Most unexpectedly good tourist destination you’ve been to?

Montreal
Cape Town (knew it would be good but it is fantastic)
Vancouver
Canberra, very surprisingly but 3 days was enough
San Sebastian
The Ardeche - stunning.
Belfast.
Vienna
Bangkok, not everyone's cup of tea

Bangkok, not everyone's cup of tea

Bangkok is my favourite city in the world for 2-3 days then you need to get the hell out of there. It's a city where literally anything can happen but you can only cope with the noise, pollution and traffic for so long.

Really looking forward to getting back.

Bangkok is my favourite city in the world for 2-3 days then you need to get the hell out of there. It's a city where literally anything can happen but you can only cope with the noise, pollution and traffic for so long.

Really looking forward to getting back.
You're right, but I think I loved all the things that most people hate.

Nice to head south to a beach after a few days though.

You're right, but I think I loved all the things that most people hate.

Nice to head south to a beach after a few days though.

The first time I ever arrived in Bangkok (2005-ish), I checked into my hotel at around 6pm. Even though I was knackered after the flight I decided to go out for a wander. Only got about 100m before being hit by the heat, humidity, the general chaos of the cit and not having a clue where I was going so I retreated to the hotel bar and had an early night. Now I have been about 10 times, I can arrive and head straight out into the city embracing the madness of everything it can offer.

Couldn't agree more, the people were unbelievably friendly. Quite a few women in the markets in National dress.
People selling bagfuls of baccy on the pavement.
A bunch of wandering musicians turned up at a local bar, hoyed a blanket on the floor, when enough people chucked money on it, they started to play. Accordion, guitar and singer. Not for tourists, we were the only foreigners in there. The people were the most friendly and helpful I've come across in Europe.

Never went to Tirana but went to Shkoder then through to Kosovo via Lake Komani car ferry. I'd never heard of it, but you take (from memory) a 3 hour ferry ride through astounding scenery ( loads of 2500m mountains). Narrow river. Basically like going through a huge never ending fjord.

We loved it. As you said, the people make it. They're proud of the country and want people to visit.

I was in one bar and as soon as I spoke English the lad behind the bar asked where I was working. When I said I was visiting on recommendation of a friend he refused to take money for that round "as a welcome to English friends". So pleased that people were visiting his city for pleasure.

Will have to plan another trip and explore a bit more

Marseille. Was told by a number of people it's well dodgy. Look at the wrong person you'll get stabbed. Gang wars, ultras will kick your head in for being English, drugs and homeless everywhere etc.

Really nice coastline, lovely harbour, good option of bars, people there couldn't have been any more welcoming and friendly. Weather was fantastic. The huge park in the city centre was class and so was the big church on the hill.

I'd happily go back again for a weekend.

The first time I ever arrived in Bangkok (2005-ish), I checked into my hotel at around 6pm. Even though I was knackered after the flight I decided to go out for a wander. Only got about 100m before being hit by the heat, humidity, the general chaos of the cit and not having a clue where I was going so I retreated to the hotel bar and had an early night. Now I have been about 10 times, I can arrive and head straight out into the city embracing the madness of everything it can offer.
First time I arrived, 1999, landed at similar time. On my own, very wary of the reputation, had a hotel meal then headed out for a "normal" bar. Told the tuk tuk driver that. Drove around for half an hour then ended up at the door of a clearly girlie bar. Wasn't happy, but bouncers were big and I wasn't about to argue, so went in. Never a hint of bother, no rip offs, you can imagine the rest 🤣

First time I arrived, 1999, landed at similar time. On my own, very wary of the reputation, had a hotel meal then headed out for a "normal" bar. Told the tuk tuk driver that. Drove around for half an hour then ended up at the door of a clearly girlie bar. Wasn't happy, but bouncers were big and I wasn't about to argue, so went in. Never a hint of bother, no rip offs, you can imagine the rest 🤣

I couldn't possibly comment. What happens in Bangkok stops in Bangkok.

Seeing as my bucket list is under review after the other thread, where are the places you’ve been that beat all expectations?

I’ll start with Brittany. Stunning coastlines, beautiful historic towns, great food. Definitely a place I’ll be returning to.
Agree on Brittany,passed through loads before i had a week there ,better than the better known Normandy for me
Grand canyon exceed all expectations, didn't realise how big it was, been to southside and northside on different trips and its beyond stunning, photos cant do it justice. Do yersel a favour once can travel again to USA
Did you not expect it to be good though ?

Last edited:
Few people saying Budapest - have lived here for years and agree it is mint, but stag dos please fuck off thanks. This summer was great due to a lack of knobheads dressed as Disney princesses pissing up against people's front doors.
Enjoyed Sarajevo but a weekend was probably enough, also a bit mad walking into a bar and finding out they don't serve alcohol, it's not always obvious from outside which places are muslim and which are secular.

Slovenia is beautiful, although people have cottoned on to that a bit, so I offer you the Tatras - anywhere in the mountains on the Polish Slovak border is stunningly beautiful, only Zakopane is really touristy (even then mostly Poles going there), great food, decent prices, and the Poles are my favourite people in Europe.

I offer you the Tatras - anywhere in the mountains on the Polish Slovak border is stunningly beautiful, only Zakopane is really touristy (even then mostly Poles going there), great food, decent prices, and the Poles are my favourite people in Europe.
I got invited to zakopane 20'ish years ago, still haven't been, have to make the effort one day.

Bergen, Norway. Much nicer place than Oslo & is a gateway to the fjords - places such as Flam are absolutely stunning

Another vote for Bergen and Flam.

I'll throw Stavanger into the mix as well.
I got invited to zakopane 20'ish years ago, still haven't been, have to make the effort one day.

Beaten to it with Zakopane as well.

It's absolutely lush.

Last edited:
Rome, went March last year and left a few hours before Italy went into full lockdown so were lucky, prob due to Covid that it was so empty but every corner you turn in Rome there’s a massively old building or a statue to look at, loved the place 👍

And Kuala Lumpur, Beijing, Hanoi, Moscow, and Phnom Penh

Not too keen on KL. Not as organised as Singapore but as manic fun as Bangkok. Someone once told me "Do business in Singapore, keep your family in KL and your mistress in Bangkok"

Phnom Penh is a very strange place. On previous trips I've loved and hated it at the same time. Still, you can get a beer for 50 cents, so what more do you want.

Love Hanoi. It's top of my list to go back to when SE Asia reopens. Via Bangkok of course.

Not too keen on KL. Not as organised as Singapore but as manic fun as Bangkok. Someone once told me "Do business in Singapore, keep your family in KL and your mistress in Bangkok"

Phnom Penh is a very strange place. On previous trips I've loved and hated it at the same time. Still, you can get a beer for 50 cents, so what more do you want.

Love Hanoi. It's top of my list to go back to when SE Asia reopens. Via Bangkok of course.
I was on a UK Govt. Trade mission to KL, pretty much my only experience of the place. Hell of a weekend off though.

Few people saying Budapest - have lived here for years and agree it is mint, but stag dos please fuck off thanks. This summer was great due to a lack of knobheads dressed as Disney princesses pissing up against people's front doors.
Enjoyed Sarajevo but a weekend was probably enough, also a bit mad walking into a bar and finding out they don't serve alcohol, it's not always obvious from outside which places are muslim and which are secular.

Slovenia is beautiful, although people have cottoned on to that a bit, so I offer you the Tatras - anywhere in the mountains on the Polish Slovak border is stunningly beautiful, only Zakopane is really touristy (even then mostly Poles going there), great food, decent prices, and the Poles are my favourite people in Europe.
Poles are class. Friendly as anything and always want to be friends over a drink.

Back