Neighbour wants to build extension

This is what is proposed.
The only thing I want to contest is the fact that they want to replace a section of the boundary fence with brick, I’m not prepared to let them take it down as it’s actually on my land when I’ve had a look at it, the posts and boards are on my land and their land starts at the face of it if you get me.

Also the fact that it’s going to be impossible for them to build as I’ve got a shed up against it,
Plus what security will be in place whilst they build it? I’ve got dogs that roam my garden to do their business.
It won’t be impossible to build at all with your shed there.They will do it overhand.
If they have planning permission just do whatever it takes to get the job done as quickly and as easily as possibly for everyone’s sake especially yours.

You’re also coming across very bitter and twisted about this billy lad.Don’t let it consume you mate.

If they have PP then it’s a given it’s happening,just make sure it’s as pain free as possible.For gods sake don’t make an enemy of the builders either as they are an innocent party in all this.
sounds like they want to remove the fence to be able to build the extension properly. If you don't let them, they can still build it, but it will look like a pile of shit from your side, cos they wont be able to clean off the brick face or point it properly. Sounds like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face to me. Why not work with them instead of against them?
Because he’s on a mission to try and make it as awkward as possible.
He will but only for himself.

The only thing I want to contest is the fact that they want to replace a section of the boundary fence with brick, I’m not prepared to let them take it down as it’s actually on my land when I’ve had a look at it, the posts and boards are on my land and their land starts at the face of it if you get me.

Also the fact that it’s going to be impossible for them to build as I’ve got a shed up against it,
Plus what security will be in place whilst they build it? I’ve got dogs that roam my garden to do their business.
If it is brick wall vs brick wall & fence immediately in front, is the fence option really that much better? What happens when the fence rots and needs replacing? I bet at that point you will probably just go for the bare wall anyway.

Is it concrete posts where the panels slot in? Because of the dogs, I'd be tempted to say the builders can lift the panels out when they are working but they need to be put back on a night to keep things secure for the dogs and that at the end of if, the fence posts and panels are removed in their skip. You could even consider letting them cut the panels in half or shorter horizontally to make things easier. Depends on what kind of dogs you have.

If you are making that concession but hinting that you could make it awkward then why not use that go gain permission to drill into their wall to add some trellis? It is going to be built anyway so with their permission you could look at a climbing honeysuckle which would essentially give a very bee friendly 'carpet' over one part of the wall and then something thinner like a clematis or passion flour (lovely orange fruit bulbs late summer) for another part. Get something like this going, otherwise you will just have fence and bare brick which will look bland and depressing. But to do that, you will need their permission, so a compromise now could really help that.
Logon or register to see this image

sounds like they want to remove the fence to be able to build the extension properly. If you don't let them, they can still build it, but it will look like a pile of shit from your side, cos they wont be able to clean off the brick face or point it properly. Sounds like you're cutting your nose off to spite your face to me. Why not work with them instead of against them?
They want to remove the fence to be able to replace the fence line, with brickwork.

They’ve never came round and asked our feelings on it, we got a letter the day after we moved in.
They’ve rang our doorbell at midnight trying to be clever ***** etc.
if you read back through the thread, you can clearly see why I wouldn’t be interested in working with them.
It won’t be impossible to build at all with your shed there.They will do it overhand.
If they have planning permission just do whatever it takes to get the job done as quickly and as easily as possibly for everyone’s sake especially yours.

You’re also coming across very bitter and twisted about this billy lad.Don’t let it consume you mate.

If they have PP then it’s a given it’s happening,just make sure it’s as pain free as possible.For gods sake don’t make an enemy of the builders either as they are an innocent party in all this.

Because he’s on a mission to try and make it as awkward as possible.
He will but only for himself.
I’m bitter about it because of the way they’ve went on about the whole situation.

If they’d of come and spoken to us like normal humans, instead of just serving us a letter.
And also not rang our doorbell at midnight and tried to be clever *****, we’d of discussed it with them and come to some compromise.

But fuck them.

Last edited:
The council have said it’s a civil issue regarding the party issues/boundary issues and the applicant must seek legal advice.
Whether they do or not is another matter.
I had a feeling that this might happen - plans are one set of regulations, which may not include who owns the land, and the rights of way etc. Solicitor I suppose is your next move.

They’re planning on replacing part of the fence with brickwork , so the brickwork will essentially be the new divide.
Ah, a new football goal and cricket stumps? Cool.

Honestly I’m laughing at this point. :lol: Watch Alex Neil stick 3 past us tomorrow
Wrong again, bitch!
Fucks sake :lol:

They want to remove the fence to be able to replace the fence line, with brickwork.

They’ve never came round and asked our feelings on it, we got a letter the day after we moved in.
They’ve rang our doorbell at midnight trying to be clever ***** etc.
if you read back through the thread, you can clearly see why I wouldn’t be interested in working with them.

I’m bitter about it because of the way they’ve went on about the whole situation.

If they’d of come and spoken to us like normal humans, instead of just serving us a letter.
And also not rang our doorbell at midnight and tried to be clever *****, we’d of discussed it with them and come to some compromise.

But fuck them.
They must be thick as fck trying to antagonise you, you hold all the cards here and they'd be wise to play nice. With a wall of their house on the boundary, you could make their life a living hell. Remember that footy game 'SPOT'? I'd be playing that every fcking evening on their wall. :lol:

My elderly father in law has a peach of a boundary dispute at his house, I might regale you with that when I have more time, if you're interested. I feel for you mate, I really hope you get satisfaction. I know how these things can affect your quality of life.

This is what happened with my cousin, she did everything possible to be awkward to her neighbour who she didnt get along with, in the end their side looks great, her side, which they obviously cant see looks like a bag of shite, even the brickies tried to get her to let them into her garden to do it right and she would not have it..

This is what happened with my cousin, she did everything possible to be awkward to her neighbour who she didnt get along with, in the end their side looks great, her side, which they obviously cant see looks like a bag of shite, even the brickies tried to get her to let them into her garden to do it right and she would not have it..
Op won't give a fuck when it's all hidden with trees, they will though.

Morning all, after some advice if possible.

Basically we moved into our new home on Saturday and received a letter through the door yesterday from the council that the house behind ours wants to build a wrap around single storey extension.

It backs onto our fence and then they will have to take down part of the fence to build the brickwork (looking at the plans, the foundations will also have to come onto our land)

We bought the property because we loved the garden and the sun it gets, on the letter it says a case officer has been assigned but we only have until the 2nd of February to object, and a decision will be made by the 9th.

Basically what’s me chances of getting it knocked back? It looks fuckin ludicrous on the plans, they’re essentially building the same footprint of the house again, but wrapping around the plot.
Did your searches not bring it up? Go to your conveyancer and ask for their advice, given it’s so close to the sale they should give u that for nowt, they should have been talking to you about it anyway. Then simply tell the council you plan to object, buys a bit more time, but proper fucks up your relationship with your neighbour. While all this is happening move.

Did your searches not bring it up? Go to your conveyancer and ask for their advice, given it’s so close to the sale they should give u that for nowt, they should have been talking to you about it anyway. Then simply tell the council you plan to object, buys a bit more time, but proper fucks up your relationship with your neighbour. While all this is happening move.
It’s been approved.

Also if this is not their "forever home" and they have a dispute with neighbours it would have to be disclosed to any potential future buyers (which could put them off)

not if there isnt an official record of it ;)
If you object to planning permission (the OP has done so) then it’s a dispute officially. Ditto with the party wall dispute.

While I have a lot of sympathy for the OP (whose neighbours have been anything but neighbourly) he has not listened to any advice on here as to how to get the best possible outcome for himself. He thought he knew better and so even though he is the injured party here (so to speak) it’s a waste of time continuing to offer support and advice.

The builders will build overhand and leave a mess on his side, which they won’t clean up. His dogs are no concern of his neighbours.

If you object to planning permission (the OP has done so) then it’s a dispute officially. Ditto with the party wall dispute.

While I have a lot of sympathy for the OP (whose neighbours have been anything but neighbourly) he has not listened to any advice on here as to how to get the best possible outcome for himself. He thought he knew better and so even though he is the injured party here (so to speak) it’s a waste of time continuing to offer support and advice.

The builders will build overhand and leave a mess on his side, which they won’t clean up. His dogs are no concern of his neighbours.

A tough but honest appraisal

Are you not better off just saying aye build a brick wall but i want it to cover that entire leg of the boundary, then you can get shot of that entire section of fence and not have to worry about painting it every couple of years / replacing it when it inevitably rots and falls to bits.

Back