New Music Releases Thread

Decemberists, Mount Eerie and Yo La Tengo are my obvious three. Will give Dean Ween a listen but my favourite Ween album is The Lollusk so I'd like a move away from rock, ideally.
I'm regularly bollocked by our lass for singing I'm dancing in the show tonight, loud as fook :lol:

few new releases I've hammered recently

Jisatsu No Otosan - self titled tremendous lofi hiphop beats album
Ajani Jones - Cocoons EP lots of lounge and soul samples on here, really enjoyable listen.
Phonte - no news is good news similar to Ajani Jones to be fair, getting a lot of hype.
Apathy - the widows son bit gangster for my tastes but some good tunes
Calvin Valentine - plus seats first beat tape on mello music, really well produced.
CRIMEAPPPLE & big Ghost - Augardiente only just went through my first listen this morning but seems a cracker.

This new Decemberists is an absolute turd. Virtually every song is sonically offensive. Theres a foot stomper with a bloody kids chorus that sound like the glitter band, some massively irrating numbers that belong in a panto, and this touted 'new sound' seems to be trying to emulate the music of richard marx.

The new titus andronicus is shit anarl. Second track sounds like billy ray cyrus.

Last edited:
So, a quick summary of the new stuff I've listened to that was (or in one case wasn't released this week):

The Decemberists - has its good moments, has its okay moments, as much as anything doesn't gel as an album. By far the best thing on it is 'Rusalka, Rusalka / The Wild Rushes', which sounds like it could have come from any of their albums before The King Is Dead.
Yo La Tengo - as ever, really very good. They're up there with the bands I can only really rate against themselves. Lovely!
Creep Show - enjoyable but I like John Grant's voice so would prefer more of it in its natural form.
Dungen & Woods - more of a mini-album than a full on album. It's interesting without being anywhere near as good as the best of both bands individually.
Dean Ween Group - Dean Ween continues to follow his rock end of Zappa path. I prefer this to 'The Deaner Album' but would prefer to have Ween back (that seems unlikely after 11 years without an album).
Mount Eerie - beautiful but not a happy listen. Sort of gets more optimistic from the first to last song though.
Kacy & Clayton - the not new album as it came out in January. Listened to on the strength of a 9/10 review in Uncut. Enjoyable, folky rock. Produced by Jeff Tweedy. Seemingly their first electric album. Kacy has a lovely voice!

This week's releases are a mixed bunch: Bonny Doon, Cavern of Anti-Matter, Erika Wennerstrom (singer from Heartless Bastards), George Ezra, Guided By Voices, Jack White, Lissie, Mark Pritchard, Rick Parfitt (posthumous release), Sunflower Bean, The Messthetics (two of Fugazi in their line up), The Sword, Toni Braxton, Preoccupations, You Are Wolf, The Ballad Of Shirley Collins (compilation), The Ex, BCUC, Baloji, The Rheingans Sisters, Sidi Toure, Melissa Laveaux, Alasdair Roberts Amble Skuse & David McGuinness and Ernie Hawks & the Soul Investigators.

Actually, there's a fair bit there with potential, particularly electronica, worldy stuff and folk.

This week's releases are a mixed bunch: Bonny Doon, Cavern of Anti-Matter, Erika Wennerstrom (singer from Heartless Bastards), George Ezra, Guided By Voices, Jack White, Lissie, Mark Pritchard, Rick Parfitt (posthumous release), Sunflower Bean, The Messthetics (two of Fugazi in their line up), The Sword, Toni Braxton, Preoccupations, You Are Wolf, The Ballad Of Shirley Collins (compilation), The Ex, BCUC, Baloji, The Rheingans Sisters, Sidi Toure, Melissa Laveaux, Alasdair Roberts Amble Skuse & David McGuinness and Ernie Hawks & the Soul Investigators.

Actually, there's a fair bit there with potential, particularly electronica, worldy stuff and folk.
Preoccupations and Sunflower Bean for me sunshine

New Courtney Marie Andrews out today too. Not listened to any new studio albums but the new LA Guns live album is very good.

Back