New managers having to use our coaching staff

So long as the new fella can bring in his assistant and have a say on future recruitment that sounds reasonable.

If the new fella comes in and decides the existing coaches are not performing they need to manage them.

no one had an issue with Mowbray's coaching staff (including Dodds and Proctor) when things were going well.

It's an absolute myth that we don't allow the head coach to bring in his own assistant that seems to have stemmed from Beale coming alone.

Mowbray had Venus, Neil had Canning, Johnson had McAllister.

no one had an issue with Mowbray's coaching staff (including Dodds and Proctor) when things were going well.

It's an absolute myth that we don't allow the head coach to bring in his own assistant that seems to have stemmed from Beale coming alone.

Mowbray had Venus, Neil had Canning, Johnson had McAllister.
I think the issue here is Dodds will need to be demoted back to coach should a new manager want his own.

Hopefully we don't try and force it otherwise we'll struggle to get anyone with experience in.

What do you mean by "yes man" in the context of a football manager?
Coming in, accepting that he has to work with the current coaching staff, under strict transfer constraints which at the minute look like they guarantee nothing but failure with a group of kids getting bullied week in week out

Coming in, accepting that he has to work with the current coaching staff, under strict transfer constraints which at the minute look like they guarantee nothing but failure with a group of kids getting bullied week in week out
How's that being a yes man though?

The average tenure of a Championship manager is less than 13 months and getting shorter by the season.

Do you have any idea how much it costs to pay off an entire backroom staff? Those days are gone.

That said, I don't disagree at all that a manager should at least be allowed to bring in an Assistant and the odd coach, but allowing anyone to bring an entire backroom staff is not going to happen and rightly so.

I think the issue here is Dodds will need to be demoted back to coach should a new manager want his own.

Hopefully we don't try and force it otherwise we'll struggle to get anyone with experience in.
I get the impression dodds wouldn’t be massively against going back to his previous. He enjoys working with the players, just more in the background

I suspect we won’t know the value of Dodds and Proctor until they leave and if and when new coaches are brought in.

If Dodds and Proctor are good coaches they will be able to implement whatever style of play or tactics a new head coach wants.

Its only like going to a new club and having to fit in with the philosophy of whichever manager they would work under.

Speakman said Dodds was promoted to Assistant Head Coach as part of his development. Now - if someone wants to bring in their own assistant - do we have 2 Assistant Head Coaches? Or is Speakman protecting his own position?

Dodds and Proctor were here last season under Mowbray when we played some great stuff. I would think whoever comes in will bring an assistant (Speakman has confirmed this) like Mowbray had with Venus.

I just wonder whether Dodds will be happy reverting to a comparatively minor coaching role. He might think a change is better for his career.

Hasn’t Dodds hinted he may need to drop down a level to gain experience to progress as a manager?
I have always said Sunderland is a tough gig even for an experienced manager. It needs the right sort too.

Speakman said Dodds was promoted to Assistant Head Coach as part of his development. Now - if someone wants to bring in their own assistant - do we have 2 Assistant Head Coaches? Or is Speakman protecting his own position?
Speakman will easily find a way of spinning it. Most likely will say it was Dodd’s preference to go back to a normal coaching role

Not sure where this dodds being a good coach comes from. People seem to want to put all the good performances under mowbray down to him but dont mention some of the shit results under mowbray. Dodds is probably a mate of the players who will naturally big him up but ffs where this super coach comes from is beyond me. Does a coach not have to be tactically aware, his managerial record suggests hes not.

By saying 'yes' to the pathetic terms demanded of him
You mean being aware of the requirements in advance and accepting a deal? No mate, that's just how things generally work.

The club are doing something different. When you have a plan, you don't just throw it in the bin necessarily if things aren't working immediately.

There are pros as well as cons. As others have mentioned, there are teams like Hull throwing daft money at it and they're still not going to qualify for the playoffs. A number of clubs in the Championship are going to have problems in the coming years. What's happened to Wigan, Reading etc. will happen to several other clubs no doubt.

You mean being aware of the requirements in advance and accepting a deal? No mate, that's just how things generally work.

The club are doing something different. When you have a plan, you don't just throw it in the bin necessarily if things aren't working immediately.

There are pros as well as cons. As others have mentioned, there are teams like Hull throwing daft money at it and they're still not going to qualify for the playoffs. A number of clubs in the Championship are going to have problems in the coming years. What's happened to Wigan, Reading etc. will happen to several other clubs no doubt.
We won't agree on this so no point going over it again and again. Not sure what Wigan and Reading have got to do with anything mind. No ones asking them to throw daft money about, but a little bit more of an ambitious approach to transfers and managerial appointments is needed

Back