New Music Releases Thread

Aside from the Laura Jane Grace EP, there are new releases this week from Alessia Cara, Amon Tobin, Andy Shauf, Angels & Airwaves, Boys Noize, Caleb Landry Jones, Dave Okumu, Esperanza Spalding, Jesse Malin, Mas Aya, Nao, Poppy, Public Service Broadcasting, Quicksand, Sufjan Stevens & Angelo de Augustine, The Body and BIG|BRAVE, The Shivas, I'll Be Your Mirror (Velvet Underground tribute album), William Shatner, Spencer Cullum, Nolan Potter, Hayden Pedigo, The Rugged Nuggets, Holy Hive, Mac McCaughan, Native Soul, Brigid Mae Power, Kondi Band, Blancmange, Suuns and Alabama 3.
I’ve just realised that The Lathums aren’t on your list and it’s pretty good.

Okay, my much delayed weekly round up:

Jesse Malin: a good, solid collection of alt-rockish, Americanaish songs.
Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine: a very pretty collection of gentle songs. It's basically what Sufjan does best and, well, what Angelo does. Exceptionally good!
Nolan Potter: solo rather than with his Nightmare Band. This is more of the psych rock he brings us with them. FOr fans of Gizzards, Wizards etc.
Holy Hive: folkish psych pop. Decent, if not spectacular.
Brigid Mae Power: a covers collection, although I only know Dylan's "One More Cup Of Coffee". Her usual spectral, haunting thing, although maybe a little more lo-fi than usual.

Sufjan Stevens & Angelo De Augustine: a very pretty collection of gentle songs. It's basically what Sufjan does best and, well, what Angelo does. Exceptionally good!
Nolan Potter: solo rather than with his Nightmare Band. This is more of the psych rock he brings us with them. FOr fans of Gizzards, Wizards etc.
Brigid Mae Power: a covers collection, although I only know Dylan's "One More Cup Of Coffee". Her usual spectral, haunting thing, although maybe a little more lo-fi than usual.

Hit Reply at the wrong time:

Public Service Broadcasting: a mix of Krautrock, techno and out and out pop, some neo-classical stuff thrown in. All excellent. "Blue Heaven" is magnificent.
Suuns: at times beautiful, at times jarring, They seem to have gone down their own weird rabbit hole, which is good.
Andy Shauf: a nice collection of quite straightforward, lo-fi summery songs.
Marillion: not strictly new. I've given a listen to the 2021 mix of "Fugazi". It's great in parts and some of the live stuff is terrific.
I'll Be Your Mirror: qulaity, starrty names, good songs, some interesting covers. My favourite is probably Kurt Vile's "RUn Run Run", which he's made sound a bit Kings of the WIld Frontier era Adam and the Antsy.
Kondi Band: Sierra Leone's top musical export. Thumb pianos and danceable beats basically. Good.
Ada Lea: pretty good indie singer-songwriter stuff from Canada. Very listenable!
Native Soul: South African amapiano (adeep house, jazz and lounge fusion). This is languid and spacey. Very good train journey soundtrack music.
Hayden Pedigo: gentle guitar pieces. Very good if you like instrumental folky, psych guitar stuff.
Laura Jane Grace: 7 songs mixing punk and alt-pop. ALl to brief at 14 mins but very good.
Spencer Cullum: this is great. Reminds me of late 60s/early 70s English pastoral psychedelia and, a bit, of Ryley Walker's earlier albums.
William Shatner: good fun, after the disappointment of his blues album. It's original songs not covers but they're all suitably Bill.
Brittany Howard: remixes of her album, some are great, some decent.
Spearmint: another personal favourite who keep soldiering on to flickering acknowledgment. Literate indiepop as usual. The central "Holland Park" is 10 plus minutes of genius.

Album of the week: there's a lot good here. I'll say Public Service Broadcasting, Spencer Cullum and Spearmint tied with Sufjan/Angelo just behind. Shatner is great also and LAura Jane Grace would be up there if it were a full album she'd made.

Last edited:
This Sufjan record could do with 2/3 songs trimmed from it. It's good though.

Andy Shauf - meh. Dull.

I quite like the Low record apart from the first track which drives me mad.

I'm about a year late to it, but I'm enjoying the Katy J Pearson record at the minute.

Hit Reply at the wrong time:

Public Service Broadcasting: a mix of Krautrock, techno and out and out pop, some neo-classical stuff thrown in. All excellent. "Blue Heaven" is magnificent.
Suuns: at times beautiful, at times jarring, They seem to have gone down their own weird rabbit hole, which is good.
Andy Shauf: a nice collection of quite straightforward, lo-fi summery songs.
Marillion: not strictly new. I've given a listen to the 2021 mix of "Fugazi". It's great in parts and some of the live stuff is terrific.
I'll Be Your Mirror: qulaity, starrty names, good songs, some interesting covers. My favourite is probably Kurt Vile's "RUn Run Run", which he's made sound a bit Kings of the WIld Frontier era Adam and the Antsy.
Kondi Band: Sierra Leone's top musical export. Thumb pianos and danceable beats basically. Good.
Ada Lea: pretty good indie singer-songwriter stuff from Canada. Very listenable!
Native Soul: South African amapiano (adeep house, jazz and lounge fusion). This is languid and spacey. Very good train journey soundtrack music.
Hayden Pedigo: gentle guitar pieces. Very good if you like instrumental folky, psych guitar stuff.
Laura Jane Grace: 7 songs mixing punk and alt-pop. ALl to brief at 14 mins but very good.
Spencer Cullum: this is great. Reminds me of late 60s/early 70s English pastoral psychedelia and, a bit, of Ryley Walker's earlier albums.
William Shatner: good fun, after the disappointment of his blues album. It's original songs not covers but they're all suitably Bill.
Brittany Howard: remixes of her album, some are great, some decent.
Spearmint: another personal favourite who keep soldiering on to flickering acknowledgment. Literate indiepop as usual. The central "Holland Park" is 10 plus minutes of genius.

Album of the week: there's a lot good here. I'll say Public Service Broadcasting, Spencer Cullum and Spearmint tied with Sufjan/Angelo just behind. Shatner is great also and LAura Jane Grace would be up there if it were a full album she'd made.
Just listened to Spearmint. Is Holland Park not just a rip off of Over the Border by Saint Etienne?

There are new releases this week from Black Dice, Brandi Carlile, Doobie Brothers, Full of Hell, Howdy, Illuminati Hotties, Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett, Ministry, Muzi, Pond, Strands of Oak, The Specials, Tirzah, Wiki, Yes, Neil Young (a live acoustic set from 1970), the compilation Eins und Zwei und Drei und Vier (Deutsche Experimentelle Pop-Musik 1980-86), Elsa Hewitt, Audiobooks and Cindy.
Just listened to Spearmint. Is Holland Park not just a rip off of Over the Border by Saint Etienne?

Spearmint have been doing this kind of thing since the mid to late 90s. Over the Border was released in 2012.
Yes. There has been plenty of hype surrunding the release which was why I was surpirised that it wasn't on @Arkle's list.

If they're not on Metacritic and don't interest me, they won't reach the list, basically.

Last edited:
There are new releases this week from Black Dice, Brandi Carlile, Doobie Brothers, Full of Hell, Howdy, Illuminati Hotties, Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett, Ministry, Muzi, Pond, Strands of Oak, The Specials, Tirzah, Wiki, Yes, Neil Young (a live acoustic set from 1970), the compilation Eins und Zwei und Drei und Vier (Deutsche Experimentelle Pop-Musik 1980-86), Elsa Hewitt, Audiobooks and Cindy.

Spearmint have been doing this kind of thing since the mid to late 90s. Over the Border was released in 2012.
Fair enough. But listen to those 2 songs together!

Back