New Music Releases Thread

There are some new releases this week. We get albums from NOFX, RM, White Lung, Nyx Nott, Leftfield, Sophie Jamieson, Micah P Hinson, Terence Fixmer and Black Ox Orkestar.
Micah P Hinson hasn’t done anything for a good while as far as I can tell. Hope it’s a return to the form of his early stuff.

Top 10 of the year..

1. Aldous Harding - Warm Chris
2. Cate Le Bon - Pompeii
3. Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There
4. Gwenno - Tresor
5. Ghost Power - Ghost Power
6. Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork
7. Björk - Fossora
8. Danger Mouse & Black Thought - Cheat Codes
9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Cool It Down
10. Suede - Autofiction

Honorable mentions:
Gentle Sinners - These Actions Cannot Be Undone
Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B
Jonny Greenwood - Spencer
Kathryn Joseph - For Those Who Are The Wronged
Kathryn Williams - Night Drives
Luke Haines & Peter Buck - All The Kids Are Super Bummed Out
Panda Bear & Sonic Boom - Reset (wasn't too keen at first, really like it now)
Richard Dawson - The Ruby Cord (might have made top 10 if I'd heard it more)
Tim Burgess - Typical Music
Wet Leg - Wet Leg

I think I did it a few pages back, but there’s probably a few changes - here I go again:

Frank Turner
Bob Vylan
SG Goodman
Rayland Baxter
Jeremy Ivey
Dune Rats
Nikki Lane
Gogol Bordello
The Kernal
The Chats

Top 10

1. Plains - I walked with you aways
2. Big thief - dragon new warm mountain
3. Drive by truckers - welcome to club xii
4. Kevin morby - this is a photograph
5. Friendship - Love the stranger
6. Ryan Adams - Chris / Romeo and Juliet
7. Alex G - god save the animals
8. Stroppies - levity
9. Arlo McKinley - this mess we’re in
10. Taylor Swift - Midnights

Top 10

1. Plains - I walked with you aways
2. Big thief - dragon new warm mountain
3. Drive by truckers - welcome to club xii
4. Kevin morby - this is a photograph
5. Friendship - Love the stranger
6. Ryan Adams - Chris / Romeo and Juliet
7. Alex G - god save the animals
8. Stroppies - levity
9. Arlo McKinley - this mess we’re in
10. Taylor Swift - Midnights
Boooo to number 6

Leftfield nee album is great. Probably a late entrant into my top 10
I think that Formika record I posted about on the last page may be up your street too.

The PVA (not related to our former left wing back) record doesn't seem to have got much love on here, thought it may be more popular.

Feel like the majority of the best records this year came out very early and this last third of the year has been pretty sparse on quality. What are we most looking forward to next year?

I think that Formika record I posted about on the last page may be up your street too.

The PVA (not related to our former left wing back) record doesn't seem to have got much love on here, thought it may be more popular.

Feel like the majority of the best records this year came out very early and this last third of the year has been pretty sparse on quality. What are we most looking forward to next year?

Yeah the Formika record I enjoyed but need to listen to it properly without interruption mate.

Next year off top of my head there’s records from Iggy, John Cale, Depeche mode and hopefully the Cure for me.

Yeah the Formika record I enjoyed but need to listen to it properly without interruption mate.

Next year off top of my head there’s records from Iggy, John Cale, Depeche mode and hopefully the Cure for me.
Looking forward to a new Swans record and a new shame record next year. Hopefully something from Fat White Family too.

It’s also the year we will get new MBV and Boards of Canada. I can feel it :cool:

Looking forward to a new Swans record and a new shame record next year. Hopefully something from Fat White Family too.

It’s also the year we will get new MBV and Boards of Canada. I can feel it :cool:

Yeah forgot about MBV which is apparently definitely on its way.

FWF is a certainty.

Saul Adamscewski from FWF has got his solo record out in January. That'll be excellent going off what I've heard live.

Forgot about that, I was supposed to see him last month at think tank but he cancelled a few days before :evil:
That's gutting like. What was the reason given? Is Think Tank still in that venue outside the Life centre?

That Insecure Men record is brilliant, would like to see a follow up next year though don't think it's likely with this solo project kicking off in earnest.

Might as well do my mini review of the week:

Nyx Nott: Aidan Moffatt solo and instrumental. Very filmic and very good.
Sophie Jamieson: debut from a promising singer-songwriter, signed to Bella Union. One to watch!
Terence Fixmer: French techno, gets a little motorik at times. For some reason, reminds me of the rave episode of Spaced.
Black Ox Orkestar: a mix of folk, cabaret and klezmer. Their first in ages. Sung in a mix of Yiddish, English and German. Very engaging!
Micah P Hinson: he's back and little has changed. Maybe a little more folkie than earlier albums, still excellent!
Leftfield: their albums used to be a major event, now they're low key but still very good. The Grian Chatten track shows you what would happen if he took over from Jason Williamson fronting Sleaford Mods.
White Lung: spiky, punky, highly enjoyable! Sadly, their final album.

Album of the week: all seven in a tie.

My favourite albums of the year:

BC,NR
Cate Le Bon
Kendrick Lamar
Wet Leg
Big Thief
Father John Misty
Yard Act
Danger Mouse & Black Thought
Arctic Monkeys
Jockstrap

Top favourite would have to be the Arctic Monkeys, but BCNR ran it very close. Just seen that the latter only came 49th on Pitchfork’s top 50 of the year as well :lol:

My favourite albums of the year:

BC,NR
Cate Le Bon
Kendrick Lamar
Wet Leg
Big Thief
Father John Misty
Yard Act
Danger Mouse & Black Thought
Arctic Monkeys
Jockstrap

Top favourite would have to be the Arctic Monkeys, but BCNR ran it very close. Just seen that the latter only came 49th on Pitchfork’s top 50 of the year as well :lol:

Goodness me I forgot about Kendrick as well. I’ve had a bit of a mare with remembering what I’ve enjoyed this year…

Back