New Music Releases Thread

With the exception of Hurts, Tricky and Throwing Muses I have no idea who any of those are.

I’ve done a bit of googling and it looks like Robb Johnson, Bill Callahan and Emily Barker might all be my kind of thing. They all have fairly decent sized back catalogues as well if I enjoy them.
Emily Barker (and Red Clay Halo) is a frequent collaborator of Frank Turner so I'll likely give that a listen. I'll be all over Throwing Muses and then Tricky, probably GLP.

Abbey Road expanded remaster of Laura Stevenson's Sit Resist is also out - that will be wonderful.

Emily Barker (and Red Clay Halo) is a frequent collaborator of Frank Turner so I'll likely give that a listen. I'll be all over Throwing Muses and then Tricky, probably GLP.

Abbey Road expanded remaster of Laura Stevenson's Sit Resist is also out - that will be wonderful.
Sit Resist has been one of my working from home background music staples recently so I’m quite looking forward to it.

Had that Kelly Lee Owens record on a few times yesterday. Can't quite make my mind up on it. I much prefer the songs without vocals, though the collab with John Cale is great. Not feeling a big pull to bring me back to it.

I think I'm in agreement here. I preferred Kelly Lee Owens' self titled debut to this album, on early listens. I still like this album a lot but not so sure that her voice is her strength.

I missed Declan McKenna from my list of new releases. He's got The Guardian's album of the week (with 4 stars out of 5).

I think I'm in agreement here. I preferred Kelly Lee Owens' self titled debut to this album, on early listens. I still like this album a lot but not so sure that her voice is her strength.

I missed Declan McKenna from my list of new releases. He's got The Guardian's album of the week (with 4 stars out of 5).

I thought he was shit for so long... really loved the singles off this new record, though. Went back to his debut and found a lot to like as well. Smart kid and a lot more depth to him than on first impressions Declan McKenna – the story behind Paracetamol

Listening to him co-hosting Annie Mac's new show (new 6pm slot) right now live on R1.

May have been mentioned already, but the singer from Ulrika Spacek has released a couple of solo songs under the name Astrel K. Less shoegazey, more pop.
Is it over for Ulrika Spacek? Enjoyed their last couple of records after I saw them supporting Ride.

New 7" single from Arab Strap coming in October but it's on youtube now. Album to follow either later this year or early next (seen contradictory articles). The single is very good.

Last edited:
Is it over for Ulrika Spacek? Enjoyed their last couple of records after I saw them supporting Ride.

New single from Arab Strap released in October but it's on youtube now. Album to follow either later this year or early next (seen contradictory articles). The single is very good.
Nah I think they're still going, they did say they wanted to really a longer break after the last record so I expect they'll be back at some point. Think the singer lives in Sweden now.

There’s a charity album of acoustic covers of Sublime songs out today - a mix of punk and reggae bands doing Sublime songs with proceeds of all purchases and streams going to the Bradley Nowell Foundation.

Bizarrely it includes the Descendents covering Sublime covering the Descendents.

Last edited:
I thought he was shit for so long... really loved the singles off this new record, though. Went back to his debut and found a lot to like as well. Smart kid and a lot more depth to him than on first impressions Declan McKenna – the story behind Paracetamol

Listening to him co-hosting Annie Mac's new show (new 6pm slot) right now live on R1.

Why Do You Feel So Down, Paracetamol, and British Bombs (released as a stand alone single I think) are great tracks. Listening to the new album now.

New releases this week from Big Sean, Bill Callahan, Hannah Georgas, Hurts, Throwing Muses, Tricky, Dream Nails, Robb Johnson &the Irregulars, Thor & Friends (2 albums), Grant Lee Phillips, Afel Bocoum, Krononaut, Mary Coughlan, Galya Basingalieva, Emily Barker, Jeremy Tuplin, Danny Keane and the Angelheaded Hipster Marc Bolan compilation.
Looking forward to afel bochum, can't get the adulation for bill callaghan. The Marc bolan compilation sounds intruiging

Looking forward to afel bochum, can't get the adulation for bill callaghan. The Marc bolan compilation sounds intruiging

The Bolan thing could be very good. Nick Cave's version of Cosmic Dancer alone is probably worth the admission fee. I'm a massive Bill Callahan fan so will have to agree to disagree. Afel Bocoum - the side man becomes the central figure? Not listened to it yet but looking forward to it.

Back