New Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

On the topic of meeting up for a drink it would be nice to put faces to all of the cricket posters on here. Why not pick a Durham game and all meet up for a drink one day this season?

On the topic of meeting up for a drink it would be nice to put faces to all of the cricket posters on here. Why not pick a Durham game and all meet up for a drink one day this season?

We're in virtually after every game :lol:

I can categorically state that Mattie Potts was not, I repeat not poached by Washington cricket club, he saw Washington as a progressive, friendly club who are well run and are able to offer an environment in which he is able to thrive and hopefully develop his talent further, it of course nice to see that he is considered to be one of the north east's top young talents, however there is a long road to future success and many pitfalls await for the unwary

Alright Mattie:lol::lol:

I can categorically state that Mattie Potts was not, I repeat not poached by Washington cricket club, he saw Washington as a progressive, friendly club who are well run and are able to offer an environment in which he is able to thrive and hopefully develop his talent further, it of course nice to see that he is considered to be one of the north east's top young talents, however there is a long road to future success and many pitfalls await for the unwary

Sounds like it's lifted from the leaflet that Washington hand out to all the best players on other teams when they play them.

:lol:

anymore Washington club members going to join?

Aye, me. Sort of. At least when I pay my subs for this year.

Anyway, why wouldn't any ambitious young cricketer want to play for Washington? After all, they've won just about everything at youth & junior level for the passed two years.

Aye, me. Sort of. At least when I pay my subs for this year.

Anyway, why wouldn't any ambitious young cricketer want to play for Washington? After all, they've won just about everything at youth & junior level for the passed two years.

They've had a decent time of it but so have many clubs. They have hardly dominated across the board. For example this lad is 15 I believe - last year in the Coast League Washington's u15s weren't even in the top 3.

That's not to say that haven't got some good junior players and they haven't won some junior leagues recently; it's just to add some perspective and sanity to proceedings.

They've had a decent time of it but so have many clubs. They have hardly dominated across the board. For example this lad is 15 I believe - last year in the Coast League Washington's u15s weren't even in the top 3.

That's not to say that haven't got some good junior players and they haven't won some junior leagues recently; it's just to add some perspective and sanity to proceedings.

Sanity!? Give ower man! I support SAFC, DCCC & England football & cricket teams.

Sounds like it's lifted from the leaflet that Washington hand out to all the best players on other teams when they play them.

Or not.

Like it has been posted, James has been at Washington since he was 8 years old and has progressed through the ranks, He's now a county player, when he's told he can return to his 'club' for games, he plays for Washington.

Daz Hickey joined as our pro 2 years ago, His family moved into the area and he loves it here. His son, Adam is also now a county player does exactly the same as James. His youngest son, Liam, is going the same way.

Pottsy will become a cracking player and will probably become a key part of our first team IF he doesn't make it at county level (Which after seeing him, i firmly believe he'll make it anyway.)

Washington CC have never poached a young player from another club, the door is always open for new juniors to join, but never forced or bribed. If you actually took time out to get to know the actual setup we have from Chairman to the last under 11 player we have, your opinion would be very different from the petty digs you seem to make on a regular basis about the club.

Why don't you pop on the forum and ask him any questions you might have, we also have Chris Rushworth writing for us too.

Or not.

Like it has been posted, James has been at Washington since he was 8 years old and has progressed through the ranks, He's now a county player, when he's told he can return to his 'club' for games, he plays for Washington.

Daz Hickey joined as our pro 2 years ago, His family moved into the area and he loves it here. His son, Adam is also now a county player does exactly the same as James. His youngest son, Liam, is going the same way.

Pottsy will become a cracking player and will probably become a key part of our first team IF he doesn't make it at county level (Which after seeing him, i firmly believe he'll make it anyway.)

Washington CC have never poached a young player from another club, the door is always open for new juniors to join, but never forced or bribed. If you actually took time out to get to know the actual setup we have from Chairman to the last under 11 player we have, your opinion would be very different from the petty digs you seem to make on a regular basis about the club.

Climb off your high horse and stop being so defensive. If you'd read the whole thread you'd know that my last comment was tongue in cheek and I've pretty much been saying that "poaching" goes on all over and is never a clear cut issue. I very much doubt that any young kid just "decides" to move to another club so far from the one he's at; but if he was sounded out or "worked on" by WCC then so what? It's up to the management of any particular club to decide how they want to run it. I also don't think anyone ever mentioned a player being "forced or bribed"; so that's a massive exaggeration.

I'm sure the majority of people on this board can think of much more interesting things to discuss than WCC; but the fact that every Washington member with an internet connection is seemingly intent on joining the board to engage in some mutual back-slapping makes it quite difficult for us to avoid.

Why don't you pop on the forum and ask him any questions you might have, we also have Chris Rushworth writing for us too.

It seems a good forum mate and I hope it goes from strength to strength. There aren't enough good sources of info for local cricket.

if they have been at washington all the time, why are they rejoining washington? :roll:

Climb off your high horse and stop being so defensive. If you'd read the whole thread you'd know that my last comment was tongue in cheek and I've pretty much been saying that "poaching" goes on all over and is never a clear cut issue. I very much doubt that any young kid just "decides" to move to another club so far from the one he's at; but if he was sounded out or "worked on" by WCC then so what? It's up to the management of any particular club to decide how they want to run it. I also don't think anyone ever mentioned a player being "forced or bribed"; so that's a massive exaggeration.

I'm sure the majority of people on this board can think of much more interesting things to discuss than WCC; but the fact that every Washington member with an internet connection is seemingly intent on joining the board to engage in some mutual back-slapping makes it quite difficult for us to avoid.
This. I doubt that this will be the last good youth product poached by WCC. I have no doubt that there will be more where this came from.

However if other clubs are daft enough to stand by and let them then bigger fool them. I'd do the same if I was WCC.

It seems a good forum mate and I hope it goes from strength to strength. There aren't enough good sources of info for local cricket.

:lol::lol: Rich coming from you.

You look for bites all the time man, everyone knows you do.

What do you mean by, 'mutual back slapping' by the way? Can you explain..

Last edited:
I'm sick of all the talk about my club on forums. There will never be a sensible discussion when people have anonymity. It infuriates me when members of the club talk about us under an alias and I find it hard to give any other post any credibility without their name to it. I rarely post now because of it. I can't be bothered with any further discussion but I just want to put this one to bed.

I'm Dan Talbot and I was part of he 1st ever junior team at Washington CC and I captained the 1st XI for the past two seasons. During this time Washington CC did not poach 1 junior cricketer. Adam Hickey joined when his father took on our pro job and his whole family moved to the area.

As a club we have invested heavily in our juniors and facilities. We have enjoyed some success through this hard work at junior level, however not so much at 1st team level. For the club and our juniors to progress then we have to improve at 1st team level. This is why we have worked hard so we can attract players like Ash Thorpe and Paul Hindmarch. For us though, the hard work is only just starting. We need to improve so we can compete in NEPL this coming season. All this talk from people on these forums do nothing but put pressure on the 1st XI, and potentially set us up for a fall. Especially comments from some of our members. Our committee and players don't want to talk about it on forums, we just want to carry on what we're doing. There are far more interesting things to discuss than Washy CC.

Hopefully this is the end of the thread and any talk about Washington before the season starts.

I'm sick of all the talk about my club on forums. There will never be a sensible discussion when people have anonymity. It infuriates me when members of the club talk about us under an alias and I find it hard to give any other post any credibility without their name to it. I rarely post now because of it. I can't be bothered with any further discussion but I just want to put this one to bed.

I'm Dan Talbot and I was part of he 1st ever junior team at Washington CC and I captained the 1st XI for the past two seasons. During this time Washington CC did not poach 1 junior cricketer. Adam Hickey joined when his father took on our pro job and his whole family moved to the area.

As a club we have invested heavily in our juniors and facilities. We have enjoyed some success through this hard work at junior level, however not so much at 1st team level. For the club and our juniors to progress then we have to improve at 1st team level. This is why we have worked hard so we can attract players like Ash Thorpe and Paul Hindmarch. For us though, the hard work is only just starting. We need to improve so we can compete in NEPL this coming season. All this talk from people on these forums do nothing but put pressure on the 1st XI, and potentially set us up for a fall. Especially comments from some of our members. Our committee and players don't want to talk about it on forums, we just want to carry on what we're doing. There are far more interesting things to discuss than Washy CC.

Hopefully this is the end of the thread and any talk about Washington before the season starts.
Other than that youre quite happy? ;)

Plenty of jealousy about isnt there and there are plenty of people who don't like to see others doing well particularly when a club has come from nothing

Plenty of jealousy about isnt there and there are plenty of people who don't like to see others doing well particularly when a club has come from nothing
That has absolutely nothing to do with it. A question was raised as to how Washington had managed to get a hold of two of the regions brightest talents in the same close season.

The question obviously is that "does Washington CC have a deliberate plan of poaching other clubs young talent and is this something that other clubs should watch for".

People at Washington have become very defensive, which is their right, but it does not change the situation. People will now watch with interest too see if anymore of the regions best youth talent makes their way to Rickleton.

That has absolutely nothing to do with it. A question was raised as to how Washington had managed to get a hold of two of the regions brightest talents in the same close season.

The question obviously is that "does Washington CC have a deliberate plan of poaching other clubs young talent and is this something that other clubs should watch for".

People at Washington have become very defensive, which is their right, but it does not change the situation. People will now watch with interest too see if anymore of the regions best youth talent makes their way to Rickleton.

Or maybe you should ask the question why are youngsters preferring to join Washington rather than stay or join other established clubs. The fact is Washington have a great youth policy that promote to the 1st team so you looking from a far are just speculating without any evidence at all.

Already sick of reading about Washington and the season hasn't started yet.

I don't play for any team, have no affilliation to any local team etc before anyone asks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back