Moving in together

Seaham Towny

Striker
Just curious as to what the SMB thinks of this.

I moved in with my wife around 10 weeks after starting to see each other. I have mates who lived with their parents til getting a house together and split up after a few months… some of these were 5 year relationships.

I suppose my question is, can you really know someone before living with them? And is it worth doing before embarking on something as serious as a mortgage together?

I moved in with my wife around 10 weeks after starting to see each other. I have mates who lived with their parents til getting a house together and split up after a few months… some of these were 5 year relationships.

I suppose my question is, can you really know someone before living with them? And is it worth doing before embarking on something as serious as a mortgage together?

Yes. Was going out with my lass for two years before we moved in. We stayed over at each other’s often enough to have a fair idea of each other.

As far as the second question goes, @MackneyHackem may have some thoughts.

Similar time for me. I imagine whether or not it works heavily depends on the person’s lifestyle.

Living with their parents while they’re an adult then moving in with a lass is always going to be difficult, especially if the lass isn’t up for making their packed lunch etc.

I've lived with a couple of blokes over the years, thankfully never married them as it didn't work out.
If I got into a relationship now I'd probably insist on separate places until I was certain things would work.
If I met my true soulmate that I could see me wanting to spend my life with I'd be open to that, I'd just want to take it easy is all.

Similar time for me. I imagine whether or not it works heavily depends on the person’s lifestyle.

Living with their parents while they’re an adult then moving in with a lass is always going to be difficult, especially if the lass isn’t up for making their packed lunch etc.

My missus has never had to make me a packed lunch so to speak.

The lads I mention in the OP were in the main tradies, they take a packed lunch. Their lass wouldn’t make one. Is this a factor? Do we live in such a stereotypical universe that makes it so?

Get to know you're partner before living together.
Live together before settling down.

Pretty much this.

Don't move in together straight away though. Recipe for disaster. Give it at least 6-12 months. Maybe even longer depending on how serious / casual yous are.

Also don't end up being co-dependant when moving in together, probably the worst thing you can do.

Live with them before committing.

you’ll both find out everything you hate about each other, get through that you’re grand 👍

Given my personal experience I think this is the best option but have we been so indoctrinated towards home ownership that we see the ‘live with parents til you buy a house’ scenario play out too many times that the OP is inevitable?

The lads I mention in the OP were in the main tradies, they take a packed lunch. Their lass wouldn’t make one. Is this a factor? Do we live in such a stereotypical universe that makes it so?

I just know lads who lived with their parents a long time then struggle because they expect their lass to take over the mam duties.

I'd been with our lass about 3 years before moving in. She bought the house and I wasn't on the mortgage initially. The first year was great followed by some massive ups and downs. We are solid now but I'd recommend living with someone before getting a mortgage together personally.

Is "packed lunch" a euphemism? If not, I'd expect the lads in question should be able to make some sandwiches and get some Pom Bears and a Wagon Wheel out of the cupboard each day.

Back