New Music Releases Thread

Early contender for album of the first fortnight of 2022:"Recurring Dream" by Jeff Tobias. He's a member of the brilliant but increasingly hard to find a way to listen to Modern Nature but also a solo Jeff who's made a right corker of an album.
Will have to try it. Modern Nature's Island Of Noise comes to streaming platforms 28th Jan.

New music from Alex Lifeson:

Envy Of None - Liar
I really like this. I`m glad he`s back and doing something completely different. I`m actually listening to the whole album now as I`m hoping to get an interview with Alex over the next few weeks with any luck to talk about this. The album will undoubtedly surprise a lot of people and will appeal to people who wouldn`t normally go anywhere near Rush.

I really like this. I`m glad he`s back and doing something completely different. I`m actually listening to the whole album now as I`m hoping to get an interview with Alex over the next few weeks with any luck to talk about this. The album will undoubtedly surprise a lot of people and will appeal to people who wouldn`t normally go anywhere near Rush.
Agree, like what I've heard so far, and I thought 'Victor' was great too, roll on 8th April.

Hope you do, always comes across as a supernice/interesting and fun guy too.

Last edited:
Apple Music suggestions spot on for releases today:

The Kernal - Listen to the Blood - old school sounding outlaw country with a bit of a scuzzy indie-rock type production sound going on in places (which gives it a bit of a 90s Beck vibe on some of the bluesier tracks).

Jamestown Revival - Young Man - nice sounding Americana/folk stuff
The Kernal is absolutely outstanding IMO. Changed my assessment to Johnny Cash meets Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.
Frank Turner’s new single about Scott Hutchison

Over lockdown he became probably my favourite songwriter, can’t believe it took me so long to get round to listening to his back catalogue.

Super excited for the new album, I’ve been really impressed with the singles so far. Ordered a signed 1st pressing (CD, I was too late for the vinyl) back in the summer, I’d pretty much forgotten I’d ordered it until Frank posted a photo of him signing covers on Instagram a week or so ago.

Last edited:
My summary of the week's new listening:

Jeff Tobias - mentioned above. Bloody, bleedin' ace this. Sort of gentle, pastoral psych indie thing.
Garcia Peoples - psych folk rock jam types who a re quite prolific (The Grateful Dead are a big influence). This is probably their most commercially attuned album so far (i.e. most of the songs are quite short).
Broken Social Scene - oddities and rareities collection. Works well, without being spectacular.
Orlando Weeks - a bit synth poppy. Good in places.
Cat Power - covers, generally very well done. Cracking version of "A Pair Of Brown Eyes:.
Daniel Blumberg - he continues his eccentric and winding career with a film score. A bit modern classical, a bit post-rock. Pretty good.
Monodrama - very enjoyable and engaging sax fronted space jazz from Madrid.
Elvis Costello & the Imposters - Costello at his most rocking in a good while, this is a very good album.
Mary Lattimore - harp pieces collected from across the last few years. Essentially, another oddities collection. Would be a good introduction to psych-folk harpery for anyone not engaging with it yet.

Album of the week: well, Jeff Tobias gets that title. Costello and Monodrama very good also.

Last edited:
The Orlando Weeks record (singer from the Maccabees for anyone unaware) has about 4 nice tracks on it, the rest is very middle of the road and completely forgettable. That is kinda what I expected to be fair.

I stood next to him at a gig a few weeks ago. He is very small. Very interesting story.

Really like this new Bonobo record. Gunna give this Jeff Tobias one a spin now.

The Orlando Weeks record (singer from the Maccabees for anyone unaware) has about 4 nice tracks on it, the rest is very middle of the road and completely forgettable. That is kinda what I expected to be fair.

I stood next to him at a gig a few weeks ago. He is very small. Very interesting story.

:lol:

I'll give Bonobo a listen at some point.

playing sunderland fire station march 13th

Really like the new Earl Sweatshirt album but it took a few listens.

Couldn’t get on board with the change in style from FKA Twigs at all. Shame as I loved Magdalene.

That sounds class mate, I'd love to have seen them somewhere that intimate.
Yes, very much looking forward to it. It's definitely one of the advantages of living over here when it comes to seeing some UK/Irish/European acts if they're not as big over here, though I'm sure the same is the case for some US acts playing over there. The Yard Act gig mentioned above is a 250 capacity (though it isn't sold out!)

Back