New Music Releases Thread

There are new releases this week from Juicy J, Don't Know How But They Found Me, Autechre, Gord Downie (posthumous), HEALTH, Jennifer Castle, Kevin Morby, Osees (seemingly their second in not long ), Pluralone, Sam Robets, Sturgill Simpson (a bluegrass album), The Struts, Evie Sands, Quintron & Miss Pussycat, The Phoenix Foundation, Mav Karlo, Hawkwind Light Orchestra, Cordovas, the Blue Note reimagined compilation, Beabadoobee, Steep Canyon Rangers, Matt Berninger and Catherine Anne Davies & Bernard Butler.
It’s the third Osees in a few weeks, albeit one was live. Also a new one coming before the end of the year

Bon Jovi new album is a real return to form.
He seems to be one of the only mainstream artist to be openly political at the moment.
He certainly doesnt know about politics anywhere else! This was a right whopper he came out with last week, claiming bono was chased around the streets of dublin by orangeman! :lol:

Steven Adams and the French Drops is pretty fun.

And my old discovery for the week was the Langley Schools Music Project. It’s a tape of school kids in the 70s singing Bowie, Beach Boys etc. If it doesn’t make you smile, you have no soul

The Langley Schools album is a thing of great beauty and brilliance.
If there was to be one person who had heard it, I knew it would be you sir
Some stuff I've been catching up on:

Out Today

Drew Citron - former member of Beverley and Frankie Rose. Reminded me of an American version of Katie Malco (one of my faves of the year so far). Guitar indie with a couple of flecks of Americana here and there. Really liked it.
Slow Pup - indie rock, laid-back and catchy in equal doses with a guitary squall here and there. First pass and a half, very good - liked it a lot. Will revisit.
Supercrush - 3-minute indie sunny harmony belters from Seattle. Without a doubt in my top 5 early Teenage Fanclub albums.
Vis Invis Electrique - instrumental noise rock electronica from Brooklyn. Started with great promise but went a bit meh monotonous for me.

Other stuff from today that I gave a listen to with varying levels of interest were albums by Lupin (singer of another band that escapes me), Lewis Del Mar, and Two Feet

Stuff I caught up on and liked, from the past couple of weeks, that I don't think were listed on here (although "Search" has let me down before)

Death Bells - post-punk but of the mainstream variety - think Editors / White Lies
Wax Chattels - post-punk of the noisy, angular, abrasive. More like the recent Irish stuff or Savages, depending if it was the bloke or lass singing
Shutups - a solid noisey indie guitar EP
Seth Bogart - don't really recall what this was like, but I wrote it down so must have been ok in my mind
Sad13 - I know this was in one of weekly lists but finally got around to it. Not as good as Sadie D's Speedy Ortiz stuff, and thought they were better live, too. Solid enough indie fare. I'll listen again but nothing groundbreaking on first listen
Vistas - Scottish mainstream guitar pop. I like them (posted about them once on this thread a couple of years back). Somehow I missed this release from back in May - It'll be too polished and upbeat for many but they get a smile from me. Preferred their singles though
That first Death Bells track is basically White Lies

Last edited:
Steven Adams and the French Drops is pretty fun.

And my old discovery for the week was the Langley Schools Music Project. It’s a tape of school kids in the 70s singing Bowie, Beach Boys etc. If it doesn’t make you smile, you have no soul
Forgot all about that. I got ‘you’re so good to me’ on a covers compilation CD on the front of NME about 15 years ago and loved it.

Part 1 of this week's new and newish stuff...

Beverly Glenn-Copeland - I think this has been out for a while but, being a dafty, I''ve chosen a week when loads of other stuff is out to give it a listen. Marvellous! It's a bit Anthony and the Johnsons/Benjamin Clementine. Essentially, a compilation of highlights from albums that should have sold more, live tracks etc.
Drew Citron - @Crayola-Kid mentioned this last week, I think. She's formerly of both Beverly and Public Practice and has been a touring guitarist for Frankie Rose and touring member of The Pains of Being Pure of Heart (if you saw them a few years back, she was the looker). It's a really good album of alt guitar goodness.
Jennifer Castle - the Canadian singer songwriter, not the Oxford academic. This is very fragile and very beautiful! Recorded solo in lockdown, I believe so a tad lo-fi but beneficial for that.
Sam Roberts Band - interesting. An album of very British but very international alt-rock. Good songs, potentially mainstream.
Catherine Anne Davies and Bernard Butler - Catherine Anne Davies is a Welsh multi-instrumentalist, known for recording as The Anchoress. She's played with the Manics and Simple Minds. She's clearly been hiding a hell of a voice. This is great. It's Bernard Butler doing what he does with quality vocals (see also McAlmont and Butler).
Matt Berninger - just excellent. As @James has said, it's a lovely album. He writes songs that few other people would be capable of writing. Lyrically tremendous and musically great.
Kevin Morby - Morbo gets a bit more low key and intimate than before. I think there are lockdown elements here. I came into this thinking it could be his first mis-step but it's actually rather wonderful! Haway, the Morbo!

Back