Most unexpectedly good tourist destination you’ve been to?

Heidelberg, stopped off for pints and bait on way to watch sunlun at hoffenheim on podgys bus (what a trip la) , an absolutely beautiful city and I'd love to take owa lass for the Xmas markets one year

And Loch Ness last month was an absolute tranquil haven and the ripples of the water were hypnotic, little bit music, room over looking Loch and a bottle a single malt oooh pure bliss
Loch Ness one of my favourite places visited. We rented a cabin near Foyers, on the other side to the touristy spots. So relaxing just sitting with a beer and looking at the Loch.

it was 14 years ago. I visited the wildlife sanctuary (amazed at the time that every animal seemed to be to be roaming free). I don’t recall an underground river though.
Calauit so legend goes was a land sequestered by Marcos as a hunting reserve for him and his buddies, all animals imported from Africa.
When I was first on palawan 30'ish years ago there was also an island that was used as a leper colony. The underground river is a boat trip along an underground river with lots of bat's.

Lloja, Ecuador. Unexpectedly beautiful and easy to navigate on foot. Quito is lovely too.
Palawan, Phillippines - Stunning natural scenery.
Hirosaki, Japan - Wonderful during Sakura season. Best apples you’ll ever eat.

Not unexpectedly good, but Iguazu Falls on the Brazil/Argentina border are outstanding.
La cataratas de Iguazú are breathtaking. I cried.

Tallinn, Estonia was better than I expected. Not as cheap as you might think as it has become a suburb of Helsinki but the Old Town is lovely with some fantastic bars and with an interesting food scene. Ended up drinking with a Scottish curling team who were in town for a competition.

Just looking forward to starting my travels again. I haven't left the country (unless you count Scotland) since February last year.
Tallin is great
The pie shop in the centre of the main square is tremendous

Seeing as my bucket list is under review after the other thread, where are the places you’ve been that beat all expectations?

I’ll start with Brittany. Stunning coastlines, beautiful historic towns, great food. Definitely a place I’ll be returning to.
Hated Brittany when I went always pisses it down in Summer full of Southern softies too

Back