New Music Releases Thread

Any thoughts on the Mercury Prize list? Looks really good to me. SEED Ensemble's the only I've not listened to, out of the rest the only I wasn't keen on was Foals.

Really good list apart from that. That Black Midi album seems like it'd be really popular with people in this thread.

Any thoughts on the Mercury Prize list? Looks really good to me. SEED Ensemble's the only I've not listened to, out of the rest the only I wasn't keen on was Foals.

Really good list apart from that. That Black Midi album seems like it'd be really popular with people in this thread.

It's the best/most adventurous list in a good few years. Bookies have slowthai, Idles and Dave as favourites. Would like Little Simz to win.

That's what I was thinking. It's got a spaghetti western retro shoegaze vibe to it.
enjoying it. will be listening to that more fully, Violent Femmes, Of Monsters and Men (got a bit of a thing about them), and try some of the others listed when I get the chance.

Listening to Rosalie Cunningham now, it's a real 'wtf' album, thoroughly enjoying it.

Last edited:
New EP from Rayland Baxter today. It’s an EP of Mac Miller covers so it'll either be brilliant or horrendous.

Enjoying Violent Femmes on first listen. To be completely honest I forgot they existed until @Arkle recommended - had no idea they’d reformed and released 2 albums either so their 2016 release may occupy some of my time next time there’s a quiet week.

The Black Midi album is weird, it sort of goes between the sublime to the ridiculous.

Manchester supremo Martin Brew of Fat City records has put out his new album under his J Walk moniker today.
One for @td586 perhaps ??

cheers hew

ordered one earlier today,great minds ;)

fresh in today

la torre ibiza volumen tres

double lp, of some mighty fine,balearic beats and emotional pop

cheers hew

ordered one earlier today,great minds ;)

fresh in today

la torre ibiza volumen tres

double lp, of some mighty fine,balearic beats and emotional pop

Actually listened to it a bit on metro this morning after reading about it on the Piccadilly records staff picks page. Excellent Opening track the Jah Wobble number.

New EP from Rayland Baxter today. It’s an EP of Mac Miller covers so it'll either be brilliant or horrendous.
That EP is quite interesting. I’m a big Rayland Baxter fan but never really gave MAC Miller a chance (the fact he was with Ariana Grande made me think he was probably a pop-rapper) but this might prompt me to check him out. Main criticism is that (without knowing what the original sounds like) it doesn’t seem like RB has put enough of his own stamp/sound to some of the tracks

Manchester supremo Martin Brew of Fat City records has put out his new album under his J Walk moniker today.
One for @td586 perhaps ??
Been listening to that today at work. I’m having it.

I hate this Violent Femmes album. It reminds me of Barenaked Ladies.

I hope the second half is better if I can last that long but I’m tempted to turn off.

Under no circumstances bother with Violent Femmes. Jesus :lol:

And I love them.

The Black Midi album is weird, it sort of goes between the sublime to the ridiculous.
I think it’s brilliant me like. Out of them all I hope it wins. Can’t put my finger on what but it reminds me of something. Maybe like the way I wanted QOTSA to turn out post Rated R and Songs for the deaf.

1 or 2 duffers.

Last edited:

I hope the second half is better if I can last that long but I’m tempted to turn off.

And I love them.

I think it’s brilliant me like. Out of them all I hope it wins. Can’t put my finger on what but it reminds me of something. Maybe like the way I wanted QOTSA to turn out post Rated R and Songs for the deaf.

1 or 2 duffers.
That's @Mickdundee listening to Violent Femmes today

Off to see Sebadoh tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it - I've liked Dinosaur Jr for years, and enjoyed Sebadoh, Folk Implosion, Dumb Numbers and even some of Lou's solo stuff, but I find it thoroughly depressing for him/them that he's posted some absolutely terrible crowd figures the past couple of days - somewhere like Cleveland, he said it was a big venue and they'd only sold 90 tickets, then I think DC he said there were "literally hundreds" of tickets left. To have a career as long as that and to have been in bands that have been a major influence on other bands and genres - to put out a new album and play to 90 people must suck the life out of you

Edit - I see that he already has! :lol: Sorry MD

Last edited:

And I love them.

1 or 2 duffers.
Got black midi tkts ages ago on a kid at works recommendation before listening to em. Some of their stuffs great and other bits awful. There seems to be a bit of hype behind them which always gets my “emperors new clothes detector” up n running. Squid sent it off the scale twice in one weekend a few weeks back.

Got black midi tkts ages ago on a kid at works recommendation before listening to em. Some of their stuffs great and other bits awful. There seems to be a bit of hype behind them which always gets my “emperors new clothes detector” up n running. Squid sent it off the scale twice in one weekend a few weeks back.
I’ve never heard anyone mention them tbh. Shame they don’t have a tour on.

Back