New Music Releases Thread

Abusive to band members, partners etc. Prone to violent outbursts, irrational. A complete genius though!
The last line up couldn't speak highly enough of him mind. They said he was a true gent.
I met both last night at an event. The was a The Fall disco afterwards but not one person got up for a dance.
Was this for Paul Hanley's book launch of his Hex Enduction Hour book? I saw a few of them did a similar thing at The Deershed Festival a few years ago. Again they all spoke really highly of MES although they did admit that he had his traits :lol:

Last edited:
Is this the long promised/delayed gospel album?

Looks like it judging by the tracklist and album title but who knows. Said in an interview with Zane Lowe earlier today he's releasing a Sunday Service gospel album at Christmas so this could be absolutely anything really.

Hope it’s better than the last one.

I didn't mind it to be honest, didn't think it was that bad. Wouldn't Leave in particular was really good I thought.

Will be disappointing if it's on the ye/The Life of Pablo standard though like you say.

The last line up couldn't speak highly enough of him mind. They said he was a true gent.

Was this for Paul Hanley's book launch of his Hex Enduction Hour book? I saw a few of them did a similar thing at The Deershed Festival a few years ago. Again they all spoke really highly of MES although they did admit that he had his traits :lol:

Yeah. My mate in Walthamstow puts stuff like that on. They both seem really nice blokes and Paul in particular has nothing but good memories of working with Smith. Steve as you’d expect has been tainted somewhat.

Kanye's new album tomorrow lads, I assume we're all very excited?

Not a massive rap or hip hop fan nor kanye’s but Robert Glaspers album f**k yo feelings is good.

Quite liking the new steeling sheep song - show love as well as Kindess - hard to believe.

Also just recently discovered will Samson. Not sure yet exactly if I like his music of not but certainly listenable.

Really liking debut album Sex Monk Blues by Tom of England.
Excellent post punk / disco / no wave hybrid.
Bonus points for track names such as Sniffin in the griffin and Song of the Sex Monk.

Been working through a whole load of new stuff this week. In summary:

Songhoy Blues - a five track EP (although tracks 4 and 5 are different mixes of 1 and 2). Very good indeed. "Time To Go Home" may be the best thing they've recorded.
Kanye West - I've already commented on the thread about this. It's not at all bad but nowhere near some of his early work.
Brix & the Extricated - this is a lot more muscular than the first two albums. Rocks quite hard in places.
The HU - newly beloved of @ned_werby. I'd heard the singles but not the album, which is excellent. Reminds me a bit of some of the folk metal I like.
Sean O'Hagan - pristine chamber pop. Fans of Field Music will like this. Reminiscent of Microdisney, unsurprisingly, given that he was the less angry half of the songwriting duo.
Lankum - further adventures in droning folk from the best newish/youngish band in Ireland. Probably my album of the week.
Bantou Mentale - a but of a DRC supergroup as members have been involved in Staff Benda Bilili, Konono No1, Jupiter & Okwess and Mbongwana Star. Pretty bloody marvellous hybrid of Afrobeat and Electronica.
The Leaf Library - it's been a good week for new stuff. This is thoughtful electronic indie pop. Reminds me a little of Stereolab and a lot of Virginia Wing, but a bit more languid. It's a long album but none of the tracks seem overly long. Exceptional!
Garcia Peoples - three tracks in 47 minutes, including an epic 31 minute title track and a radio edit of it (8 mins long). Need to listen more but they're growing into their Grateful Dead for millenials ambitions.
Mikal Cronin - first in 4 years from Ty Segall's mate. This is excellent. commercially viable Pavementesque indie rock. A step up from his other solo efforts (which were pretty good, in fairness).
Neil Young & Crazyhorse - on early listening, it's a good Neil Young album, first with Crazyhorse in a good while. Time will tell how well regarded it ends up.
Zonal - good but scary. Kind of lives up to its constituent parts (Kevin Martin AKA The Bug and Justin from Godflesh) in that it's disturbing beats, guitars and a range of mostly urban vocals.
Tanya Tucker - a country veteran's first in a decade. Came out in the summer but I've only just picked up on it now. Given the Cash American Recordings treatment, in that it's very stripped down. One of the country/Americana albums of the year.
Swans - different personnel from the original post-hiatus return. No less epic but a little less loud and angry. Rivals Lankum for album of the week.
Fags After Shags - as with the debut, musically lovely but lyrically a bit ugh.
Mapstation - spectral electronica, mostly instrumental but one track, with a crystalline European vocal, is Bjorkesque. Intriguing!

AJJ have confirmed a new album out 20 January. The opening track is available as a “pre-save” - I’m not sure what I think of it, I think I like it but it’s nothing like their last 2 albums or the rarities comp it’s more like their earlier stuff meets Moldy Peaches.

New releases this week from A Winged Victory For The Sullen, Cold War Kids, Counterparts, CUP (a Nels Cline project), Fenella (a Jane Weaver project), Gang Starr, Highly Suspect, Hootie & the Blowfish, Jeff Goldblum, Jeff Lynne's ELO, Leif Vollebekk, Michael Kiwanuka, Miranda Lambert, Stray From The Path, Vetiver, Warmduscher, Underworld, Omni, Half Moon Run, Toby Hay, Sudan Archives and Itasca.

New releases this week from A Winged Victory For The Sullen, Cold War Kids, Counterparts, CUP (a Nels Cline project), Fenella (a Jane Weaver project), Gang Starr, Highly Suspect, Hootie & the Blowfish, Jeff Goldblum, Jeff Lynne's ELO, Leif Vollebekk, Michael Kiwanuka, Miranda Lambert, Stray From The Path, Vetiver, Warmduscher, Underworld, Omni, Half Moon Run, Toby Hay, Sudan Archives and Itasca.
Pretty decent week that

Back