New Music Releases Thread

Super excited for the Dean Ween Group!

I’ll probably check out STP (but not sure about listening to their stuff without Scott Weiland, especially since the new singer was on X Factor) and Mount Eerie.

Last edited:

Super excited for the Dean Ween Group!

I’ll probably check out STP (but not sure about listening to their stuff without Scott Weiland, especially since the new singer was on X Factor) and Mount Eerie.

Decemberists, Mount Eerie and Yo La Tengo are my obvious three. Will give Dean Ween a listen but my favourite Ween album is The Lollusk so I'd like a move away from rock, ideally.

Decemberists, Mount Eerie and Yo La Tengo are my obvious three. Will give Dean Ween a listen but my favourite Ween album is The Lollusk so I'd like a move away from rock, ideally.
I’ve never been able to get into the Decemberists. They should be right up my street (even down to Tucker Martine being their producer of choice) but they just don’t click with me.

Last edited:
Got a meeting tomorrow morning for most of the morning so I'm doing the new releases for Friday posy now, capiche?!

We have things arriving from Bill Frisell, Bishop Nehru, Dungen & Woods (together), Earthless, Hot Snakes, JB Dunckel (half of Air), Meshell Ndegeocello (spell that with your shoes off), Mount Eerie, Oak Ridge Boys, Scott McCreery, Snoop Dogg, Sorority Noise, Stone Temple Pilots, The Dean Ween Group, The Decemberists, The Magic Gang, Yo La Tengo, Creep Show, Darling West.

As an aside, the new Uncut arrived today. Cracking cover CD. Two fo the hlighlights are by Kacy & Clayton (Jeff Tweedy produced loveliness, out a while back) and Mind Over Mirrors (out in 3 weeks, utter, utter genre bending genius!).
Decemberists for me. Looking forward to that. I'm expecting something a little different from them this time around, and got tickets for the tour yesterday. Nothing much else on the list does it for me - there's a couple I've not heard of so might check those out

It’s a brilliant album, but weirdly never seen them live

The newer stuff is weak imho

One of my best gigs ever. Cambridge City FC supporters club. They were storming and the three old fellas who came in, sat down with their carrier bags, had a pint and left as some sort of protest were almost as good as a support act (to be fair, The Unicorns were a cracking support also). Seen them three or four times since but that was the best.

One of my best gigs ever. Cambridge City FC supporters club. They were storming and the three old fellas who came in, sat down with their carrier bags, had a pint and left as some sort of protest were almost as good as a support act (to be fair, The Unicorns were a cracking support also). Seen them three or four times since but that was the best.
Vaguely considering coming to see Thee Oh Sees in Cambridge, what’s the venue like?

The Crane Wife is their masterpiece. Great live also...
Saw them a couple of years after that - the Always the Bridesmaid tour (so when Valerie Plame was out). Just Googled and it was 2008. They were fantastic - mainly Crane Wife and Picaresque stuff with some oldies thrown in. Had tickets a couple of tours later - they did a thing called The Long and the Short of It, where they were playing 2 nights in each place, playing their long songs one night and short songs the other. They canceled the day of and I've not seen them since. Very much looking forward to seeing them again.

The Junction is very good. I find myself objecting to some of the prices though - 40 quid for The Flaming Lips, who're basically a cabaret band nowadays.
The Junction is still open? Saw Kingmaker there back in the early/mid 90s :lol: Think I saw someone else there, too, but can't think who it was.

Interesting interview/article about the new album, new producer, the process, and the new sound

The Decemberists Make the Album of Their Lives With I'll Be Your Girl

Last edited:
Not on @Arkle list, but I’m very much looking forward to the creep show album tomorrow.
It’s a collaboration between Stephen Mallinder ( Cabaret Voltaire/ wrangler ) and John Grant.
Two tracks from in on Spotify are great. Very electro funk with great vocals.

Not on @Arkle list, but I’m very much looking forward to the creep show album tomorrow.
It’s a collaboration between Stephen Mallinder ( Cabaret Voltaire/ wrangler ) and John Grant.
Two tracks from in on Spotify are great. Very electro funk with great vocals.

It is there, second to last item ;) Looking forward to it TBH. The one track I've heard is very good.

Back