Moving in together

I asked my missus to go on holiday fairly early on. You learn a lot about people when you’re away, especially in the sun. Worked out well and I’d say I know from that point that we’d likely work out

Did you go with her or did she go on her own?

More seriously, that's quite a sensible thing. You spend time under the same roof but there's an end to it if it doesn't work so well. Additionally, if you're all inclusive, the Pom Bears, Wagon Wheels, Frubes yoghurts and Fruit Shoots are on tap.

More seriously, that's quite a sensible thing. You spend time under the same roof but there's an end to it if it doesn't work so well. Additionally, if you're all inclusive, the Pom Bears, Wagon Wheels, Frubes yoghurts and Fruit Shoots are on tap.
I went too. In the past I’ve been away and wished I hadn’t

Is "packed lunch" a euphemism? If not, I'd expect the lads in question should be able to make some sandwiches and get some Pom Bears and a Wagon Wheel out of the cupboard each day.
Would you expect the lads to shop for their own pom bears and wagon wheels or should the girlfriends be doing that.

Would you expect the lads to shop for their own pom bears and wagon wheels or should the girlfriends be doing that.

50:50. Both will be eating the Wagon Wheels and Pom Bears so both should be shopping for them. A joint trip to the supermarket can enhance a relationship. Obviously, if you're going to Aldi or Lidl, you'll probably have to buy Wogan Circles and Perm Boars instead.

50:50. Both will be eating the Wagon Wheels and Pom Bears so both should be shopping for them. A joint trip to the supermarket can enhance a relationship. Obviously, if you're going to Aldi or Lidl, you'll probably have to buy Wogan Circles and Perm Boars instead.
I don't think 50:50 on the wagon wheels would work for me. Mebbes 75:25

Just curious as to what the SMB thinks of this.

I moved in with my wife around 10 weeks after starting to see each other. I have mates who lived with their parents til getting a house together and split up after a few months… some of these were 5 year relationships.

I suppose my question is, can you really know someone before living with them? And is it worth doing before embarking on something as serious as a mortgage together?

You definitely need to live together for a bit before making any big commitments.

I suppose if both parties live with parents it's more difficult to do that.

I already owned my own house when mine moved in (after about 6 months of seeing each other) so the whole mortgage commitment thing was never am issue.

You definitely need to live together for a bit before making any big commitments.

I suppose if both parties live with parents it's more difficult to do that.

I already owned my own house when mine moved in (after about 6 months of seeing each other) so the whole mortgage commitment thing was never am issue.
Why? I met my now wife and got married within 14 months. We didn’t live together until the first day of our marriage. Neither of us were living with parents when we met, both of us held down jobs. Still living together 28 years later.

Me and the wife have been together 19 years, married 3, lived together 5. Sort of lived between parents before then and tried to live a bit before getting a mortgage etc.

Are Wagon Wheels the huge ones you used to get in the `70`s or the tichy, pathetic ones you get now??

Are Wagon Wheels the huge ones you used to get in the `70`s or the tichy, pathetic ones you get now??
Is this not just our minds playing tricks. Remember, when we were kids everything seemed bigger. Our hands were smaller for one. Maybe it’s a matter of perspective? Six inches back then was a lot bigger than six inches now.

I reckon this depends on age too. Me & owa lass lived at each other’s Mam’s & Dads for about 18 months before getting a house together. But I was 23 & she’ll have been 20/21. So we didn’t know anything else, almost grew up together. We both knew we wanted the same things in life, got married, had kids, everything’s class.

However, at 37, if we met each other today, things would be very different. We’re proper adults 20 years of accumulation routines, beliefs, possessions, money in the bank.

When we got together we had nowt & it was a blank canvas nearly.

Why? I met my now wife and got married within 14 months. We didn’t live together until the first day of our marriage. Neither of us were living with parents when we met, both of us held down jobs. Still living together 28 years later.

I know folk used to do that years ago, living together is different to just going out. You do run the risk of moving in together & then just getting on each others nerves. I prefer to try before you buy.

Back