New Music Releases Thread

I love Low album. Never heard of them before. Worth listening just for that. Cheers. I’ll let you know more as I go through them😀

White Horses is my fave tune of the month.
You don’t know Low? Oh mate. They’re amazing.

I could live in hope, things we lost in the fire, double negative and long division are the best albums. But they’re all great.

One of my favourite bands.

You don’t know Low? Oh mate. They’re amazing.

I could live in hope, things we lost in the fire, double negative and long division are the best albums. But they’re all great.

One of my favourite bands.
That’s what is crackers about music. I’ve listened to loads of stuff from when I was 15 so a long long time and still discovering new stuff.

Listened today to the new Clinker record.
It’s a super group of Stephen Mallinder ( cabaret Voltaire) Lone lady and Benge

As you’d expect it’s synth, industrial electronics.

The genius that is Michael Rother also has a new track out today.

Listened today to the new Clinker record.
It’s a super group of Stephen Mallinder ( cabaret Voltaire) Lone lady and Benge

As you’d expect it’s synth, industrial electronics.

The genius that is Michael Rother also has a new track out today.

I think they're called Campbell/Mallinder/Benge and the record's called Clinker.

My Top of the pops 2021

Iron and wine Tallahassee
Faye Webster I know I’m funny haha
Wolf Alice blue weekend
Esther rose how many times
Morgan Wade reckless
Courtney Barnett things take time
Hovvdy true love
Drugstore romeos world within our bedrooms
Kacey Musgraves star crossed
LUMP Animal

My Top of the pops 2021

Iron and wine Tallahassee
Faye Webster I know I’m funny haha
Wolf Alice blue weekend
Esther rose how many times
Morgan Wade reckless
Courtney Barnett things take time
Hovvdy true love
Drugstore romeos world within our bedrooms
Kacey Musgraves star crossed
LUMP Animal

Underrated

I chewed me way through a few I’d not got around to listening to yet on the Eurostar yesterday - Mdou Moctar, Geese and The Muckers. Never heard of The Muckers before and they aren’t exactly breaking new ground but I quite enjoyed it.

Top albums for me this year in no order:
Jon Hopkins - Music for pyschedlics
Valerie June - You and I
Damon Albarn - The Nearer the fountain
Margo Cilker - Pohorylle
Sleaford Mods - Spare Ribs
Arab Strap - As days get dark
I missed For those I love which is actually the best album of the year. I would also add Explosions in the sky - Big Bend.

I'm still working my way through a load of new (and newish) stuff from the weekend. Work meant I barely listened to anything yesterday. Selected highlights so far:

Aeon Station: basically three quarters of the Wrens, a band who could have been big but fell apart (their album The Meadowlands was massively acclaimed in 2003). Exceptionally good - at times anthemic, at times gentle. Touches, maybe, of Arcade Fire before wonkiness set in. Sadly, too late for most album of the year polls.
Neil Young & Crazyhorse: a relatively straightforward release. Chugging Crazyhorse guitars, Young environmentally focussed in his lyrics.
Coldcut: a sprawling ambient mixtape. Some tracks are new, some are remixes (of their own stuff plus other artists). Really, really good. Not sure I need the single track mix version of it.
The Brandy Alexanders: astute indie rock with an eye on the dancefloor occasionally. Reminds me a little of Jane's Addiction in parts.
Nell Smith & The Flaming Lips: Nick Cave covers. The Lips are very much the backing band. It's an intriguing idea.
Bill Callahan & Bonnie Prince Billy: their lockdown covers. A wide range of artists featured and it's not all laconic country rock. The highlights most definitely are their version of Leonard Cohen's "The Night of Santiago" and Silver Jews' "The WIld Kindness" but everything is good.
WEEED: stoned psych folk. I think they've released a few albums but this is the first I've heard, coutesy of a 9/10 Uncut review. Excellent throughout.
Spell Songs: high quality British folk about nature.
Pearly Gate Music: the other Tillman brother. This sounds remarkably like FJM's debut album TBH, which is pretty good.
Callum Easter: lo-fi Scottish indie rock with folk overtones. Hooks aplenty.

The rest I've listened to includes ambient drones of varying sorts (Jessica Moss, Light Conductor, Olivia Block), eccentric weird folk (Michael Hurley), French situationist eccentropop (The Snobs), a Christmas album (Hiss Golden Messenger doing Christmas in their style), industrial electonic synths (Campbell/Mallinder/Benge) and own album redone in a bit of a showtune style (Nicole Atkins).

I'm still working my way through a load of new (and newish) stuff from the weekend. Work meant I barely listened to anything yesterday. Selected highlights so far:

Aeon Station: basically three quarters of the Wrens, a band who could have been big but fell apart (their album The Meadowlands was massively acclaimed in 2003). Exceptionally good - at times anthemic, at times gentle. Touches, maybe, of Arcade Fire before wonkiness set in. Sadly, too late for most album of the year polls.
Neil Young & Crazyhorse: a relatively straightforward release. Chugging Crazyhorse guitars, Young environmentally focussed in his lyrics.
Coldcut: a sprawling ambient mixtape. Some tracks are new, some are remixes (of their own stuff plus other artists). Really, really good. Not sure I need the single track mix version of it.
The Brandy Alexanders: astute indie rock with an eye on the dancefloor occasionally. Reminds me a little of Jane's Addiction in parts.
Nell Smith & The Flaming Lips: Nick Cave covers. The Lips are very much the backing band. It's an intriguing idea.
Bill Callahan & Bonnie Prince Billy: their lockdown covers. A wide range of artists featured and it's not all laconic country rock. The highlights most definitely are their version of Leonard Cohen's "The Night of Santiago" and Silver Jews' "The WIld Kindness" but everything is good.
WEEED: stoned psych folk. I think they've released a few albums but this is the first I've heard, coutesy of a 9/10 Uncut review. Excellent throughout.
Spell Songs: high quality British folk about nature.
Pearly Gate Music: the other Tillman brother. This sounds remarkably like FJM's debut album TBH, which is pretty good.
Callum Easter: lo-fi Scottish indie rock with folk overtones. Hooks aplenty.

The rest I've listened to includes ambient drones of varying sorts (Jessica Moss, Light Conductor, Olivia Block), eccentric weird folk (Michael Hurley), French situationist eccentropop (The Snobs), a Christmas album (Hiss Golden Messenger doing Christmas in their style), industrial electonic synths (Campbell/Mallinder/Benge) and own album redone in a bit of a showtune style (Nicole Atkins).
Really enjoyed some of those, Aeon Station and WEEED in particular

Down to a proper trickle of new releases this week. There are albums from John Dwyer (and his mates), Jah Wobble, Madmess and Beverly Glenn-Copeland (remixes).

That's probably the last releases of the year.

Back