New Music Releases Thread

So, last week's somewhat eclectic set of releases that I've chosen to listen to:

Efrim Manuel Menuck & Kevin Doria - as expected, very GSYBE! but with more vocals. Pretty good.
Jamila Woods - excellent! I'd describe her as a more organic Janelle Monae, if pushed. One of the better albums of the year thus far.
Clinic - sounds like Clinic but doesn't. Probably their best in a good while!
Von Spar - this is really good. A bit krautrock at times, a bit Hot Chip. Some quality guest vocals. Worth checking out.
Dark Morph - it's alright. Weird ambient nonsense, probably not something I'd go back to repeatedly.
Eliza Carthy - good. A lot of her recent stuff has been quite band focussed, this goes back to basics, vocals, one or two instruments. Obviously, a niche concern on here as we don't have too many folkies.
Mac DeMarco - it's all low key and nice and pleasant. I'm still not really sure why the kids love him so much.
AA Bondy - it's his first in ages (8 years). He's gone a bit more synthy than he was but there's still a very good, but not great, songwriter at work here.
Holly Herndon - I liked her previous two albums but this is a massive step forward. Previously, she'd taken an almost academic slant on producing electronic music. This takes samples of choirs, puts them through an AI program called Spawn and makes something very good. Up there with Jamila Woods as joint album of the week!

Going to see dEUS tonight on the ideal crash tour, cant wait, been a long time since I've seen them
I saw them in London the other week, have to admit I found it ever so slightly dull. Not as good as I remembered

Oh Sees this weekend which should be a bit mental

Not as excited about the National album as others as have heard it all live already! I’m sure it will be great tho

I saw them in London the other week, have to admit I found it ever so slightly dull. Not as good as I remembered
I thought they were great, really enjoyed it though The Ideal Crash is one of my all time favourites, it was played to death when it came out first and is still in pretty heavy rotation these days too. It helped being a friday night, crowd was well up for it.
Conversely Monday night, Better Oblivion Community Centre which I had been looking forward to for a long time, the band were great and I enjoyed it a lot but there was a definite Monday night vibe about the place that was hard to shake. Am expecting much of the same at Big Thief on Tuesday, probably even more so given their new album isnt exactly the livliest!

Another week, aonther set of new albums. Obviously, for most readers of the thread, one album dominates. Anyway, new stuff from Alex Lahey, Carly Rae Jepsen, Dionne Warwick, Institute, Interpol (an EP), Josephine Wiggs, Lil Kim, Motionless in White, Operators, Rammstein, Sisklyou, slowthai, Steel Pulse, The Head and the Heart, The National, Tyler The Creator, Zomby (an EP), Endless Boogie (their hard to find first two albums packaged together), Olden Yolk, Wreckless Eric, Laurence Pike, Imperial Wax (the remaining members of The Fall's final lineup), Hey Colossus and Erland Cooper.

Another week, aonther set of new albums. Obviously, for most readers of the thread, one album dominates. Anyway, new stuff from Alex Lahey, Carly Rae Jepsen, Dionne Warwick, Institute, Interpol (an EP), Josephine Wiggs, Lil Kim, Motionless in White, Operators, Rammstein, Sisklyou, slowthai, Steel Pulse, The Head and the Heart, The National, Tyler The Creator, Zomby (an EP), Endless Boogie (their hard to find first two albums packaged together), Olden Yolk, Wreckless Eric, Laurence Pike, Imperial Wax (the remaining members of The Fall's final lineup), Hey Colossus and Erland Cooper.
You're not wrong, I've been hanging for new Carly Rae Jepson for AGES!!!

Just ordered the Imperial Wax album. I'm pleased they've carried on, it would have been a shame if they'd called it a day

Anyone ever hear anymore about the whole hookworms thing? Thought it was strange at the time the band splitting up so quickly after the initial allegations, like they knew what he'd been accused of was true even though they claimed they didnt.
Quick google on it just shows the articles from last October when they announced the split.

Was a real shame, that album was class, would've loved to have seen them live.

Just shipped up to Boston for 4 nights of Frank Turner (I know, a few will view that as punishment - was meant to be 5 but he was rained out in Asbury Park on Sunday!).

Not expecting many surprises from him but looking forward to seeing a few different artists over the weekend. Liked the sound of AJJ, Jenny Owen Youngs, War on Women, Hayley Thompson King, and Trapper Schoepp when I checked them out this week and I’ve never got around to seeing The Hold Steady, John K Samson, and Loudon Wainwright III. Skinny Lister are always fun and I’ve not seen Against Me since Laura was a bloke.

A few interesting panels, too, including one on mental health in the industry - given the one year anniversary of Scott H last week and him and FT being friends...

I love AJJ. Their very early stuff is fun and different but they have evolved into something quite special over the last 5 years or so. The Bible 2 is one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years.

I was massively impressed by The Bible 2 when you recommended it. With regard to @Crayola-Kid's other bands not seen, The Hold Steady are bloody brilliant live and Loudon is much better live than on record (in my opinion at least).

I love AJJ. Their very early stuff is fun and different but they have evolved into something quite special over the last 5 years or so. The Bible 2 is one of my favourite albums of the last 10 years.
Thanks, I’ll give that a shot, unless that was what I listened to on Spotify - just played the first thing on their page.

I was massively impressed by The Bible 2 when you recommended it. With regard to @Crayola-Kid's other bands not seen, The Hold Steady are bloody brilliant live and Loudon is much better live than on record (in my opinion at least).
Loudon was last night - thoroughly enjoyed him. He played and read a bit from his book. Hold Steady are tonight - really looking forward to that. Architects are opening - didn’t like what I heard of them (kind of screamo rock) and some guy called Cory Branan (no idea)

New Biffy Clyro album out - Balance not Symmetry movie soundtrack

Last edited:
Aldous Harding was fantastic in Newcastle tonight. Played everything off the new album except for 'Fixture Picture', 1 from 'Party' - 'Blend', 1 standalone song 'Elation' and 1 unreleased song 'Old Peel' which was bonkers. It was one of those gigs where the audience were completely knocked out. It's quite an odd stage persona she has, but it's fascinating. Thought her band featuring H Hawkline were spot on.

Last edited:

Back