Neighbour wants to build extension

Morning all, after some advice if possible.

Basically we moved into our new home on Saturday and received a letter through the door yesterday from the council that the house behind ours wants to build a wrap around single storey extension.

It backs onto our fence and then they will have to take down part of the fence to build the brickwork (looking at the plans, the foundations will also have to come onto our land)

We bought the property because we loved the garden and the sun it gets, on the letter it says a case officer has been assigned but we only have until the 2nd of February to object, and a decision will be made by the 9th.

Basically what’s me chances of getting it knocked back? It looks fuckin ludicrous on the plans, they’re essentially building the same footprint of the house again, but wrapping around the plot.

Morning all, after some advice if possible.

Basically we moved into our new home on Saturday and received a letter through the door yesterday from the council that the house behind ours wants to build a wrap around single storey extension.

It backs onto our fence and then they will have to take down part of the fence to build the brickwork (looking at the plans, the foundations will also have to come onto our land)

We bought the property because we loved the garden and the sun it gets, on the letter it says a case officer has been assigned but we only have until the 2nd of February to object, and a decision will be made by the 9th.

Basically what’s me chances of getting it knocked back? It looks fuckin ludicrous on the plans, they’re essentially building the same footprint of the house again, but wrapping around the plot.

What’s the dates on the planning application? Did the seller of your house know about this before they sold? Anything brought in up the searches?

What’s the dates on the planning application? Did the seller of your house know about this before they sold? Anything brought in up the searches?
First we found out was yesterday afternoon. We only completed on the 13th.

The date on the plans we’ve seen is December 22.
And said neighbours informed 02/01/23 despite us only receiving a letter yesterday.

Surely our sellers knew? I’m pissed off tbh

Seek guidance from a solicitor, but not the one you used to buy the property.
This 100%. Having recently used a solicitor to great personal benefit I can totally recommend them. Yes you might have to spend a few quid but it will be worth it in my experience.

Bizarre that it shows it coming on to your land.. no way should they be encroaching and it should 100% knocked back. Can't understand how an architect would even submit that.

Is a single story extension going to affect sun on your garden?

I thought the seller would have needed to declare that ?
In post #5 the neighbour claims to have told them on 2/1/23. If that exchange wasn't filmed then to me the burden of proof lies with the neighbour. If I had been the neighbour I would have got the communication 'receipted'.

Property solicitor here - if you are correct that the neighbour is seeking to extend onto your land then that is all the grounds required to object to the permission.

Our neighbour made a ridiculous planning application about 6 months ago, we objected and it was rejected. End result is they are extending to the other side so as not to effect us.

The issue you have is that if you do nothing you are in the hands of the planning department of the Council. I don’t know what their processes are but there’s no guarantee that the Council will look at land ownership when considering the application.

Happy to share our letter of objection if you like. You can pick out the key bits but will need to tailor it to suit etc (key bits being - right of light, not being able to enjoy your garden etc).

Also, worth considering who owns the fence. If it’s yours they probably just can’t take it down without your consent.

Might be worth engaging a solicitor, although it will cost you a grand or so I would think.

I’m no legal eagle, but if the plans really do have their foundations on your property then I’m assuming you have no worries. They can’t build on your land.

The fence coming down might come down to who owns it, but either way, I guess you don’t have to grant them permission to access your property to carry out the work.

I’m also a bit dubious about if they’ll be allowed to build right up to the perimeter.

Edit: Now it just looks like I’ve copied the lad (or lass) who knows what he’s (or she’s) talking about in the post before mine.

Last edited:
Will it impact any other neighbours with loss of light, privacy etc? If so, make sure they throw their objections in too.

Back