New Music Releases Thread

I know about Pinegrove, but what’s Draper done?
Estrons vocalist Tali Källström used the band’s Facebook page to inform fans that Paul Draper had sent her inappropriate messages prior to their dates supporting his band, and consequently she’d decided to cancel the shows. She wrote: “I have experienced sexism, misogyny and prejudice, but this time, enough is enough. I will not pander because I want success. I was asked to sweep this under the carpet, but I can’t. I want to play alongside musicians that respect me and like me for my music and personality, not because they are sexually interested in me.” Tali is a fierce front-woman who’s not afraid to ask for more, and I hope her words have inspired other women in the industry to speak out against similar types of behaviour.

They're continuing without him

Don't have much luck with lead singers that group of mates...

Really sad that - though everything about his lyrics and persona seemed to be leading to it, it’s a shame to see someone so clearly unhappy walking away from something so wonderful.

Right, there are new releases this week from Animal Collective, Bastille, Black Country, New Road (as much discussed), Cate Le Bon, Korn, Mitski, The Order of the 12, Los Bitchos, The Jazz Butcher, Erin Rae and Abiodun Oyewole.

Also, just spotted that a Beirut rareities comp came out last week.

Right, there are new releases this week from Animal Collective, Bastille, Black Country, New Road (as much discussed), Cate Le Bon, Korn, Mitski, The Order of the 12, Los Bitchos, The Jazz Butcher, Erin Rae and Abiodun Oyewole.

Also, just spotted that a Beirut rareities comp came out last week.
BCNR and CLB for me.

Bcnr absolutely fabulous, album felt even more special with the sad news earlier in the week

Will get round to listening to mitski tomorrow. Got Jockstrap tickets today

FFS, I decided to listen to Cate Le Bon on my way back from work (enjoyed it to be fair) and am now on a family trip all weekend :lol: Really look forward to hearing BCNR based on comments so far.

New bronze BCNR (yes I’m a coloured vinyl heathen) looking excellent on the rega. Brilliant album and feels so much more than a collection of songs like I thought the first was.

Is it just me or on The Place Where He Inserted The Blade does Isaac sound very Jarvis Cocker

Last edited:
FFS, I decided to listen to Cate Le Bon on my way back from work (enjoyed it to be fair) and am now on a family trip all weekend :lol: Really look forward to hearing BCNR based on comments so far.
They have mentioned wanting to create their own 'Funeral' before, and they have definitely pulled that off here. You will not be disappointed, it's absolutely tremendous.

It's quite gutting not be to be seeing them next week, that would have been special. I've seen most of these tracks live before so I'm quite fortunate really, but obviously not after having the time to listen to them on record a few times.

So, this week's new releases for me. Generally high on quality...

Cate Le Bon: It's good. Not that massive a departure from her recent releases.
Black Country, New Road: It's very, very, very, very, very good indeed. Going to be near the top of a lot of album of the year lists.
Beirut: 26 tracks of rareities, offcuts, B-sides etc. Really good. The usual mix of eastern European sounds, klezmer etc.
Abiodun Oyewole: A solo album from one of The Last Poets. This reminds me of bit of Gil Scott-Heron's "I'm New Here". Wll worth a listen or three.
Animal Collective: something of a return to form. Probably their best since Merriweather Post Pavilion.
Erin Rae: US folk artist gets an alt-rockish make over from Kevin Morby. This is very good. Excellent songs, warm voice.
Mitski: moving toward the mainstream. A very good almost pop album.
Los Bitchos: fun album of the week. A hybrid of Latin American influences and garage rock. Mostly instumental. Very good live band.
The Order of the 12: Richard Norris of The Grid and Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve turns his hand to pastoral psych-folk. Seems pretty good on first listen.
The Reds, Pinks and Purples: top San Francisco psych-dream-indie band. Not as good as :Uncommon Weather" but still a fine album.

Album of the Week: well, BCNR clearly but most of the above could have been in another week.

Back