, New York which is one of the blocks that get closed off and no one was allowed down that street unless you had a letter from hotels. 2 pubs either side of hotel that were not to busy as street closed, we watched NY eve celebrations on the tvs and when it came to ball drop time ran outside to end of the street to watch Ball drop and hear Neil Diamond perform but was SOOO cold did not stop long and went back inside for a warm and some more nice cold beers, no hassel at all and right in the thick of it (could also get a piss anytime we wanted)

We went 2017/18 when it was minus 18/21 and didnt help that our luggage was lost for 2 days. We stayed Room Mate Grace Hotel 125 W 45th St, New York which is one of the blocks that get closed off and no one was allowed down that street unless you had a letter from hotels. 2 pubs either side of hotel that were not to busy as street closed, we watched NY eve celebrations on the tvs and when it came to ball drop time ran outside to end of the street to watch Ball drop and hear Neil Diamond perform but was SOOO cold did not stop long and went back inside for a warm and some more nice cold beers, no hassel at all and right in the thick of it (could also get a piss anytime we wanted)
Ball Drop is over-rated. In the 20 years I lived in New Jersey only bothered to do it the once.... that was more than enough.

Ball Drop is over-rated. In the 20 years I lived in New Jersey only bothered to do it the once.... that was more than enough.
Your correct but being right there and not fully knowing exactly what was going to happen thought we should really make an effort and only wasted 5 mins of our time in the full scale of things.

Did Times Square in 2010, we just went into one of the small restaurants on Times Square a few days before, Tads steaks it was called (not there anymore) and they gave us a pass for about $20 to get us past the police. We went and ate somewhere else and then just walked up at about 11:00. Had to stand in the bar area at the front which wasn't great but they let us out into times square at 11:55 to see the ball drop.
Definitely an experience but I wouldn't fancy being penned in for hours in the freezing cold for it.

If you want to be in Times Square for midnight, you need to be camped there from about 4pm. Its a long time to wait if you need a pee, we know people who had to do that. We ended up 3/4 blocks up Broadway before midnight for the celebrations and ringing in the new year....It seemed like hundreds of Thousands of people crowding the streets. Not to be missed

Did Times Square in 2010, we just went into one of the small restaurants on Times Square a few days before, Tads steaks it was called (not there anymore) and they gave us a pass for about $20 to get us past the police. We went and ate somewhere else and then just walked up at about 11:00. Had to stand in the bar area at the front which wasn't great but they let us out into times square at 11:55 to see the ball drop.
Definitely an experience but I wouldn't fancy being penned in for hours in the freezing cold for it.
Tad's was a proper disgusting hole!

Aye didn't look great but didn't have to eat there and was great location when they let us out.
I had the misfortune, thinnest steak ever which looked like it had been boiled. Was scruffy as fuck too.

$20 was great value as long as you didn't the to eat there!!

That's about what it takes for me to go out and interact with the American public these days. When only two more makes shoe leather taste like filet mignon, it's a small investment.

I'm not even sure the steaks they served were even beef. There was a canny chain BBQ place which was cheap but not minging. It was opposite the cinema, unsure if it still exists.

I'm not even sure the steaks they served were even beef. There was a canny chain BBQ place which was cheap but not minging. It was opposite the cinema, unsure if it still exists.
It was a bit of a relic of the 1950s iirc. But as far back as the 1880s The USA used to be full of inexpensive steak houses selling rubbery shite steaks.

Then fast food restaurants got invented which killed them off.

Last edited:

Back