New Music Releases Thread

Enjoyed Thundercat but didn't love it. Yves Tumor on the other hand, I think is absolutely superb.

So is Boat to Bolivia by Martin Stephenson & the Daintees.
And he's doing a couple of live FB gigs, one on Saturday night which I'll be listening to.
Mogwai this Friday and Twilight Sad the 17th
Sad. No real updates on John Prine, today, but just saw one of the founders of Fountains of Wayne had passed away (52)
And there’s the update on John Prine - very sad indeed

Last edited:
Until tonight, I'd not heard an Orb album since 1992's U.F.Orb (their 2nd album). The new one 'Abolition Of The Royal Familia' (their 16th!) is my favourite release of 2020 by some distance.

Until tonight, I'd not heard an Orb album since 1992's U.F.Orb (their 2nd album). The new one 'Abolition Of The Royal Familia' (their 16th!) is my favourite release of 2020 by some distance.

Yeah I really like it also. Like how it starts with house, then goes ambient and then dub reggae. Definitely the orb doing what they do best.

New albums this week from Joe Satriani, Laura Marling, Sparta, The Dream Syndicate, The Sleep Eazys, The Strokes, Hamilton Leithauser, Flat Worms, Wu Fei & Abilgail Washburn, Roedelius, Jackie Lynn and Pokey LaFarge. Low on numbers but high on quality!

Didn’t realise that Sparta were still going but looks like they actually reformed a few years ago.

New albums this week from Joe Satriani, Laura Marling, Sparta, The Dream Syndicate, The Sleep Eazys, The Strokes, Hamilton Leithauser, Flat Worms, Wu Fei & Abilgail Washburn, Roedelius, Jackie Lynn and Pokey LaFarge. Low on numbers but high on quality!
Hamilton leithauser for me, interested to see if the reason I liked his last album so much was because of rostams involvement or not.

The Strokes is alright on first listen. Maybe slightly disappointing as I was expecting a Rick Rubin produced Strokes album to be a bit punchier and “Is This It?” Sounding.

Pokey Labumwank is good too. Modern themes to old fashioned music, but lacks the swagger that the likes of Justin Townes Earl’s “Kids in the Street” has.

The Strokes is alright on first listen. Maybe slightly disappointing as I was expecting a Rick Rubin produced Strokes album to be a bit punchier and “Is This It?” Sounding.

Pokey Labumwank is good too. Modern themes to old fashioned music, but lacks the swagger that the likes of Justin Townes Earl’s “Kids in the Street” has.

Yeah I'm listening to the Strokes now and I think it's their best for years.

Went back through some of Laura Marling's stuff over the last week before her release today, I'd completely forgot about the LUMP record somehow from 2018. That was a gem. Not listened to the new one yet but it's got 10/10 in five different reviews so far.

She's still probably the best act I've seen live.

Back