Most underrated/underappreciated manager we ever had.

Agree with your sentiment overall marra, but "brilliantly" is over egging the pudding a tad don't you think?🙂
Not at all. He did brilliantly. He took over a complete mess and in his first full season we finished 3rd (plus a semi final in the FA Cup) and then we won the league in his 2nd season with a truly shit team. Promoted to the Prem and given no financial backing at all and inevitably the wheels came off.

Not at all. He did brilliantly. He took over a complete mess and in his first full season we finished 3rd (plus a semi final in the FA Cup) and then we won the league in his 2nd season with a truly shit team. Promoted to the Prem and given no financial backing at all and inevitably the wheels came off.
He was given more baking than Wigan and they stayed up comfortably. It’s a myth he wasn’t backed that summer. You can argue how much but he was backed.

McCarthy was a good championship manager but very poor premier league manager.

While I agree the job he did was massively underrated, I'd suggest his assistant even more so who scouted the majority of the players that changed the club for a pittance, I forget his name though.

In my time, it's probably Lee Johnson given how much he derided and the actual job he did. Oh and Kevin Ball.
Three people had to see them play and two from Micmac, Evans, Bally & AN Other iirc had to say sign em. It was a common sense policy that was rocket science for safc. I believe MicMac saw them all play.

Knighton, Durban and although he was popular I think in general terms Smith was under rated too. Desperately unlucky to be relegated and had next to no transfer kitty.

He was given more baking than Wigan and they stayed up comfortably. It’s a myth he wasn’t backed that summer. You can argue how much but he was backed.

McCarthy was a good championship manager but very poor premier league manager.
No myth at all. Wigan spent 9 million to our 4. More than twice as much. McCarthy's hand were totally tied. He over-achieved and got a bad side promoted and wasn't given any backing to keep us up.

Three people had to see them play and two from Micmac, Evans, Bally & AN Other iirc had to say sign em. It was a common sense policy that was rocket science for safc. I believe MicMac saw them all play.

I'd suggest letting a manager committee sign the players not being common sense but it was club saving in that first two summers. As for who was responsible, I was only going off what mm said, I think he ended up at Ipswich as dof for a time that went longer than Micks time there.

I remember Bally speaking about going to watch James Maddison but thought poorly of him at the time because he was wearing pink boots.

Ha ha I always wonder whether if we hadn’t gone up courtesy of Macari we would have gone up and been better prepared the next season
Yeah could have been. We had a good core of players when we went up. Norman, Bennett, Ball, Armstrong, Owers and Gabbiadini. And Davenport seemed like a great signing at the time. One or 2 more quality additions may have kept us up but I think we underachieved that season, to be honest.

He certainly lost the plot when the pressure was on at the end. We’d won so few games over a period of time and he became self preservationist and created an entirely false narrative as to why fans were unhappy with him.

He was backed in the window Bent departed and the one after. He sold and replaced good players with inferior ones for decent money.

Overall, he did well in first season in making us solid, underachieved with a talented and expensively assembled squad in the second season and lost the plot in the third.
Tried wheeler dealing and failed.
Wasn't there a suspicion of the agents he used as well?

Back