National league to be void?

Are people forgetting we can still be promoted. Do people hate Liverpool more than they love us?
True. Bailey Wright will be back and Duncan Watmore will have had another sort of full pre-season assuming he doesn't get covid-19

All jokes aside though, what can the authorities realistically do? You can't just end the season now because (in the big leagues) that will lead to all sorts of legal challenges and compensation claims. You either void the season or finish it and amend the next season to compensate

If we/they can get back out on the field by 1st July (for example) then league competition could be played Sat-Wed-Sat-Wed. With 10-12 games to go in most leagues you could have the season done by 1st week of August, then hold a "super weekend" mid-August to finish off cups and play offs. Break for rest of August and Sept, re-start league in October with 2 months of sat-wed-sat to get the schedule more or less back on track

ALternatively, if you can't get back on the field this year you have to just void the season and start agai

They should hang fire. Just finish the season when everything returns to normal.

I dont think you can if this drags on another couple of months. Next season has to start on time or as near to on time as possible with the euros next summer and the world cup the year after that. You need to have a summer transfer window amd a break aswell. You can't play 10 games to finish this season if it means destroying the football calendar for the 2 seasons that follow.

I dont think you can if this drags on another couple of months. Next season has to start on time or as near to on time as possible with the euros next summer and the world cup the year after that. You need to have a summer transfer window amd a break aswell. You can't play 10 games to finish this season if it means destroying the football calendar for the 2 seasons that follow.
This season should be the priority, just my opinion. If that means we have to reschedule/juggle the dates for the next 2 seasons then so be it.

If we'd only played a few games of this season then I'd agree with you however there has been 3/4s of the season played and should be finished.

This season should be the priority, just my opinion. If that means we have to reschedule/juggle the dates for the next 2 seasons then so be it.

If we'd only played a few games of this season then I'd agree with you however there has been 3/4s of the season played and should be finished.

EFL clubs wont survive doing that. They need next season to start asap so they have a regular income stream. Waiting for Prem teams probably wouldnt be a problem but telling Oldham and Macclesfield to play there 10 games left, then juggle around the next 2 seasons with large gaps in the schedule would push them over the edge. Not to mention teams lower down the ladder who are already not paying their players or staff because they have no fixtures.

EFL clubs wont survive doing that. They need next season to start asap so they have a regular income stream. Waiting for Prem teams probably wouldnt be a problem but telling Oldham and Macclesfield to play there 10 games left, then juggle around the next 2 seasons with large gaps in the schedule would push them over the edge. Not to mention teams lower down the ladder who are already not paying their players or staff because they have no fixtures.
Why would there be large gaps?

The season shouldn’t be voided IMO. They should cancel the League Cup, FA Vase, FA Trophy, EFL trophy and other tinpot competitions to avoid a ludicrous backlog of fixtures for the following season, which hopefully means the season ends in May again next year, then normality resumes for the 2021/22 season.

@Ponteland Mackem what is your take on this?
Interesting that they’ve jumped so quickly, and gutted that no more football will be played this season, the same will be said for the football league.
Ultimately I think bias is always going to play a part in people’s opinion of what should be decided depending on your league position, but I think it’d be very unfair on South Shields (being 12 points clear) and others in the same boat for the call to be to null and void and start from scratch. I’m sure everyone would feel the same and Brady’s comments were interesting as West Ham hover perilously close to the drop zone. Anything other than Shields being promoted would be a nightmare and if that is decided it will have to be decided across all leagues which could bring with it even more controversy (more teams in a division possibly). Couldn’t see the season finishing as I think we are going to be without football until at least the summer but naturally hope they rule we go up.
Sounds like we're just on the verge of a test for Coronavirus being widely available. Surely that will open up the possibility for behind closed doors games?
Solves nothing, behind closed doors games. Clubs far too reliant on match day income particularly in lower leagues

Last edited:

Back