Moving back home

Not really mate.
Your environment, and the social and economic and political situation around you seeps in to your subconscious, and you will react to that in your positive or negative outlook.
Also the pace of life. There is a very relaxed attitude down here. Drives some newcomers nuts sometimes.

The Cornish will say "I'll do it dreckly (meaning directly)". What that actually means is, they'll do it when they get round to it 🤣🤣🤣
Stuff just takes longer, but that is just the slower laidback attitude. Problems are more to be ignored, than worried about here. They just get on with it, not moaning or griping. Everything will be ok. Something very nice about that, and it's catching marra. I've caught it anyway. 😁
I’m very aware of peoples struggles in my area, problems of the region, country and further afield but I’ve either become desensitised by the work I’ve done for decades or I’ve become blinkered by where I live.
Having been brought up off Roker Ave , I’ve seen the struggles of that area and it has been a struggle for some. It was “overrun “ by students and now by migration ( many are still students) and that’s not great for the community that actually live and contribute. Our coastal towns have similar issues down here where the heart is left on the A30. These are still struggles , just different ones.

Nice part of the world that marra. Stepson lives in Needingworth nr St. Ives. Lovely place.
Mind you, my ex's sister lived in Peterborough. That was a f***ing shithole.🤣
Agree about Peterborough- it’s proper grim.

Aye, it’s OK round here. Just far too flat. I’ve had a chat with the locals but they’re not prepared to do anything about it. So I’ll be nashing back to Wooler as soon as the youngest has left the nest.

My Mrs (no) would love to sell up here and move to the NE Coast.
She never believed how beautiful Northumberland was until she visited.
Would be tempted but the one major draw back I would miss the footy.

Where is home?

The football is a killer for me like. Was doing home and aways for years but that all stopped around covid and I’ve not had the urge to continue week on week. It’s still the main reason I go back home and the main reason I’d move back probably.

It’s ok where I am now and a tremendous place for bringing up kids but I don’t think I’ve ever truly settled anywhere, and I’ve been gone a long time. I’ve always seen Sunderland as home, I still say I’m going home every time I head up there :lol:

The football is a killer for me like. Was doing home and aways for years but that all stopped around covid and I’ve not had the urge to continue week on week. It’s still the main reason I go back home and the main reason I’d move back probably.

It’s ok where I am now and a tremendous place for bringing up kids but I don’t think I’ve ever truly settled anywhere, and I’ve been gone a long time. I’ve always seen Sunderland as home, I still say I’m going home every time I head up there :lol:
Me too and judging by some of the posts so do a lot of other people. Even the title of the thread was moving back HOME even tho I have lived here longer than there.

Home was Peterlee till 20, then college in Coventry, work in London and Huddersfield for 16 years.
Job came up in Berwick and we moved up 30 years ago.
So, far from first home but still north east, round trip of about 120 miles for home matches.
Fabulous place to bring kids up, no crime, lovely people, fantastic scenery as well.
Wouldn't move back to East Durham but as we get older, a changing Sunderland is definitely becoming a more attractive proposition.
Less travel to see the lads too, of course!

Not really mate.
Your environment, and the social and economic and political situation around you seeps in to your subconscious, and you will react to that in your positive or negative outlook.
Also the pace of life. There is a very relaxed attitude down here. Drives some newcomers nuts sometimes.

The Cornish will say "I'll do it dreckly (meaning directly)". What that actually means is, they'll do it when they get round to it 🤣🤣🤣
Stuff just takes longer, but that is just the slower laidback attitude. Problems are more to be ignored, than worried about here. They just get on with it, not moaning or griping. Everything will be ok. Something very nice about that, and it's catching marra. I've caught it anyway. 😁

This is very true.

I lived in Abu Dhabi for 11 years and while we were there we basically had more money, in a safe place to live, surrounded by people in a very similar situation, so it was a very "nice" life to live. Even if it was a bit of a bubble, it was a nice bubble to be in.

The problem for me came when we moved back home and were subjected to things you don't really face in a place like Abu Dhabi. Like the constant, hum-drum beat of negativity from the press, radio stations, news roundups, adverts. It's like people don't know any different and accept spreading mostly negative news is normal, when it really isn't.

I'm very aware when negativity is being pushed on me now, to the point where I openly reject it, even if some people might think it's rude or careless.

I just don't have the bandwidth or mental strength to hear everyone's negative news, all of the time.

This is very true.

I lived in Abu Dhabi for 11 years and while we were there we basically had more money, in a safe place to live, surrounded by people in a very similar situation, so it was a very "nice" life to live. Even if it was a bit of a bubble, it was a nice bubble to be in.

The problem for me came when we moved back home and were subjected to things you don't really face in a place like Abu Dhabi. Like the constant, hum-drum beat of negativity from the press, radio stations, news roundups, adverts. It's like people don't know any different and accept spreading mostly negative news is normal, when it really isn't.

I'm very aware when negativity is being pushed on me now, to the point where I openly reject it, even if some people might think it's rude or careless.

I just don't have the bandwidth or mental strength to hear everyone's negative news, all of the time.
Nailed it.

Hence why I love it here.

Nailed it.

Hence why I love it here.

Things I face here daily that I wouldn't have to contend with in Abu Dhabi...

1. Local radio news at 8am, regional news at 6:30, ITV news at 10:30.... Inflation rates, deaths in Ukraine, budget cuts.
2. Conversations with family. Updates on the whole estates ill health and distant relations, friends cousin death at 40. No idea who they are, but apparently I still need to know.
3. ITV adverts - grim. People struggling. Cancer. Famine, etc.

Sharing bad news solely because it exists isn't normal but people here are programmed to accept it, without question. I can't get my head round how normal people think it is.

You may or may not be interested, but this came up as a reminder as something I'd shared 3 years ago. It's the ruler of Abu Dhabi's public message on Covid-19. While Boris was calling COBRA meetings and putting the shits up everyone with daily briefings and death updates, this was the UAE's public message to its residents -

Things I face here daily that I wouldn't have to contend with in Abu Dhabi...

1. Local radio news at 8am, regional news at 6:30, ITV news at 10:30.... Inflation rates, deaths in Ukraine, budget cuts.
2. Conversations with family. Updates on the whole estates ill health and distant relations, friends cousin death at 40. No idea who they are, but apparently I still need to know.
3. ITV adverts - grim. People struggling. Cancer. Famine, etc.

Sharing bad news solely because it exists isn't normal but people here are programmed to accept it, without question. I can't get my head round how normal people think it is.

You may or may not be interested, but this came up as a reminder as something I'd shared 3 years ago. It's the ruler of Abu Dhabi's public message on Covid-19. While Boris was calling COBRA meetings and putting the shits up everyone with daily briefings and death updates, this was the UAE's public message to its residents -
The conversation with family is the thing that gets me.
Whenever I call, it is a barage of negativity.
This has closed, that is going downhill, the other is fucked.
It has got me to the point of not bothering.

And then after all that negativity, they ask "When are you coming up to see us?"🤣🤣🤣🤣

The conversation with family is the thing that gets me.
Whenever I call, it is a barage of negativity.
This has closed, that is going downhill, the other is fucked.
It has got me to the point of not bothering.

And then after all that negativity, they ask "When are you coming up to see us?"🤣🤣🤣🤣

The irony we’re on here twisting and being negative isn’t lost on me either! 🤣

Back