New doctor who

Status
Not open for further replies.

This. This and this.

Every episode has wasted time with lovey dovey stuff, background stories and sub Eastenders soap opera crap that didn't add anything to the story.

I'd rather see a shorter episode than 10 minutes of boring shite.

The new series is also prone to nicking a few ideas from other shows. I'm sure the BBC have been lucky not to have been sued.

The limited pool of writers they use is also a problem, poor stories from the same people time and again hasn't helped. The new show could do with new writers that aren't writing generic shite like Gatiss.

Not sure it'll work with a woman but it's a box ticked for the BBC.
To be fair, nicking other people's stories and hoying The Doctor into them to shake things up has been pretty much the foundation of the show since it started.

As for the limited pool of writers, I kind of agree, mainly in the sense that the poorly written episodes really jump out when there's only 13 episodes to a series. Honourable mention to Toby Whithouse for being particularly shit.

Gattis is a reasonably solid writer in the sense that he can hold a story together. He's stories generally aren't bad in terms of how they're put together, but you'd be hard pressed to call any of them 'good' either. He tends to more concerned with capturing the particular aesthetic of an era - which he usually does quite well - this however tends to be done at the expense of providing anything in the way of substance.

Old Who: Genesis of the Daleks, as has been said by many already. Absolute classic
New Who: The Empty Child, along with most others written by Moffat before he became show runner.
There's a few Moffat episodes since he became showrunner that I didn't particularly care for on first watch at the time, but on a rewatch, even with my least favourite ones, I can usually at the very least appreciate the general idea, the structuring and pacing of his stories which is phenomenal. Even when they're being crap they certainly don't drag.

Last edited:
Definitely blink, just a great tv episode of any tv programme.

The empty child was class too. Think there was someone on here's who's older child was freaking out the younger kid by standing outside the bedroom door and going "are you my my mummy" :lol:

That frightened me tbh

Carey Mulligan was brilliant in Blink, superb episode

The empty child was class too. Think there was someone on here's who's older child was freaking out the younger kid by standing outside the bedroom door and going "are you my my mummy" :lol:
That sounds like Becs's lads. I'll have to show my kids that, they will be terrified!

Blink was a great episode as was the empty child.

From the classic series I'd got for Inferno, Mind Robber, Genesis of the Daleks, City of Death. I'm even going to say Paradise Towers because Briers was totally mad in it.

Favorite line has to be "chap with the wings....five rounds rapid".

I liked Coleman but I don't know if that was just me thinking everything else is shit, at least she is really fit! I didn't like the way they had her as a part-time assistant. She held down a job, relationship etc but met up with the Doctor for occasional away days with him almost hanging around like a love sick teenager saying "Please talk to me".

In the old days, the assistant would pretty much say 'sod it, lets go' and jump on board the TARDIS for a few years. Initially that is what Rose did, but very soon we got the family back home thing that has dominated. So much screen time for her mum and Mickey. Donna had her family cropping up a lot, Amy had Rory and then Rory's dad then as I said Clara with her job and boyfriend. The only one who has not been dragged down too much with baggage has been Martha. She has probably been the best character since the reboot, much stronger than the others.

It is a science fiction show, not a soap opera. People watch to see the pair of them take on the daleks, not travelling around time and space with the ability to go anywhere, do anything but spending the time worrying about an unpaid gas bill. 45 minutes to tell a good scifi/action story and we get 20 minutes of "but my mum is worried". I hate the whining moping Doctor after one leaves too. Tegan "I'm home again doctor, I want to stay". "Ok fine, we move on". Sarah Jane, "Sorry you can't come, I'll drop you off pet" (in the wrong place), then moves on. None of this sitting about sad for apparently years because Amy Pond has gone.
Got to say Martha was my favourite assistant of the new drs. The episode where Tennant met her and gave her his tie yet he was lying in a hospital bed at the time, then the hospital went to the moon was one of the best episode for me. Infact Tennant got the best scripts of any of the new Dr's, those weeping angels were actually pretty scary. Much better villains than Pepper pot daleks or cybermen.
I agree about the family baggage they've gave the likes of Billie Piper, Rose. Her mother was extremely annoying and her boyfriend was so wet he was walking water. They should have left him as a plastic wheelie bin, a bin could act better as well.

There was one lass who could have been a very good assistant but she was only in one xmas special. Can't think of her name but she was a thief who was on the bus that ended up on the desolate planet. They really should have given her a series or two and she had no mother or boyfriend baggage to clog the show with. Nice to look at as well.

Last edited:
There was one lass who could have been a very good assistant but she was only in one xmas special. Can't think of her name but she was a thief who was on the bus that ended up on the desolate planet. They really should have given her a series or two and she had no mother or boyfriend baggage to clog the show with. Nice to look at as well.
Good shout that.

I would quite like to see an assistant that isn't from modern Britain. Someone from our past could be good given the amount of stories that are based on contemporary Earth.

Good shout that.

I would quite like to see an assistant that isn't from modern Britain. Someone from our past could be good given the amount of stories that are based on contemporary Earth.
Wasn't the first Clara from victorian times? She wss killed off fairly quickly though before he got her back as a modern day Clara.

Clara was an annoying geebag

Aye. Gob on a stick who knew nothing and miraculously pulled the solution out of her arse every week.

Best modern companion has been Matt Lucas, by a mile. And I hate Matt Lucas. A companion who actually learned to do stuff, rather than expecting to breeze through the universe with a smartarse comment and a bolshie attitude.

Aye. Gob on a stick who knew nothing and miraculously pulled the solution out of her arse every week.

Best modern companion has been Matt Lucas, by a mile. And I hate Matt Lucas. A companion who actually learned to do stuff, rather than expecting to breeze through the universe with a smartarse comment and a bolshie attitude.

yeah he was good alright, I did like bill too. Think it works best when he has two companions.

The companion is just a conduit for the questions the audience would ask about all the complicated space stuff, just so the Doctor wouldn't be talking to himself like a mentalist all the time.

Clara got on my tits like, buckable as she was.

Bill looked like Predator but she was canny crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back