New Music Releases Thread

There are new releases tomorrow from Alexisonfire, CANDY, Conan Gray, Goose, Jack Johnson, JB Dunckel, Lupe Fiasco, Martin Courtney, MUNA, Noah Reid, Porcupine Tree, Regina Spektor, Soccer Mommy, Tim Heidecker, Young Guv, Zola Jesus, Noori & His Dorpa Band, Damien Jurado, Sessa, Brian Jonestown Massacre and Joan Shelley.
Getting in before anyone else does - the new Soccer Mommy is brilliant. Will give MUNA a listen next. Edit: and Porcupine Tree.

Last edited:

Enjoyed Soccer a mommy too

Also discovered a new album by G Love & the Special Sauce was released today, if anyone likes acoustic bluesy hip hop.

Last edited:
Very good collection of Wire studio demos was widely released yesterday. Previously available as a bootleg and officially released on vinyl only earlier in the year for RSD. Covers 1977-1978 period.

New releases I've listened to this week (well the first two are recommendations from this thread from last week):

Pet Fox: solid indie rock. Decent.
Satan Club: laidback, pastoral folk, mostly instrumental. Worth a listen.
Regina Spektor: good to have her back. Doesn't deviate far from her usual pattern. Piano led story songs. Enjoyable!
JB Dunckel: half of Air and you get a very Air-esque album. I like it.
Zola Jesus: angsty synth-goth, which is pretty much her modus operandi. Pretty good.
Joan Shelley: she's a top quality artist. As per usual, indie Americana folk. Excellent songs, Bill Callahan guests. Extremely good.
The Brian Jonestown Massacre: alt-jangle fun. Slightly overblown and bombastic, which is what they're good at.
Sessa: stripped back, sunny Brazilian folk. I'm enjoying this a lot.
Damien Jurado: I could pretty much repeat what I said about the Joan Shelley album (except the bit about Bill Callahan guesting).
Martin Courtney: the Real Estate man continues his solo side career. It's very good, doesn't deviate too much from Real Estate, almost sounds Antipodean at times.
Noori & His Dorpa Band: Noori plays a tambo-guitar (a hybrid of a guitar and a tambour, which is a lyre/lute like instrument). With his Dorpa Band, he produces Sudanese folk blues, which reminds me in turn of Ethiopian jazz and Malian blues. It's proper cracker this!
Soccer Mommy: another high quality album of indie rock/pop. Very good.
Robocobra Quartet: gave this a listen on the recoomendation above from @James. His description is spot on and it's bloody good! Reminds me a little of Ought.
Muna: an enjoyable and varied pop album from an all female trio. There's countryish songs, there's a bit of dance, there's indie. Interesting.

Album of the week: a close run thing but I think Noori & his Dorpa Band shade it from Joan Shelley, Robocobra Quartet, Damien Jurado and about four others.

My weekly listening has been:

Fern Maddie: folk. A mix of very good songs and trance-like instrumentals. Her debut.
Silberland: a compilation of early German electronic music. Focuses on the psychedelic and the more ambient end of things.
Nick Cave: a mini-album. Seven short spoken word pieces, accompanied by Warren Ellis' atmospheric music then an instrumental version of all seven.
Gwenno: @The Music Man got it spot on. Don't let the fact it's in Cornish put you off. Jane Weaver is a reference point. Very good!
The Burning Hell: witty indiepop songs from a very underrated band. Great live as well (the band, not specifically this album).
Naima Bock: she may be an ex member of Goat Girl but this is nothing like them. There are influences from both British folk and Brazilian tropicalia here. It's a very, very impressive album!
Guided By Voices: continuing their fine run of indie rock albums (2 to 3 a year). They're creating full songs nowadays, which is great. Only 10 tracks in 38 minutes seems odd for a GBV album.
Simmerdim: a multi-artist album themed around the Eurasian Curlew and supported by the RSPB. It's mostly the work of Orkney born musician Merlyn Driver, with help from The Unthanks, a throat singer, David Gray (that one), Talvin Singh and others.
Moor Mother: more murky, political rap from a constantly intriguing artist. Well worth a listen. Maybe a little more jazz influenced than previous albums.

Album of the week: some good 'uns there from names old and new but the Naima Bock album is up there. Very, very good!

Back