New Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

"The main reason however was the clubs spirit. For those that don't know us, Washington CC is a small community club with big ideas on progression. Not only as a club but developing their own junior talent through the club ranks and onto bigger and better things with Durham CCC and hopefully beyond. We are extremely proud to have 2 players representing the club within the Durham Academy ranks in Adam Hickey and James Thompson".

Interesting comment. do we know if both of these lads were WCC products? I only ask because WCC are well known for not being shy about taking junior players from other clubs, when some NEPL clubs baulk at such an idea.

Clearly though, and the point has been made on here recently, a few times, it'll be interesting to watch WCC develop as they have lofty ambitions.

"The main reason however was the clubs spirit. For those that don't know us, Washington CC is a small community club with big ideas on progression. Not only as a club but developing their own junior talent through the club ranks and onto bigger and better things with Durham CCC and hopefully beyond. We are extremely proud to have 2 players representing the club within the Durham Academy ranks in Adam Hickey and James Thompson".

Interesting comment. do we know if both of these lads were WCC products? I only ask because WCC are well known for not being shy about taking junior players from other clubs, when some NEPL clubs baulk at such an idea.

Clearly though, and the point has been made on here recently, a few times, it'll be interesting to watch WCC develop as they have lofty ambitions.

Any firm evidence of this??? Seems an unusually aggressive comment to make unless you have.

There is a massive difference in a Club pro-actively going out to 'take' other clubs Juniors, than Juniors/Parents seeing a well-run, Junior-focused, community-based Club who invest in their youth and then asking to join because they believe its a better option for thier son/daughter.

Viewing from a distance, Washington seem to have developed a very good reputation for identifying, welcoming, and then coaching Juniors from a very young age, and that seems to be a decent 'blue-print' to follow.

Its neither rocket-science nor a secret that having those sorts of values and beliefs will help you create a good Junior base, which in the long-term will benefit the Club.

I too find the Colonels comment strange re Washington and the juniors, I can only speak as I see and on the outside Washingtons junior setup appears to be really well run.
On the other side of the coin I can recall several juniors being lured to Chester Le Street over the past ten years with the promise of "riches".

As far as I'm aware James Thompson is a product of WCC's junior set up; but Adam Hickey is not.

Any firm evidence of this??? Seems an unusually aggressive comment to make unless you have.

There is a massive difference in a Club pro-actively going out to 'take' other clubs Juniors, than Juniors/Parents seeing a well-run, Junior-focused, community-based Club who invest in their youth and then asking to join because they believe its a better option for thier son/daughter.

Viewing from a distance, Washington seem to have developed a very good reputation for identifying, welcoming, and then coaching Juniors from a very young age, and that seems to be a decent 'blue-print' to follow.

Its neither rocket-science nor a secret that having those sorts of values and beliefs will help you create a good Junior base, which in the long-term will benefit the Club.

I don't think you're ever going to get firm evidence either way with something like this; but I will say that his is not an unusual view or one that is unique to him. Whether or not it's a rare case of there being smoke without fire, I don't know.

What is undisputable though is that Washington are not blind to their advantageous position (probably the biggest catchment area of any team in the north east), and work hard to capitalise on it. Being in that position and having the fore-thought and enthusiasm to capitalise on it are two very different things, so they deserve credit for the work they do.

The problem for them has been translating that into success on the pitch at first XI level (having never really been in the running to win the Coast League); and I think that is why they are starting to now depart from their "homegrown" model and are bringing in outside players for money. u13 medals are only really useful if they turn into first team wins 5-10 years later. Theirs is one of the most interesting sub-plots in the whole NEPL2 story and it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

As an aside - is their any chance we can get a sub-board for Old Timer to post his daily Washington CC news in?!?!

As far as I'm aware James Thompson is a product of WCC's junior set up; but Adam Hickey is not.

I don't think you're ever going to get firm evidence either way with something like this; but I will say that his is not an unusual view or one that is unique to him. Whether or not it's a rare case of there being smoke without fire, I don't know.

What is undisputable though is that Washington are not blind to their advantageous position (probably the biggest catchment area of any team in the north east), and work hard to capitalise on it. Being in that position and having the fore-thought and enthusiasm to capitalise on it are two very different things, so they deserve credit for the work they do.

The problem for them has been translating that into success on the pitch at first XI level (having never really been in the running to win the Coast League); and I think that is why they are starting to now depart from their "homegrown" model and are bringing in outside players for money. u13 medals are only really useful if they turn into first team wins 5-10 years later. Theirs is one of the most interesting sub-plots in the whole NEPL2 story and it'll be interesting to see how it all pans out.

As an aside - is their any chance we can get a sub-board for Old Timer to post his daily Washington CC news in?!?!
My comment stems from something someone said to me the other day when I mentioned the situation with Matty Potts from Phili who recently went to Washington. i asked a lad why other clubs hadnt been in for him and the reply I got was that in the main the top clubs dont do that.

Now I have to say that I do not know whether Matty approached WCC or it was the other way around.

Also interesting re Hickey not being a Washington product either. Isnt this the lad who played for Durham 2nd team last year? (could be getting mixed up here but I'm sure that there was a Hickey played for them last year - very young he was too - 16 or so).

My comment stems from something someone said to me the other day when I mentioned the situation with Matty Potts from Phili who recently went to Washington. i asked a lad why other clubs hadnt been in for him and the reply I got was that in the main the top clubs dont do that.

Now I have to say that I do not know whether Matty approached WCC or it was the other way around.

Also interesting re Hickey not being a Washington product either. Isnt this the lad who played for Durham 2nd team last year? (could be getting mixed up here but I'm sure that there was a Hickey played for them last year - very young he was too - 16 or so).

He's a good player and was at the Academy last year; so would imagine that it was him that played for the 2s.

The question about poaching players, both senior and junior, is an age old one and in 99% of the cases it's not clear cut. I doubt trial by message board is going to flush it out either so it's probably not the place to discuss it.

He's a good player and was at the Academy last year; so would imagine that it was him that played for the 2s.

The question about poaching players, both senior and junior, is an age old one and in 99% of the cases it's not clear cut. I doubt trial by message board is going to flush it out either so it's probably not the place to discuss it.

Often down to envy. But wouldnt like to say that in this case, as I dont know the Club well enough. Regardless, its great to see a local Club really trying to progress, and also apparantly investing so much in the young players.

Its the future you know....

Edited by YOU, and not by me.

Clearly touched a nerve with you, perhaps you were rejected by Washington in a former life!?!
Never played cricket at any particular level in my life. Grew up in Scotland.

Clear though that if Washington's tactic is to move through the ranks by poaching all of the best kids then that wont go down well.

I'm not surprised by this tactic though. I said a year ago to various people that the advent of NEPL 2 would see a huge increase in interest by some clubs in the best junior players as they try to make headway in the brave new cricketing world.

I'd do it myself TBH if I was a cricket club in the NE because some of the clubs are clearly clueless/naive about whats going on. Give it a year or two and Washington will undoubtedly be in NEPL 1 and will have all the best youth talent. It'll catch quite a lot of clubs on the hop.

Never played cricket at any particular level in my life. Grew up in Scotland.

Clear though that if Washington's tactic is to move through the ranks by poaching all of the best kids then that wont go down well.
I'm not surprised by this tactic though. I said a year ago to various people that the advent of NEPL 2 would see a huge increase in interest by some clubs in the best junior players as they try to make headway in the brave new cricketing world.

I'd do it myself TBH if I was a cricket club in the NE because some of the clubs are clearly clueless/naive about whats going on. Give it a year or two and Washington will undoubtedly be in NEPL 1 and will have all the best youth talent. It'll catch quite a lot of clubs on the hop.

My suggestion of "rejection" was a joke - clearly a poor one! :oops:

However, even though I am purely a distant observer without any specific insight into cricket, I just think the views being expressed here are extremely harsh on the apparantly hard-working and youth-orientated people who are clearly trying to support the Juniors of a local Club.

To suggest that Washington have employed a "tactic" to poach other Club's Juniors when quoting only one example that you accept might have been the player wanting to join the Club rather than anything else, just seems poor in the extreme.

ANY Club wanting to invest in young children wanting to play Sport in general should be encouraged - its not as if other Clubs arent allowed to do the same.

However, even though I am purely a distant observer without any specific insight into cricket, I just think the views being expressed here are extremely harsh on the apparantly hard-working and youth-orientated people who are clearly trying to support the Juniors of a local Club.

To suggest that Washington have employed a "tactic" to poach other Club's Juniors when quoting only one example that you accept might have been the player wanting to join the Club rather than anything else, just seems poor in the extreme.

ANY Club wanting to invest in young children wanting to play Sport in general should be encouraged - its not as if other Clubs arent allowed to do the same.

My intent was to pour cold water on the whole debate but I have to say that one look at your posting history exposes you as a bullshitter. Your posts on the cricket forum going back months are all pro-Washington, talk aboput Washington players (both junior and senior) with familiarity and make it pretty clear that you are involved there.

Which begs the question - if (as is obvious) you are WCC affilliated; then why would you claim not to be in order to try and defend them against what the Colonel has alleged? It doesn't look good.

And also - other clubs do do the same. They in fact have to work a lot harder as they aren't in the "can't lose" situation of having such a massive catchment area.

Last edited:

Its not one example though is it. Its 2 examples of two of the brightest prospects at NE junior cricket - Potts and Hickey - in the close season that you are elected to the NEPL. It suggests to me now that your club is in the NEPL that it intends to follow this up as a legitimate tactic. As I say I dont blame Washington though. I'd do the same because most of the teams will stand and let you. I dont think they see whats going on.

As I said earlier I knew this would happen. Cricket in Durham/Ne is getting extremely competitive now that the NEPL/DCL is here and some clubs will want to move ahead quicker than others.

There is a very difficult season ahead, both on and off the field, for what has generally been regarded as one of the NE's top cricket clubs, CLS, and my reckoning is that clubs like Washington will in a short space of time be a threat to some previously high performing clubs.

I think Washington have seen a way to move their club forward and are taking it. I think it will prove to be a master stroke for your club in the medium term.

Last edited:
My intent was to pour cold water on the whole debate but I have to say that one look at your posting history exposes you as a bullshitter. Your posts on the cricket forum going back months are all pro-Washington, talk aboput Washington players (both junior and senior) with familiarity and make it pretty clear that you are involved there.

Which begs the question - if (as is obvious) you are WCC affilliated; then why would you claim not to be in order to try and defend them against what the Colonel has alleged? It doesn't look good.

And also - other clubs do do the same. They in fact have to work a lot harder as they aren't in the "can't lose" situation of having such a massive catchment area.

Bull-shitter - No.
Interested in local sport, in particular Juniors - Yes.
Happy to have debate on this forum - ocassionally.

IMHO this is a clearly thought out policy by Washington. You dont acquire 2 of the best NE junior talents in the same close season, in the season you are promoted to the NEPL by accident.

It'll be interesting to watch this one develop with Washington. There will undoubtedly be more of this to come.

Fair play to them, because its an obvious gap that few other clubs take advantage of IMHO.

Bull-shitter - No.
Interested in local sport, in particular Juniors - Yes.
Happy to have debate on this forum - ocassionally.

Mate every single post you have made on the cricket forum over the past few months has been about Washington and has been pro-Washington. You have not made a single post about any other club and have talked about Washington players as if you know them. To now claim that you are a neutral, distant by-stander is ridiculous.

IMHO this is a clearly thought out policy by Washington. You dont acquire 2 of the best NE junior talents in the same close season, in the season you are promoted to the NEPL by accident.

It'll be interesting to watch this one develop with Washington. There will undoubtedly be more of this to come.

Fair play to them, because its an obvious gap that few other clubs take advantage of IMHO.

This is no different than what any of the other clubs did when the NEPL was formed back in 2000, indeed CLS were most "aggressive" back then in the pursuit of local young talent, as they have been ever since. To single out one club for what is a wide spread practice in the NEPL is naive at best.

Every club in the NEPL, div 1 or 2 would like to be in a position to offer local youngsters the best environment possible to nurture their talents, some have the means and drive, some haven't.

Hickey has been on the Durham Academy books for a few year now.
He represented Durham 2nd XI last season as well hitting just below 40 runs.

Obviously a good talent, good luck to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back