New signing for durham

But that's the point-we ARE short of senior players and that should be the priority.Glover isn't a senior player-he was anything but at Northants. What does he offer that Maclindon cannot?. Both pacey but unproven.

how can you say we're short of players while asking what he offers that maclindon doesn't?

Yes forgot him.

What do we all think? We will no doubt also be seeing more of Lees and Carse (when he’s fit). Good enough to make a challenge (on any front)?

I recall this time last year being quietly confident. Obviously didn’t factor in flat pitches and cows producing the wrong leather for the Dukes balls, like 😁

What do we all think? We will no doubt also be seeing more of Lees and Carse (when he’s fit). Good enough to make a challenge (on any front)?

I recall this time last year being quietly confident. Obviously didn’t factor in flat pitches and cows producing the wrong leather for the Dukes balls, like 😁
If we exclude Stokes and Wood and accept the little cricket they play will be a bonus. I think we have probably 6 players who need to perform at a level they have in the past to make us a realistic promotion chance. Lees Bedingham Borthwick (Badger really has to step up this season) with the bat. Then Potts Carse and Raine with the ball. Plus if one or two of the likes of Robinson Jones Murphy or the youngsters can perform that would massively help.
Probably depends on international call ups and injuries. Plenty of players on paper but a lot unproven at this level.
Also have to be an improvement in t20 we are so poor at this but its becoming more and more important to a counties season.

1pm
Logon or register to see this image
Logon or register to see this image
x Queensland Cricket
#ForTheNorth

Hmmmm.
Welcome to Durham, Matt Kuhnemann
The left-arm spinner joins Durham for 2023 County Championship season.

irrespective of where that leaves Murphy, it is a good signing.

Murphy will be joining once recovered from injury, kuhnemann is short term replacement.

Knowing our luck he'll be mint then bigger off and Murphy will be shite 😂😂

My thoughts too. Thought he was developing into a decent cricketer as well . I’m sure this lad will be a good signing although not many counties sign an overseas spinner to play in April and May
He just didn't take enough wickets, agreed see how he does but money might have been better spent elsewhere

My thoughts too. Thought he was developing into a decent cricketer as well . I’m sure this lad will be a good signing although not many counties sign an overseas spinner to play in April and May

Really poor the amount of spots that could potentially be filled by overseas or second rate signings rather than the old philosophy of local kids. Hope I’m wrong though.

Really poor the amount of spots that could potentially be filled by overseas or second rate signings rather than the old philosophy of local kids. Hope I’m wrong though.

This is quite a bizarre reaction to signing a young promising lad with test wickets for australia. Side looks strong, versatile with a spine weve developed and youngsters we can drop into an experienced side instead if a clusterfuck - which is how we produced good players originally in the days of benky, Thorpe, otis, breesey etc

Lees, Jones, Borthwick, Bedingham, Robinson, Bushnell, Clark/MacKintosh/Trevaskis/Coughlin, Raine, Carse,Potts, Spinner

Mckinney, Crawshaw, McAlindon, Gibson, Killeen all knocking on the door too

This is quite a bizarre reaction to signing a young promising lad with test wickets for australia. Side looks strong, versatile with a spine weve developed and youngsters we can drop into an experienced side instead if a clusterfuck - which is how we produced good players originally in the days of benky, Thorpe, otis, breesey etc

Absolutely this. We have a fantastic array of young local talent either in the side or on the fringes. We had a number of pretty big holes to fill over the winter but we seem to have done a very admirable job of covering a number of bases in all formats and have seemingly been able to do it without breaking the bank and whilst still focussing largely on homegrown talent.

That’s not for one second suggesting the holes have been filled properly or that those who’ve come in will be better that those we lost BUT I’m very excited to see what this new era brings.
That's trevaskis not playing then

Why not? He’s shown himself a more than capable middle order batsman and fielder, I’m sure he’s willing to fight for his place in all formats.

Last edited:
Absolutely this. We have a fantastic array of young local talent either in the side or on the fringes. We had a number of pretty big holes to fill over the winter but we seem to have done a very admirable job of covering a number of bases in all formats and have seemingly been able to do it without breaking the bank and whilst still focussing largely on homegrown talent.

That’s not for one second suggesting the holes have been filled properly or that those who’ve come in will be better that those we lost BUT I’m very excited to see what this new era brings.

Why not? He’s shown himself a more than capable middle order batsman and fielder, I’m sure he’s willing to fight for his place in all formats.
Handy but not necessarily good enough to get in ahead of others when he doesn't take enough wickets with the ball

Lees, Jones, Borthwick, Bedingham, Robinson, Bushnell, Clark/MacKintosh/Trevaskis/Coughlin, Raine, Carse,Potts, Spinner

Mckinney, Crawshaw, McAlindon, Gibson, Killeen all knocking on the door too

You might be right in isolation on Kuhnemann mate. But it’s been an accumulation of overseas for ages now. If we’re competing and we have 2/3 young local lads in the side (not just knocking on the door as you put it) then North will have been proven right, fair play.

You might be right in isolation on Kuhnemann mate. But it’s been an accumulation of overseas for ages now. If we’re competing and we have 2/3 young local lads in the side (not just knocking on the door as you put it) then North will have been proven right, fair play.

Law of averages, North is due to get something right.

I dunno there's that many overseas really, bedingham and a spinner? There's more we've picked up from other counties but that's more to fill the gaps still left from the exodus of local lads.

There'll always be at least 2/3/4 local lads in the side assuming we've counting the likes of Borthwick and Raine and all the players making up the fringes are academy lads although i don't know the actual locality/heritage of players like macalindon, gibson, Crawshaw, trev etc
Law of averages, North is due to get something right.
You seem determined to be negative about this season before it's even begun. Scarring too deep?

Back