New Music Releases Thread

Lots of people are delaying albums. I assumed the best time to release them would be now since everyone is stuck af home with nowt to do 🤷🏻‍♂️

Bright Eyes released their first new song in 9 years yesterday.

Physical sales will have nosedived with people being afraid to go out and shop previously (now shops are shut), can’t sell any records at gigs because there are none, promotional activity (like radio sessions, videos, interviews) are all shelved, distributors can’t get stock delivered to retailers who are still selling online as it’s a non essential item... there’s lots of other factors sadly. Labels won’t take the risk if they don’t have to right now.

I genuinely think that Porridge Radio album could have been a top 40, rather than 111, had it been normal service.

Aside from Sufjan & Lowell, we have something of a bumper week for new releases (assuming no postponements). Albums from 5 Seconds of Summer, Basia Bulat, Brian Fallon, Clem Snide, Coriky, Daniel Avery and Alessandro Cortini, Dua Lipa, Half Waif, In This Moment, Lily Hiatt, Little Dragon, Margaret Glaspy, Nap Eyes, Nicolas Jaar, PartyNextDoor, Pearl Jam, San Fermin, Sorry, The Orb, Vanessa Carlton, Daniel Romano and the Outfit (a live album), Jessie Reyez, Waxahatchee, Tamikrest, Songdog, The Necks, Hailu Mergia, Dana Gavanski, Bela Fleck & Toumani Diabate, FACS, Me And That Man, Matthew's Southern Comfort, Euros Childs and Babani Kone.

Physical sales will have nosedived with people being afraid to go out and shop previously (now shops are shut), can’t sell any records at gigs because there are none, promotional activity (like radio sessions, videos, interviews) are all shelved, distributors can’t get stock delivered to retailers who are still selling online as it’s a non essential item... there’s lots of other factors sadly. Labels won’t take the risk if they don’t have to right now.

I genuinely think that Porridge Radio album could have been a top 40, rather than 111, had it been normal service.
On the flip side though if none of the artists are able to get out and do promotion, if they're all stuck indoors hopefully they'll all be furiously writing away making more music. There should be some cracking albums out next year

That’s me told 😂
Aside from Sufjan & Lowell, we have something of a bumper week for new releases (assuming no postponements). Albums from 5 Seconds of Summer, Basia Bulat, Brian Fallon, Clem Snide, Coriky, Daniel Avery and Alessandro Cortini, Dua Lipa, Half Waif, In This Moment, Lily Hiatt, Little Dragon, Margaret Glaspy, Nap Eyes, Nicolas Jaar, PartyNextDoor, Pearl Jam, San Fermin, Sorry, The Orb, Vanessa Carlton, Daniel Romano and the Outfit (a live album), Jessie Reyez, Waxahatchee, Tamikrest, Songdog, The Necks, Hailu Mergia, Dana Gavanski, Bela Fleck & Toumani Diabate, FACS, Me And That Man, Matthew's Southern Comfort, Euros Childs and Babani Kone.
The Chats have an album out tomorrow too. Brian Fallon got a good review in one of the monthlies.

That’s me told 😂

The Chats have an album out tomorrow too. Brian Fallon got a good review in one of the monthlies.

Sorry! Wasn't meant to come across arsey :lol:

Just my head is absolutely battered with it all right now. The whole industry is about to undergo a sea change and we're caught right in the centre of it.

I should have added - majors will come out of it on the other side ok and artists like Childish and Dua Lipa - those "too big to fail" with huge fanbases and backing already - will gobble up streams and top 5's still whatever happens in the next few weeks (And months perhaps). It'll be a fine time for big artists, not so much those that heavily rely on physical sales and gig tickets to survive.

On that note, buy the Sorry album out on Domino tomorrow ;)
On the flip side though if none of the artists are able to get out and do promotion, if they're all stuck indoors hopefully they'll all be furiously writing away making more music. There should be some cracking albums out next year

That's the hope, mate. I think there'll be a surge in rougher, more demo-y and raw type EPs / mini-albums / mixtapes coming over the next 6 months also. Then there'll be new ways of selling product and promoting it digitally to the fore. Could be an interesting time, really. Feels quite worrying at the moment though because it's all so fresh, but it'll straighten out. Won't it???

Last edited by a moderator:

Just my head is absolutely battered with it all right now. The whole industry is about to undergo a sea change and we're caught right in the centre of it.

I should have added - majors will come out of it on the other side ok and artists like Childish and Dua Lipa - those "too big to fail" with huge fanbases and backing already - will gobble up streams and top 5's still whatever happens in the next few weeks (And months perhaps). It'll be a fine time for big artists, not so much those that heavily rely on physical sales and gig tickets to survive.

That's the hope, mate. I think there'll be a surge in rougher, more demo-y and raw type EPs / mini-albums / mixtapes coming over the next 6 months also. Then there'll be new ways of selling product and promoting it digitally to the fore. Could be an interesting time, really. Feels quite worrying at the moment though because it's all so fresh, but it'll straighten out. Won't it???
Of course it will. The next few months are going to be rough but once we get through it there's going to be so much going on

It didn’t come across as arsey mate, I was just joking.

I will check out Sorry. I saw they were featured on the NME this week.

Really looking forward to tomorrow, the Mrs is off work so get a day off home schooling to get the feet up with the Orb and Nicolaas Jaar.
first on the though will be 2nd Album from C.A.R. Her debut was brilliant and released songs from this likewise. Really good electronic solo female stuff

Lily Hiatt, Margaret Glaspy, Nap Eyes, Pearl Jam, San Fermin, Sorry, Waxahatchee, Tamikrest, FACS and Euros Childs I reckon.

Any others?

Super excited for Me & That Man tomorrow, even though Nergel has released far too many singles/pre-releases so I feel like I know half the album anyway.

Lily Hiatt, Margaret Glaspy, Nap Eyes, Pearl Jam, San Fermin, Sorry, Waxahatchee, Tamikrest, FACS and Euros Childs I reckon.

Any others?

There's loads TBH. Most of the African stuff for me. Also, Songdog as the track from this was the standout on the latest Uncut CD.
Nine Inch Nails have released two brand new albums today if anyone likes them.
What’s everyones thoughts on this new Childish Gambino album then?

Not really a fan but they're free so will give them a once over.

Back