Most unexpectedly good tourist destination you’ve been to?

Serious? Actually fancied this a few times but worried it might be cack.
I was with the bairns, but it was a canny afternoon. I got to learn all about pencils while the bairns learnt to draw from the resident artist. It does sound pretty cack, but I had a good couple of hours in there.
The dog wasn’t so happy, and ended up pissing up against the massive pencil in the middle of the Museum mind!

I was with the bairns, but it was a canny afternoon. I got to learn all about pencils while the bairns learnt to draw from the resident artist. It does sound pretty cack, but I had a good couple of hours in there.
The dog wasn’t so happy, and ended up pissing up against the massive pencil in the middle of the Museum mind!
Biggest pencil in the world. How many of us can say we’ve pissed on the biggest pencil in the world? Kudos to your dog

Gdansk - Went purely because flights were cheap from Newcastle and we got a cracking deal on an apartment in the centre. Fell in love with the place and go back when we have a spare weekend.

Lviv - Travelled there from Krakow in-between Xmas and New Year. Quality old fashioned place and feels like you're stepping back in time. Loved it and want to go back.

Seville - My favourite Spanish city, quality old town and a lot to see. Bloody hot in July though.

Porto - Loved the place when I visited and there's so many good day trips on the doorstep, Braga and Guimaraes.

Florence - We went to watch Fiorentina v Spurs, we didn't research Florence at all but we loved the days we spent there. Went back with the Mrs before Xmas a few years ago and it was even better.

Budapest - Went once and didn't think much of it, went back and found areas we never knew about and loved it. Best nightlife in Europe and super cheap.

Orkney - masses of history including stone age, bronze age, Vikings and WWII. Outstanding scenery, lovely people and it's not crowded or touristy at all. Loved it 😎
Bergen, Norway. Much nicer place than Oslo & is a gateway to the fjords - places such as Flam are absolutely stunning

Oslo, Flam, Bergen and Stavanger should have been our summer hols in 2020, then it was cancelled again this year. Booked flights for summer 2022, so fingers crossed we get to go!

Last edited by a moderator:
What lead her to do that? Seems pointless 😉

Georgia
Orkney - masses of history including stone age, bronze age, Vikings and WWII. Outstanding scenery, lovely people and it's not crowded or touristy at all. Loved it 😎

Oslo, Flam, Bergen and Stavanger should have been our summer hols in 2020, then it was cancelled again this year. Booked flights for summer 2022, so fingers crossed we get to go!
Loved Flam, especially the micro brewery there.
Norway overall is a great trip.

Last edited:
Gdansk - Went purely because flights were cheap from Newcastle and we got a cracking deal on an apartment in the centre. Fell in love with the place and go back when we have a spare weekend.

Lviv - Travelled there from Krakow in-between Xmas and New Year. Quality old fashioned place and feels like you're stepping back in time. Loved it and want to go back.

Seville - My favourite Spanish city, quality old town and a lot to see. Bloody hot in July though.

Porto - Loved the place when I visited and there's so many good day trips on the doorstep, Braga and Guimaraes.

Florence - We went to watch Fiorentina v Spurs, we didn't research Florence at all but we loved the days we spent there. Went back with the Mrs before Xmas a few years ago and it was even better.

Budapest - Went once and didn't think much of it, went back and found areas we never knew about and loved it. Best nightlife in Europe and super cheap.

Gdansk has been on my weekend to do list for the a few years but haven't got around to it. Everyone I know who has been has loved it.

Porto is also neat the top of my list. Probably between Gdansk and Porto for my first city break when it becomes possible.

I was a bit underwhelmed by Budapest. Weather was crap and I drank far too much on the first night (easily done in Budapest) which meant I couldn't do much for the rest of the weekend so need to go back and give it another go.

Best discovery in the last few years was Istanbul in December 2019. Had a fantastic time even though it was middle of winter and would love to go back
Malaga- wasn’t expecting much, but what a great place to visit. I discovered it’s one of the oldest continuously inhabited cities in the world- older than Rome.

The good thing about Malaga is that there are loads of cheap flights for the resorts on the Costa del Sol but most British tourists don't go into Malaga City itself so it still retains a Spanish feel and isn't ruined by mass tourism. Same with Alicante - you wouldn't think you were only a few miles from Benidorm.

Spain really has some fantastic towns and cities once you get away from the package holiday resorts.

Last edited:

Gdansk and lviv are both brilliant

Budapest is class mind, we go a couple of times a month over the summer usually (not so much this year) and it never gets boring

Back