Moving back home

My Mrs (no) would love to sell up here and move to the NE Coast.
She never believed how beautiful Northumberland was until she visited.
Would be tempted but the one major draw back I would miss the footy.
Been away 15 year and I've absolutely zero interest in moving back to NE England - wouldn't have the quality of life we have here, once my mam passes away I can see my trips back being less and less frequent

Where is home?

Last edited:

I can't wait to return to Northumberland. I was born in Newcastle and grew up in Sacriston and then Great Lumley, but spent most holidays and several weekends near Wooler in Northumberland. It's the only place I have ever regarded as 'home'. It will be another 11 years or so, if I make it, but that's my goal and everything I do with work is working towards that.

I can't wait to return to Northumberland. I was born in Newcastle and grew up in Sacriston and then Great Lumley, but spent most holidays and several weekends near Wooler in Northumberland. It's the only place I have ever regarded as 'home'. It will be another 11 years or so, if I make it, but that's my goal and everything I do with work is working towards that.
Good luck with that you sound pretty determined. I presume from your username you live in Kent.....nothing gets passed me....I always thought I couldn't live in the South, no further south than York for me otherwise I would feel weird.

Good luck with that you sound pretty determined. I presume from your username you live in Kent.....nothing gets passed me....I always thought I couldn't live in the South, no further south than York for me otherwise I would feel weird.
Cheers marra.
I used to live in Kent for about 7 years, hence the username when I joined here almost 20-odd years ago. I live in East Cambs now.
I moved for work. You soon settle in. Other than the faff on of moving (packing/unpacking boxes of books, changing address with utilities etc) I quite like moving into a new place.
Mind my uncle did tell me off for moving so many times in the 1990s..... "My fecking address book looks like it is written in Braille!!!"

Cheers marra.
I used to live in Kent for about 7 years, hence the username when I joined here almost 20-odd years ago. I live in East Cambs now.
I moved for work. You soon settle in. Other than the faff on of moving (packing/unpacking boxes of books, changing address with utilities etc) I quite like moving into a new place.
Mind my uncle did tell me off for moving so many times in the 1990s..... "My fecking address book looks like it is written in Braille!!!"
Nice part of the world that marra. Stepson lives in Needingworth nr St. Ives. Lovely place.
Mind you, my ex's sister lived in Peterborough. That was a f***ing shithole.🤣
Is it flats now ? Drove past the other week n thats what it seemed matey
Shame. It was a smashing little pub back in the day.

Last edited:
DH9 born and bred but lived in Scarborough for 4 years and Beverley for 9 years before redundancy meant we returned to Tanfield Lea.
We moved close to my parents so they could look after the kids, but after a few years I was looking after my parents.
We are hoping to move to the coast in the next 5 years to Sunderland or Seaham area.

DH9 born and bred but lived in Scarborough for 4 years and Beverley for 9 years before redundancy meant we returned to Tanfield Lea.
We moved close to my parents so they could look after the kids, but after a few years I was looking after my parents.
We are hoping to move to the coast in the next 5 years to Sunderland or Seaham area.
God wonder if there will be loads of oldies moving back to round about there. Area around Seaham will become like a wee retirement village, we will all be wandering around going wonder if that's.......... from the SMB 😁😆😄

My experience of Sunderland was my first 3 weeks of my life and then yearly holidays when we visited relatives. Sunderland was a magic place for me and supporting the team was just natural.

I had been living around England and renting since divorce and tried to get a mortgage at 60 but got rejected. I then read an article in the Daily Mail about the cheapest places to live and Sunderland came up. Suddenly everything made sense. I could use my pension to buy somewhere relatively cheap (70k) and live here. I packed my job in and moved up here. Every day wind rain or shine, I am grateful I made that decision. I walked the beaches every day and became fit after 30 years of deskbound jobs.

11 months in I was diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer. Walking back that day from Sunderland Royal to Roker the sun was shining and I thought I still feel great and fit and so happy I live here. Chemo and operation followed but 3 days after the removal of my Oesophagus I made it down to Roker beach on my own (however getting back up the hill was more difficult). It's been tough over the last 6 months but this is my home. I will never get tired of walking the beaches, the park, the streets.

Sunderland till I die.

My experience of Sunderland was my first 3 weeks of my life and then yearly holidays when we visited relatives. Sunderland was a magic place for me and supporting the team was just natural.

I had been living around England and renting since divorce and tried to get a mortgage at 60 but got rejected. I then read an article in the Daily Mail about the cheapest places to live and Sunderland came up. Suddenly everything made sense. I could use my pension to buy somewhere relatively cheap (70k) and live here. I packed my job in and moved up here. Every day wind rain or shine, I am grateful I made that decision. I walked the beaches every day and became fit after 30 years of deskbound jobs.

11 months in I was diagnosed with Oesophageal cancer. Walking back that day from Sunderland Royal to Roker the sun was shining and I thought I still feel great and fit and so happy I live here. Chemo and operation followed but 3 days after the removal of my Oesophagus I made it down to Roker beach on my own (however getting back up the hill was more difficult). It's been tough over the last 6 months but this is my home. I will never get tired of walking the beaches, the park, the streets.

Sunderland till I die.
Are you in remission now marra?

Back