Moving back home

CPLforever

Midfield
Some of the comments on the Horden thread got me thinking. I have often thought when the time comes I would sell up here and move back home. Although been away for over 30 years still think I would like to retire somewhere in east Durham, back where I belong sort of thing. However can you ever go back? It's not going to be the same is it. Who on here has moved away? Would you move back, have you moved back or never in a million years. Funny enough it was Robson Greene's weekend escapes that made me think I could do it, showing how beautiful our area is.

I think it depends on what You want from it tbh. If I moved away and was thinking of going back I’d at least make sure to spend a couple of weeks at least “back home” to see if it still feels like it. I imagine having friends and family back home would be a big factor also.

Some of the comments on the Horden thread got me thinking. I have often thought when the time comes I would sell up here and move back home. Although been away for over 30 years still think I would like to retire somewhere in east Durham, back where I belong sort of thing. However can you ever go back? It's not going to be the same is it. Who on here has moved away? Would you move back, have you moved back or never in a million years. Funny enough it was Robson Greene's weekend escapes that made me think I could do it, showing how beautiful our area is.

Having lived Inbetween Peterlee and Horden for the past 3 years I can't imagine why anyone would move back here after so long away. Whatever it was when you left, it is a completely different place now.

Had you lived elsewhere then moved back 3 years ago? But some places like Seaham or Hawthorne might be nice, even thinking of moving somewhere nice in Sunderland maybe
From a Seaham resident Hawthorne would be my choice, it’s lovely. Hope I end up living there one day.

Nah.

4 years in Caithness and then around 4.5 years in Tweedmouth followed by East Lothian. Moved back home properly in 2021. The wife spent a similar amount of time in Birmingham then Stourbridge.

Each to their own but having lived away neither of us want to do it again. Main thing for us is that we have both sets of parents within 15 minutes walking distance. I love just being able to nip round for a drink with my old man or if my mam needs a hand with anything I can call round at short notice.

Been away for over 30 years now but always coming back to visit family. Would never move back to where I was brought up (Wingate)
There are some lovely places in the North but also a lot of shitholes. I would come back because I genuinely love the North East, but I would be very choosy about where I lived

I think about it and look at places in Seaham and Hawthorn sometimes, but I wouldn’t move back to the pit village where I grew up, its not the same place as it was 50 years ago.

In practical terms, my eldest and her family are here, not there, and I wouldn't move away from them.

Depends what you are leaving behind marra. If you have always lived here it’s home and you make the best of it, but it won’t feel like home to you and objectively speaking most of the north east is a dump. We can look past it to an extent but you might struggle.

If you want to move back, Just move back to a nice area up here, there’s plenty and will be close enough to where you grew up, but if where you grew up resembles grozny then I wouldn’t bother moving there.

I moved away in 1983 when I was 18. Grew up in south east northumberland between bedlington and ashington. Decided to move back to the north east in 2021 and pitched up in a village in North Yorkshire, having looked at and made offers on a couple of houses in County Durham which we were outbid for. Not exactly moving back home, but back almost to the north east. As people have said above, there's plenty of nice places in the north east, you don't have to live in Horden.

Back