New Music Releases Thread

Is it his Metal Machine Music? Which I actually bought from the Durham Book Centre unawRe of its history. Unlistenable.
It's definitely listenable, but I can't compare it with Lou Reed's MMM. If you're familiar with the SYR series it's like a continuation of those records. However, I doubt it'll make my top 10 of 2019. On first listen the shortest (half an hour) track was probably the most enjoyable. I expect played live it'll make for an interesting night.

A decent week for new releases. Albums from 808 State, Allah Lahs, Babymetal, Big Thief, Blood Orange (a classical album), Blue Hawaii, Common Holly, Cursive, Devon Welsh, Elbow, Grade 2, Kim Gordon, Lacuna Coil, Lightning Bolt, Lil Kim, Lindstrom, Mark Kozelek with Petra Haden, Rome Fortune, Starcrawler, Stephen Mallinder, Comet Gain, RIchard Dawson and Bodega.

At least 10 there for me...

A decent week for new releases. Albums from 808 State, Allah Lahs, Babymetal, Big Thief, Blood Orange (a classical album), Blue Hawaii, Common Holly, Cursive, Devon Welsh, Elbow, Grade 2, Kim Gordon, Lacuna Coil, Lightning Bolt, Lil Kim, Lindstrom, Mark Kozelek with Petra Haden, Rome Fortune, Starcrawler, Stephen Mallinder, Comet Gain, RIchard Dawson and Bodega.

At least 10 there for me...
i've been waiting all year for one of those...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I am the only person I know who enjoyed Lulu and I'm not a fan of Metallica.
Awwwwh man I was still on apprentice wages and even a second hand double album was a big outlay back then. Fuckin fuming I was. I’d bought Cales Fear album a few weeks previous which I still love. In fact I think it’s the best velvets solo album outside of Reeds New York effort.

Awwwwh man I was still on apprentice wages and even a second hand double album was a big outlay back then. Fuckin fuming I was. I’d bought Cales Fear album a few weeks previous which I still love. In fact I think it’s the best velvets solo album outside of Reeds New York effort.

Played that to death when it came out.

Do you know Kayleigh Goldsworthy? Saw her last night in a local bar supporting Frank Turner. Struck me that she had a bit of the Laura Stevenson about her - girl with guitar kind of thing. Liked her a lot.
Not heard of her, will check her out. Thanks!
I’m assuming she must have been with a label that don’t appear on streaming services because there’s an album from 2013 and an EP from last year and nothing in between.

Last edited:
With no football, limited other sport and a lot of rain over the weekend, I've powered through a load of new releases. The Common Holly album seems to be out physically but not digitally so haven't given that a listen. For stuff I have listened to:

Richard Dawson - exceptionally good. Probably a bit less folkie than his previous albums, lots of story songs, some amusing, some heartbreaking. He's a proper talent, not sure whether to describe him as the new Robert Wyatt or KenLoach/Mike Leigh in musical form.
La Feline - French intello-popsters return. Think, kind of, St Etienne if they actually sang in French. Well worth seeking out.
Blackwater Holylight - all female (I think) psych/stoner rock band from the USA. Think this is their second album. It's very good! They have a hypnotic quality.
Bodega - a mini-album/EP really. 7 tracks, 16 minutes. Continues on from last year's album. Impressive.
Allah-Lahs - they continue their mission to redo the 60s. Probably their best album yet, top quality songs.
Starcrawler - much better than their debut album. Some properly good singalong rock here.
Mark Kozelek and Petra Hayden - kind of business as usual for Kozelek, although there's less guitar here than previously (with Petra Hayden being a violinist/arranger). Some lovely stuff, some very long songs (7 tracks, 72 minutes). He still loves boxing, he still doesn't like The War On Drugs (but he does like Kurt Vile). Contains a song called "Parakeet Prison", which most other albums don't.
Kim Gordon - her first proper solo record. It's really good. She's a bit more hipster friendly than Thurston. There's stuff here which will make dancefoloors.
Elbow - warm and comforting and all that. Actually, probably more musically upbeat and lyrically downbeat than a lot of Elbow albums. They're very good!
Lindstrom - quite downbeat. The usual Lindstrom thing of longish tracks but only one is a shimmering thing.
Big Thief - their second album of the year. It's good but not quite as good as 'UFOF'.

With no football, limited other sport and a lot of rain over the weekend, I've powered through a load of new releases. The Common Holly album seems to be out physically but not digitally so haven't given that a listen. For stuff I have listened to:

Richard Dawson - exceptionally good. Probably a bit less folkie than his previous albums, lots of story songs, some amusing, some heartbreaking. He's a proper talent, not sure whether to describe him as the new Robert Wyatt or KenLoach/Mike Leigh in musical form.
La Feline - French intello-popsters return. Think, kind of, St Etienne if they actually sang in French. Well worth seeking out.
Blackwater Holylight - all female (I think) psych/stoner rock band from the USA. Think this is their second album. It's very good! They have a hypnotic quality.
Bodega - a mini-album/EP really. 7 tracks, 16 minutes. Continues on from last year's album. Impressive.
Allah-Lahs - they continue their mission to redo the 60s. Probably their best album yet, top quality songs.
Starcrawler - much better than their debut album. Some properly good singalong rock here.
Mark Kozelek and Petra Hayden - kind of business as usual for Kozelek, although there's less guitar here than previously (with Petra Hayden being a violinist/arranger). Some lovely stuff, some very long songs (7 tracks, 72 minutes). He still loves boxing, he still doesn't like The War On Drugs (but he does like Kurt Vile). Contains a song called "Parakeet Prison", which most other albums don't.
Kim Gordon - her first proper solo record. It's really good. She's a bit more hipster friendly than Thurston. There's stuff here which will make dancefoloors.
Elbow - warm and comforting and all that. Actually, probably more musically upbeat and lyrically downbeat than a lot of Elbow albums. They're very good!
Lindstrom - quite downbeat. The usual Lindstrom thing of longish tracks but only one is a shimmering thing.
Big Thief - their second album of the year. It's good but not quite as good as 'UFOF'.
Richard Dawson - 2020 is some album. It'll probably end up being my favourite of the year. Nice little interview here INTERVIEW: Richard Dawson

New Lindstrom is a bit boring really.

808 state is as you’d expect acid and techno driven. Not going to attract new fans but old fans will enjoy I imagine.

Stephen mallinder ( ex cabaret Voltaire ). Really good electro album. Similar to creep show and wrangler which he also does.

Redrago- DJ Tennis and Red Axes combine to make very good house music.

New Lindstrom is a bit boring really.

808 state is as you’d expect acid and techno driven. Not going to attract new fans but old fans will enjoy I imagine.

Stephen mallinder ( ex cabaret Voltaire ). Really good electro album. Similar to creep show and wrangler which he also does.

Redrago- DJ Tennis and Red Axes combine to make very good house music.

May well give a listen to the Stephen Mallinder album.

Back