Most unexpectedly good tourist destination you’ve been to?

We often have a family holiday in a place called Calella de Palafrugell, lovely fishing village an hour and a half from Barcelona (or 50 minutes from Girona)

Lovely place for a week and has neighbouring towns closeby called Llafranc & Begur.
Yeah I’ve seen this place it looks excellent
however it’s not that easy to get a package deal
that includes transfers
you realy need to hire a car and that’s not for me

Grand canyon exceed all expectations, didn't realise how big it was, been to southside and northside on different trips and its beyond stunning, photos cant do it justice. Do yersel a favour once can travel again to USA
Seconded. Every other major landmark I've seen has been smaller than I expected. The Grand Canyon is so monumental that a photograph could never do it justice.

Tallinn, Estonia was better than I expected. Not as cheap as you might think as it has become a suburb of Helsinki but the Old Town is lovely with some fantastic bars and with an interesting food scene. Ended up drinking with a Scottish curling team who were in town for a competition.

Just looking forward to starting my travels again. I haven't left the country (unless you count Scotland) since February last year.

Heidelberg, stopped off for pints and bait on way to watch sunlun at hoffenheim on podgys bus (what a trip la) , an absolutely beautiful city and I'd love to take owa lass for the Xmas markets one year

And Loch Ness last month was an absolute tranquil haven and the ripples of the water were hypnotic, little bit music, room over looking Loch and a bottle a single malt oooh pure bliss

Last edited:
Anhui province. I thought it would be o e of those Chinese tourist destinations that Chinese people love but well-travelled people wouldn’t think much of, I was wrong. Stunning scenery, fascinating, beautiful well kept villages, awesome food.

It’s one of my favourite places in China.

Seeing as my bucket list is under review after the other thread, where are the places you’ve been that beat all expectations?

I’ll start with Brittany. Stunning coastlines, beautiful historic towns, great food. Definitely a place I’ll be returning to.

Couldn't agree more.
Love the culture and music too.
Been there many times and hope to go again.

The standing stones at Carnac are truly amazing.
They make Stonehenge seem akin to the foreshortened model Spinal Tap used in their stage show.
I used to get up early, walk among and watch the sun rise over the megaliths, feeling a sort of prehistoric awe (or something)

Beijing. Imagined it was going to be a glass, steel and concrete jungle covered in smog. There are some beautiful areas, and some of the Hutongs (lanes) are ancient with all kinds of weird and wonderful things going on. Same with Chicago, magnificent architecture and great people.

Too many smokers spoil it imo.

Back