New Music Releases Thread

I've not listened to any new releases for 2 weeks, a combination of work being super stressful and bingeing on Dropkick Murphys and The Living End who I'm going to see in a few weeks.

What have I missed? I think I'll get Justin Townes Earl on the go over the weekend but not sure what else.

I've not listened to any new releases for 2 weeks, a combination of work being super stressful and bingeing on Dropkick Murphys and The Living End who I'm going to see in a few weeks.

What have I missed? I think I'll get Justin Townes Earl on the go over the weekend but not sure what else.

See my potted review of last week on the previous page. I reckon you'll like Daniel Romano and Endless Boogie (the latter assuming you like riffs and aren't averse to Beefheartian vocals). Maybe Aldous Harding as well, she's at the folkier end of the American domain (and also a Kiwi so Kiwicana?). You may like The Mountain Goats also.

So, Daniel Romano:

Endless Boogie:

Aldous Harding:

I'm seeing HMLTD tonight at 12.30. What am I to expect @chunkylover53?

f***ing hell. I've seen hundreds of bands but i've never been as enthralled as at this. Absolutely stunning performance! If these lads are playing anywhere near you then go and see them now, don't bother with listening to their few tracks on Spotify, they are mesmerising, never enjoyed a gig like that before.

f***ing hell. I've seen hundreds of bands but i've never been as enthralled as at this. Absolutely stunning performance! If these lads are playing anywhere near you then go and see them now, don't bother with listening to their few tracks on Spotify, they are mesmerising, never enjoyed a gig like that before.
:lol: sorry mate just seen this

They're fun live and a bit mental. I'm not sure the songs are that great tho

See my potted review of last week on the previous page. I reckon you'll like Daniel Romano and Endless Boogie (the latter assuming you like riffs and aren't averse to Beefheartian vocals). Maybe Aldous Harding as well, she's at the folkier end of the American domain (and also a Kiwi so Kiwicana?). You may like The Mountain Goats also.

So, Daniel Romano:

Endless Boogie:

Aldous Harding:

I love that Endless Boogie track, but Apple Music still only has it as a pre-order album with only 2 songs available so I'll keep an eye out for it coming in full. Bizarrely it's also the only album of theirs on Apple Music when Wiki says they've released a few.

I've downloaded Mountain Goats, Daniel Romano and JTE for the start of the week. Might grab Jane Weaver too if time allows.

I love that Endless Boogie track, but Apple Music still only has it as a pre-order album with only 2 songs available so I'll keep an eye out for it coming in full. Bizarrely it's also the only album of theirs on Apple Music when Wiki says they've released a few.

I've downloaded Mountain Goats, Daniel Romano and JTE for the start of the week. Might grab Jane Weaver too if time allows.

Slightly surprised that's all that Apple Music have from Endless Boogie. I'd have thought Long Island, at least, would be on there also.

Of new stuff out

Land of Talk is good, but not at as good as earlier stuff
Aldous Harding is very good but will get bored soon enough
Mountain Goats is truly magificent
Mt Wolf is surprisingly very very very enjoyable
Sandy (Alex G) is very good
Wavves is crap
Do Make Say Think sounds like Do Make Say Think, which isn't a bad thing. But I struggle to love it as it's just their previous records again
Mulatu Astatke is, on one listen I admit, an absolute gem of a record

Lacking in detail sorry

I'm enjoying Justin Townes Earl a lot on first listen. It's very old fashioned sounding, whilst also sounding cool as Hell!

I'm enjoying Justin Townes Earl a lot on first listen. It's very old fashioned sounding, whilst also sounding cool as Hell!

Again, on first listen, I thought it was quite good but not a patch on most of his dad's stuff.

The Charlatans - pretty good. I quite like their later sound.
The Unthanks - the songs and poems of Nick Drake's mam. Interesting, not sure how often I'll listen long term.
Jim Jones - good. A bit Nick Cave, a bit Tom Waites, a bit Afghan Whigs.

In preparation for Field Day, this week I have mostly been listening to Aphex Twin and Arab Strap.

Also via Mount Eerie, have also discovered Thanksgiving, they are excellent!

Marbled Eye EP is canny, reminds me a bit of Parquet Courts

Last edited:
More 'pre-cog' (the ability to predict the future) from Mark E Smith on the forthcoming new Fall album. According to i tunes track listing there's a song call "Victoria Train Station Massacre". Although they will probably have to change it come release date

Back