New managers having to use our coaching staff

It's not that strange, they're coaches not head coaches. Dodds has been praised by the players for his input when Mowbray was here, Southampton at home springs to mind.
Can anyone recall a coach not being praised by players working under him, ever?
You mean being aware of the requirements in advance and accepting a deal? No mate, that's just how things generally work.

The club are doing something different. When you have a plan, you don't just throw it in the bin necessarily if things aren't working immediately.

There are pros as well as cons. As others have mentioned, there are teams like Hull throwing daft money at it and they're still not going to qualify for the playoffs. A number of clubs in the Championship are going to have problems in the coming years. What's happened to Wigan, Reading etc. will happen to several other clubs no doubt.
There’s probably been 30-35 clubs in the championship in the last 5 years, but we can only name 2 who have been in bother. So it’s not that common.

Last edited:
Can anyone recall a coach not being praised by players working under him, ever?

There’s probably been 30-35 clubs in the championship in the last 5 years, but we can only name 2 who have been in bother. So it’s not that common.
One of the coaches being praised for their game plan rather than the Head Coach doesn't happen that often.

I definitely know Alex Ferguson did, given he was signed for a record fee and was a capped international!
In response to the poster the point I was trying to get across was that Managers/Head Coaches who haven't played at a professional level are the exception rather than the rule.

Russell Anderson played a few in that league as well
Not sure how that’s relevant considering:
1) Russell Anderson also has plenty experience of playing professional football, even if he was shit for us
2) Russell Anderson isn’t one of the greatest managers in PL history

So you can’t recall any?
I don't recall Tony Loughlan being praised by the players under Roy Keane, I don't recall Paul Bracewell being praised for game plans while here. I don't recall any of Jack Ross's staff being praised in public for their game plans either.

Not sure how that’s relevant considering:
1) Russell Anderson also has plenty experience of playing professional football, even if he was shit for us
2) Russell Anderson isn’t one of the greatest managers in PL history

Harsh to say he was shit for us. He played 27 minutes against Wigan in the PL and then ruptured his ligaments in his only other game for us v Luton in the League Cup. Granted Heskey gave him the run around at Wigan and he gave a clumsy penalty away but he'd only just been subbed on and was just settling in. Seem to remember Aberdeen fans saying they thought he'd play at the top level for some time when we spent nigh on £1M for him.

Back