New Music Releases Thread

also Warm Digits. Loved their early motorik electronic stuff although I fear that their evolving a bit poppy for me.
Saw em at The Lexington a while back. The kid from Field Music and her from St Etienne got up and sang. Twas the only time the night came alive for me. We concluded instrumental bands maybe aren’t all that and it’s nice to have a focal point. Vocal point even? They’re ok in bits when listening at home mind.
Wadnt see again. Wotserface excepted obviously.

Saw em at The Lexington a while back. The kid from Field Music and her from St Etienne got up and sang. Twas the only time the night came alive for me. We concluded instrumental bands maybe aren’t all that and it’s nice to have a focal point. Vocal point even? They’re ok in bits when listening at home mind.
Wadnt see again. Wotserface excepted obviously.

I saw same tour at cluny. We got field music but not Sarah cracknell unfortunately.
think new album has even more vocals on it.

Albums this week from Anna Burch, Black Atlass, Born Ruffians, Empress Of, James Elkington, Peach Pit, Purity Ring, Tetema, The Monkees, Thundercat, TOPS, Yves Tunor, M Ward, Pigs*7, Parsonfield and The Lovely Eggs. A quieter week but still some good 'uns.

Savage Mansion too.
@James I have finally discovered (Sandy) Alex G properly, not sure why I didn’t get him before

I have truly played the shit out of the latest record to the point where I'm not even sure if I can listen to it again.

Last edited:
That's very good.

I missed the Tony Allen & Hugh Masakela album from my list. It's excellent! Highly recommended for anyone enjoying the Shabaka & the Ancestors album.

Only just properly got on board with this one. Heard bits of it on 6 previously. Fabulous album.

Enjoying it a lot on 2nd listen - she’s perhaps more on the country-led poppier end of the alt-country spectrum, so more of an Amanda Shires type than Sarah Shook or Lydia Loveless.
Actually can’t stop listening to Lilly Hiatt now, prefer it to Waxahatchee although the 2 of them are up there with Big Moon for early album of the year contenders (and they say women are underrepresented in guitar based music).

In other news, on 17th April King Gizzard are releasing a documentary film for a 24hr streaming window, with the soundtrack album coming a week later. They’ve not made it clear whether the soundtrack is a collection of live performances, a full new album or a combination of the 2 though.

I feared I may not like the new Warm Digits record but happy to say it’s great.
all the instrumental tracks are superb and the Paul Smith track is the pick of the vocal songs.

Yves Tumor’s record is good on first listen. I think it’s a bit messy but some real moments of clarity that remind me of TV on the radio’s better parts. Need to have another listen to really make judgements though

Yves Tumor’s record is good on first listen. I think it’s a bit messy but some real moments of clarity that remind me of TV on the radio’s better parts. Need to have another listen to really make judgements though
I listened to that yesterday and it wasn’t for me. I’ve seen a couple of TVOTR comparisons and I love them but not into this.

BTW, Rough Trade have a pretty good vinyl sale on. Loads going for £12.99.

‘Gospel for a New Century‘ is my tune of the year so far. That and Working Men’s Club’s new one

Brian Fallon record from last week was surprisingly good, much better than I expected.

Been going back through some of the stuff I'd missed over the last couple of months that's been mentioned in here cos I've got nowt else to do it seems and that Sink Ya Teeth album's a gem.

So, my summing up of the new stuff I've listened to this week:

Pigs*7 - excellent, proper stoner rock album.
Anna Burch - not quite as enthralling as Quit The Curse but still very listenable.
James Elkington - ticks all the boxes for me. Folkish but done from a post-rock perspective.
The Lovely Eggs - bloody marvellous!
Parsonsfield - one of those albums that's going to quietly grow on me. Starts out a bit like a poppier Fleet Foxes then goes a bit more straight indie-pop with electronic flecks. Remind me a little of a less rock Death Cab For Cutie or Passion Pit.
Thundercat - on early listening, I prefer this to Drunk. Seems more coherent as an album.
M. Ward - it's very good but I'm not sure I'd be able to distinguish it from other M. Ward albums in a year or so.
Savage Mansion - posted about earlier. Exceptionally good.
Everything Is Recorded - interesting. More obviously hiphop based than the first album. Well worth a listen!
Wilma Archer - usually records as Slime, comes from Newcastle, probably best known as a producer. A mix of jazz and electronica. Works very well!
Yves Tumor - a very good album. Nominally electronica but also rock, great vocals.

A toss up between James Elkington. The Lovely Eggs and Savage Mansion for my album of the week but a few others run them close.

Giving new Thundercat its first spin this afternoon while the weather’s good.

Got that Richard Russell (Xl founder) book on order. Really looking forward to getting stuck in - what a run he’s had.

Giving new Thundercat its first spin this afternoon while the weather’s good.

Got that Richard Russell (Xl founder) book on order. Really looking forward to getting stuck in - what a run he’s had.
I'm waiting for the Richard Russell book too. Had it on order at Amazon but they said they couldn't give a date for delivery so I cancelled it. Re-ordered it with Rough Trade about 2 weeks ago (cost an extra £10), it came out on Thursday and it still hasn't been dispatched.

Really recommend Broken Greek by Pete Paphides too as I have already mentioned on here. Good read.

Back